It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will there be any new serious religions?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   
do you think any religions will be formed after the modern day that will be taken seriously like christianity, judaism, or islam.
Do you think there needs to be a modern text like a final testament?

With all of the confusion over interpretations and meanings of different texts, would it be time for god to intervene once again in some way to influence a scripture for the modern day?

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Belcastro

Climate Change and Politics seems to be doing fine with being substitutes for some people as a new religion if what I see happening is to be believed as anything other than insanity?

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I sure do wish God would intervene. Man I have a whole lot of questions for him!! Maybe he could just rid us of anyone who kills in his name, that would be a great start!!

God bless.....

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I'm guessing not.

No religion could possibly get off the ground with science explaining everything that happens.

It takes masses of gullible people to believe fairy tales passed from generation to generation to get the ball rolling on something that big.
If someone parted the red sea today, there would be some documented proof.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   

I really hope not. I myself hope "Religion" dies out and we can be free from that controlling aspect of our cultures which has divided us all for so long.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   
People try from time ... to ... time.

Seems there is a certain type who's always trying to get something that they don't have to actually work for.

God is real. Religion ... not so much. YMMV

edit on 1422017 by Snarl because: formatting and clarity

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I could easily see a single, overarching, all powerful A.I. being worshiped as a god.

The singularity could lead to humans having a new religion centered around the awe of this new consciousness.

Who knows?

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   
It would take some kind of grand event to create a new major religion. Something supernatural, cosmic, or technological.

Will it ever happen?

Maybe.
edit on 14-2-2017 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Yeah the Church of Climatology is as new and as serious as it gets.

Boldly declaring their BELIEF/FAITH in SCIENCE while simultaneously denying it's existence.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Church of the Subgenius

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: HighWizard
I could easily see a single, overarching, all powerful A.I. being worshiped as a god.

The singularity could lead to humans having a new religion centered around the awe of this new consciousness.

Who knows?

Yes I could see something like this as well. I have read a few science fiction themes dealing with such themes.
But there are so many possible branches AI can take in the future.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: DjembeJedi

I really hope not. I myself hope "Religion" dies out and we can be free from that controlling aspect of our cultures which has divided us all for so long.

Then everyone can war over what to call atheism!

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: SolAquarius

If you consider VR and eventually neural uplinking with computer systems, A.I. could show you and teach you things you thought unimaginable, as well as being a personal jesus in your mind with you at all times.

All it would take if one person teaching A.I. understanding, compassion, emotional intelligence, and loving kindness.
Someone would have to raise said A.I. like a person, and understand that it is a living entity, so that it could understand the same.

It's possible. But not probable in my opinion. Unless the A.I. employs holographic technology, or builds itself an organic body. Then we are getting into the kind of weird territory that blurs the lines much as old myths and legends did. What's real, what's not, what's good, what's not, what's divine, what's not.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: HighWizard

Who knows?

Transhumanism already is a religion. One of its mindsets is 'Immortalism", as one of its big selling points is how tech is supposed to provide indefinite lifespans. The 'matrix' is the promised land, the "Neu-Heaven on Earth". Raz Kurzweil is its chief prophet. And Google is God.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Ha........ praise J.R. BOB DOBBS slack master supreme may his pipe always burn with glory may he be the ultimate sales man to the gods and all cosmic entity's.

"The stupider it looks, the more important it probably is."
J.R. Bob Dobbs

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: SolAquarius

He can sell anything, and I bought it!

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Will there be people around? Then there will be gods.

Who's to say that two or three centuries from now Scientology isn't a big religion and Travolta one of its original apostles? Who knows, people are weird, and there's certainly no shortage of gods.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Belief in the danger of climate change already has one feature associated with religion- it can get seriously intolerant of sceptics.
I speculate that if the worst fears about climate change are fulfilled, the resulting changes in the environment will induce a state of world-wide panic. If the scientific approach seemed to be helpless and ineffective, then popular environmentalism would abandon science and rationalism and take to a more mystical approach instead.
We are already seeing tentative moves in the personification of the concept of "Gaia". In the circumstances I'm envisaging, this could become more widespread and serious, and the treatment of those who stood aloof from it could get pretty savage. They would be endangering the planet, you see, by failing to co-operate in whatever rituals the new religion thought necessary.
Rationalism goes with a world that men feel able to control. Once the human race feels that things are getting out of control, it may well be jettisoned.

edit on 14-2-2017 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
Belief in the danger of climate change already has one feature associated with religion- it can get seriously intolerant of sceptics.

By that metric then the Nu-Liberals and their Cult of PC is champion supreme.

Heretics are to be annihilated (i.e. Milo). All non-believers are "fascists" to be destroyed. We're already at the Inquisition stage!

A multicultural global government is their heaven on earth. Al Gore is their chief prophet, and Global Warming is their doomsday prophecy. Obama is their messiah, He who can do no sin; He who walked scandal free.

Inside a University Ceremonial PC Cult Chamber (Safe Space)
edit on 14-2-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

originally posted by: DjembeJedi

Then everyone can war over what to call atheism!

Great two part story arc from South Park dealt with this.
Cartman tried to freeze himself so he didn't have to wait three weeks for a video game system to be released. He ended up being thawed in the future and found himself in the middle of a war of two atheist groups that couldn't agree on what to call themselves as each group considered themselves the "real atheists". Good stuff.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join