It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dear White People boycott Netflix

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

I thought the show was trying to highlight certain aspects of life for certain types of people, through the instrument of comedy.

More like exaggerating racist stereotypes for the purpose of taking on privileged victim status under the guise of "comedy".

You guys use "comedy" for all kinds of propaganda purposes these days. That famous Tucker Carlson/Jon Stewart Debate is a great example of this back in the day. Tucker Nails Stewart several times on his hypocrisy and all Stewart can say is, "Im a comedian".

edit on 14-2-2017 by TheBulk because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 06:35 PM
link   
The movie is pretty shillish and pretty racist, but not as bad as it might have been. I do like movies set in college that use classical music for the sound track.

Actually watching it right now and the white frat boys have a stereotypical black party, eating water melon forties and purple drank. I'm all for drinking forties on mlk day but the "bad" frat in the movie take it a bit too far.
edit on 14-2-2017 by flyingdutchman2112 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk

originally posted by: introvert

I thought the show was trying to highlight certain aspects of life for certain types of people, through the instrument of comedy.

More like exaggerating racist stereotypes for the purpose of taking on privileged victim status under the guise of "comedy".

You guys use "comedy" for all kinds of propaganda purposes these days. That famous Tucker Carlson/Jon Stewart Debate is a great example of this back in the day. Tucker Nails Stewart several times on his hypocrisy and all Stewart can say is, "Im a comedian".

The Daily Show isn't a premier example of bipartisanship anymore, however comedy is, was, and will probably remain that way.

If you want to look at the partisan nature of comedy, that exists. Shock comedy is brought a lot from the Right.

Your opinion that Tucker nails John is amusing. John was fanning the flame of the first examples of 'Fake News' in that very debate. Comparing "Hardball" to the "Pro-Wrestling" of politics.

If you watched John at all during those years, he showed the inner workings of the Fox machine very well. How Fox has 'opinionated content' and claims themselves many of the actual programs people know Fox for, is 'not news'. Then, how later the programs 'source' each other for 'information' that's 'being spread around', that they literally created themselves on their Network under the guise of local News programs.

Anyway, that might seem rantish to you, but Hardball was a great example of a program that didn't exist as much to inform people, as it did to 'stir the pot' for their other programs to have more generated content.
edit on 14-2-2017 by ROBOTNINJADRAGON because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   
The creator of this show who said " F white people" is exactly the subordinate, white guilt ridden, indoctrinated caucasian snow flake role model that academia wants to create. He thinks by hating his own race makes him superior and in line with non whites, but little does he know he's nothing more than a useful idiot.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Never heard of the show til the OP opened their yap about it -- I don't browse the comedy section, period. Therefore I DGAF about the show or it's premise to begin with. Ergo, LOL, no, I'm bot boycotting Netflix ya dolt.

Edit: I will wager sight unseen that it's still better than anything Comedy Central airs. It's a low bar, I know.
edit on 2/14/2017 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: flyingdutchman2112

The word is, this new show will instigate black teens to torture mentally disabled white people.

Did you watch the new trailer? It shows black teens getting revenge.

edit on 14-2-2017 by imitator because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: TheBulk

Have you watched the show?

You guys use "comedy" for all kinds of propaganda purposes these days.

Who's "you guys"?

That famous Tucker Carlson/Jon Stewart Debate is a great example of this back in the day. Tucker Nails Stewart several times on his hypocrisy and all Stewart can say is, "Im a comedian".

That's because hypocrisy is used as part of his comedic style. It's sad that "you guys" take your politics so serious that you cannot appreciate comedy, or many other talents for that matter.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

same thing, man. same damn thing.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

The show won't be seen by anyone. It doesn't exist.

It's a 10-episode series that will premiere April 28, I'm surprised they didn't pick April 1.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Dear White People was a hilarious movie and I can't wait to watch the show.

The fact the somewhere some snowflake is triggered will make it even better.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Dear White People was a hilarious movie and I can't wait to watch the show.

The fact the somewhere some snowflake is triggered will make it even better.

We got some virtue here!

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: HighWizard

There is a natural white privilege in American, and it is ingrained in us from the beginning, and is part of what it means to be American.

Yeah like there's a natural black privilege in Africa, or a natural Arab privilege in Saudi Arabia?

GTFO

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   
More hate and double standards from the party of inclusion and tolerance.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   
If you get rid of Netflix, you won't be able to use "Netflix and chill" anymore.

You're going to have to find a new euphemism.
edit on 2017-02-14T20:19:16-06:002201714America/Chicago2 by c2oden because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: c2oden

Slap the meats around?

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Netflix and chill? Really means do you want come over and have sex.

I hope I didn't make parents all over yell "oh my God (insert childs name)"
edit on 2017-02-14T20:26:17-06:002201714America/Chicago2 by c2oden because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 08:25 PM
link   

What time should I come over?

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 08:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic

What time should I come over?

Crack me up.
I saw that coming.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: imitator

I did a bit of a "speed read" through this thread so my apologies if the following sentiments were already described....

The "war on whites" is about as legitimate as the "war on women." It's nonsensical in any tangible way but it does exist in the pop culture (and pop news) realms. In this same imaginary land, "white privilege" exists as well.

Part 1: White Privilege

I think the concept of "White Privilege" is one of the most wonderfully crafted pieces of fiction to ever be created. It takes the wooden handle of jealousy that reside in some people's spirit and provides two prongs to create a fork. It creates a two-for-one reason, a two-for-one excuse for some people whom have never worked to improve their lot in life. It also explains away how some other people have managed to grow from their starting point and fabricate real careers and purchase homes and automobiles and start families and send their kids to decent schools, while they, themselves, remain stagnant.

Fork Prong 1: I didn't succeed because I'm a minority. (An excuse)

Fork Prong 2: HE/SHE only succeeded because he/she is white. (Another excuse)

The fact that people from all backgrounds have risen above their humble beginnings to create a better life for themselves and their families be damned. After all, that takes work and diligence and determination and "grit." It doesn't fit the lazy (intellectual or otherwise) person's narrative.

Part 2: Netflix's Value

About a year and a half ago (or at least the distant history when ATS discussed things other than Trump/Hillary/Burney) there were a few threads about raising money for ATS. "Would you pay ____ for ____ additional services." In the threads that I commented on I essentially said I would never give one red cent to ATS because I didn't see a value there. (I still stand behind that, by the way). It is (or was) a well run site and I wished (and still wish) the proprietors well with their advertising income, but I wouldn't get enough return on investment to give a single penny to them.

Netflix, on the other hand, provides me, my wife and my son hours and hours of commercial free entertainment (when we actually have a chance to lounge around and watch mindless television).

Is Netflix airing "Dear White People" engaging in propaganda? Sure thing. Are there dozens (if not hundreds) of other propaganda pieces airing on Netflix on a wide range of topics? Without a doubt.

In my mind, my few-dollars-per-month subscription fee outweighs the potential damage that Netflix is doing because....

Part 3: I'm not entirely comfortable about this but it is the Truth

I do my best to be a good person (with varying degrees of success). Typically I try not to tear people down and all that... However... I also live in the real world...

My wife and I worked our rear ends off to get to where we are (I'm PROUD to say homeowners and drivers of late model automobiles and parents of a kid that attends a great private school and our future retirement plans are already in effect).

I've witnessed parents of our child's age instilling in them the White Privilege myths (or things like that...), I've seen the "It's not YOU'RE fault" thing happening....

I want everyone to succeed but I also realize there are people our there that will NOT put in the effort to succeed and are NOT instilling the "basics" in their kids.

I hate to say this but those people out there... those losers with the loser mentality that are passing it on to their kids.... I know how bad this sounds but I'm in a way glad that they are thinning out the competition for our son. Those who have parents that are filling their kids' heads with "poor me" nonsense will be the kids that will grow up bagging my kids' groceries or filling my kids' cars with gas (assuming robots haven't taken those jobs yet).

In conclusion............ Netflix hasn't ticked me off THAT much yet.

And let the haters and losers and lazy bums hate...... Winners are going to find a way to win.

edit on 14-2-2017 by eluryh22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: ROBOTNINJADRAGON

originally posted by: seagull
How about, if you don't want to watch it, don't?

I've got all sorts of things to watch on Netflix, so I've got more important things to do than to worry about than "faux outrage of the day".

Now there's a show I might watch...

"Faux Outrage"

No! We are "Republican"! We boycott everything that we disagree with! Financial terrorism is our specialty in numbers!

Especially us Religious! You've never seen such organization you commie bastards! We even boycott Tipping!!!!

You think you deserve extra money because you have a $3 slave wage? I'm sure you'd like 20 extra bucks, have a revelation about your final judgement instead.

You can thank me later for controlling your life, enjoy.

Thats just poor form. Tipping generously its like witnessing to Jesus's giving to others. God put them in your path for a reason so treating them poorly is just like you did the same to God and Jesus as well. You are not to put yourself in the poorhouse but also not screw over your server.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join