It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump, the lunar economy, and who owns the Moon?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Maybe they want to use private commercial rights to positions on the moon? While I am skeptical of doing this at the same time its the F'ing moon it's not like it is being used currently anyway. I also like to think that he possibly knows something we don't but that could just be wishful thinking.

As long as I have a chance to buy up some moon farms I am all about it. I suppose I would homestead the moon in 20 years if I had to.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   
How is it possible to land on and establish a 'base' on a section of a moon without occupying such a space?

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Trump, the lunar economy, and who owns the Moon?

I view space much like the beginning of this country.

Who ever got here/there first owns it.

Well, that didn't exactly work out with the U.S.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

Worked out great for the US.

Think you mean Britain,France,Spain,Russia.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Really?

I meant the Native Americans.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

Really?

I meant the Native Americans.

As luck would have it.

There aren't any natives on the moon, maybe Mars.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

There's a difference between occupying, and staking a claim to space. Occupation is indefinite, sure, but not eternal. While staking a claim to something states that it belongs to you forever and ever, amen.

I recently lived overseas with a spouse stationed at an american military installation in an allied country. The base and the land belong to that nation after we leave, but we built it and our military owns and operates that facility.

That's how that works.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   

I don't think the rocks on Mars will be putting up much resistance, but you never know.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: HighWizard
a reply to: TheScale

Well, if the governments purpose is to advance knowledge and ability scientifically and technologically, why are we bothering to go back and reprove technology from decades ago? Nasa's next goal should be Mars. That's where we have not gone before.

If companies want to go to the Moon and secure resources, let them go for it. Fine. If the U.S. wants to build an exploration operating facility there, fine. If private individuals want to homestead the moon, fantastic. But I don't believe for a second that our government should be focusing on harnessing the moons resources. There's no need for it. If Trump and his buddies want private companies all over the moon, that's cool, but don't tell me that my government needs to foot the bill for setting up ways to get there.

We are a capitalist nation all day long, we are not a corporate well-fare fund. That's NOT why I pay taxes.

Don't get me twisted for some whining hypocritical liberal. I love capitalism because I want to be filthy rich, and powerful, and I want to be able to create whatever I please whenever. To that capitalist end, I believe that our government should stay out of capital affairs. I think the government is responsible for funding our exploration and furthering our understanding. I don't believe in American Imperialism. I don't believe that we have any claim over the moon, nor does any other nation.

i can understand your viewpoint but at the same time this really is no different then when we first went to the moon. thousands of companies across the US received federal money for what some consider americas greatest moment in the modern age. those advancements helped the US command the world stage for decades. i myself am abit leary aswell cause generally their is massive bloat when federal grants are concerned and believe the private sector should be able to support itself. on the other hand, to achieve something great that has a high amount of risk and the possibility of immense losses when attempting it, then i feel like we need a mission goal laid out to achieve with the money being the carrot on the stick. i think we can all agree that the exploration of space is a great goal for mankind as a whole. establishing a foothold on the moon imo is the most logical next step.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Three points...

1. We'll have to await US policy that outlines how things wll happen, rather than relying on a single source that is speculating.
2. You don't need to claim ownership of the moon to mine the moon.
3. Mining the moon will not be commercially viable. Not yet anyway.

Good luck.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: TheScale

I agree that the work done with the original moon mission was good and necessary. I think that its done though. We know how to get to the moon. The Government has poured the research grants into companies to build space habitats and all.

As for the moon being our next logical step. That is where we disagree. I think mars is our next logical step. We decided to build a space station over building a moon base because its easier to stage missions from closer to home.

The Space Launch System, when Nasa brings it online, will be more than capable of lifting right off of earth and slipping out to Mars with ease. It's what it was designed to do. Even Mars might be to close to home for Nasa's next project in my opinion, with Elon Musk and SpaceX having already debuted their designs for an interplanetary transport system to ferry people to mars starting sometime in the next decade. (their plan, not my estimate.)

If I had my say over NASA, their Eagleworks lab would become their primary mission. If american wants to impress me, we need to have a concerted effort to defeat the limitation of light speed on interstellar travel. As well as generally advancing other cutting edge and game changing space fairing technologies.

Nasa is a R&D, and exploration facility in my opinion. It's not our space military. It's not our colonization effort.... yet.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Three points...

1. We'll have to await US policy that outlines how things wll happen,

You mean the Presidential tweet, right? And we should move along now, 'cuz there's nothing to see here?

rather than relying on a single source that is speculating.

Like how the NSA's tapes proving Flynn was lying didn't do the trick - and it took full public disclosure by the media to generate any official action?

3. Mining the moon will not be commercially viable. Not yet anyway.

Good luck.

I think that's why the President wants to focus on "boosting human activity in the cislunar region—the space between the Earth and the moon—as opposed to venturing deeper into the solar system. The space agency’s main goal, they say, should be “the large-scale economic development of space.”

Thanks.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
a reply to: HighWizard

Well hello again Wizard. I agree with crow that any space or moon initiatives that Trump endorses are really only so he can try for a bigger piece of the pie. You also point out that you believe that he will do and say anything in pursuit of money and power for himself and his cohorts which is to me is a true understanding of his presidency.

Trump is a single minded man. All of it directed to those goals, money power and the support system to keep it rolling.

You know You could substitute Trump with Obama in Your reply and it would be equally TRUE.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: jkm1864

And I hated and cautiously watched Obama too.

I'm not into partisan politics.

I am skeptical and mistrusting of all of those shifty SOBs.

Stop trying to paint anyone who disagrees with your fearless leader as a liberal.
That's some pathetic pundit behavior and it's getting really really old.
leave it on the cable news channels for pete's sake.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   

My concern is that maybe Trump just wants to position himself and his buddies to do the looting, raping and pillaging - not just on Earth, but also on the Moon, and in space too.

Looting who? Raping who? Pillaging who?

Seriously, it's a big space rock full of minerals. Stake a claim and start mining.
edit on 14-2-2017 by swedy13 because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-2-2017 by swedy13 because: Spelling

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Normally we have borders, and "occupation" is what happens when one external rule takes lordship of such a space.

Landing on a new globe lacking traditional boundaries and sorting it out with other groups is a concept not know since like caveman times (unless we're to include video game dimensions).

Other nations are vying to get action going on on the moon as well. New treaties will be sorted out. How it's supposedly going to play out this new paradigm is stuff everyone needs to start figuring out now actually.

As long as 'groups' dont start drawing up borders then it will take a while for a war to happen up there, I surmise.

Therefore talking bout going up there and doing stuff shouldn't seem bad, unless people are talking about CLAIMING it.

edit on 14-2-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

The article quoted in the op specifically talked about developing property rights

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: swedy13

To be fair, the quote you used said not just on Earth. So raping earthlings. But in space, you could apply the native mindset to nature and consider stripping the moon of its resources to be it's own form of raping, pillaging and looting. You need not be so literal, a metaphor is equally if not more effective language.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: angryproctologist
a reply to: soficrow

Americans were the first to plant a flag,so,I'm sorry.

All your moon are belong to us.
Sounds good to me. Let's just fly our spaceships up there to lay or claim...oh wait. We're borrowing Russia's. Wah wah.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Well whole idea I'll be having to keep an eye on then.....

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join