It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tennessee Considers Bill To Protect Drivers Who Hit Protesters

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t
There are many videos of violent leftists "protestors" assaulting drivers particularly White drivers and dragging them out of their vehicles. Innocent bystanders need to be protected from blood thirsty mobs bigly. Many such cases. Sad.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Protest on a lawn or sidewalk.
You have the absolute right to protest, just not where ever you want to.

Regardless, we shouldn't be rewarding people for being careless with a multi-ton vehicle.

Could be argued that they are protecting Freedom of Movement rights, since blocking the roads are illegal anyways.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   

a reply to: rickymouse

It would be the semi's fault for not seeing a large group of protesters blocking cross traffic. In fact, he'd likely be speeding if he couldn't slow down after seeing such a sight. Though I'd imagine that if a protest is clogging up traffic in one direction at an intersection, there is QUITE a bit of traffic slowing down any cross traffic.

Have you ever driven a semi. They do not stop on a dime. Maybe you should talk to a few semi-drivers about this, I have lots of friends that drive semi's or pull equipment trailers. If the Semi driver is not expecting your wife's car to stop, they do not slow down too much.

I am talking about a group blocking the entrance to a parking lot your wife is going into to get some groceries or something.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Regardless, we shouldn't be rewarding people for being careless with a multi-ton vehicle.

A bounty is a reward.
And we would we allow people to break laws to protest?

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: DrStevenBrule

So? That isn't indicative of every protest; plus it is illegal to do that as well. It's not like the rioters (because lets be honest that is no longer protesting) are going to get off the hook for doing that. YET we want to let drivers off the hook for just plowing through protesters. Sure the bill author SAYS that intentionally doing that will be prosecuted, but the wording is vague and a good lawyer could argue loops around that wording.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 11:04 AM
link   

A bounty is a reward.
And we would we allow people to break laws to protest?

Protests can't always be contained to the sidewalks. With enough bodies, eventually they spill out onto the streets. Answer this question. Which of the two, driving or protesting, is a right and which is a privilege? And which is protected by the Constitution?
edit on 14-2-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Good for Tenn.

I'm okay with this law.

People can protest anywhere they like.

And take their chances doing so.

I never seen the sense in preventing people from getting where they need to go.

Most of those people have jobs and kids to get to.

And what is preventing them from getting to where those people gotta go, helping any cause?

Plus, i'm not going to sit, trapped in any protest group, and hope that some nut case & company don't try to take me outta my car and beat me down.

We were taught as children don't play in the streets, it applies to adults also.
edit on 14-2-2017 by Black_Fox because: SpELLiNg

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   

So you are saying that as a semi driver, it is common practice to barrel down city streets without checking whats in front of you? I mean protests cause tons of traffic. It should be obvious you are driving up to a protest.

By the way, I don't have a wife so your emotional appeal won't work on me. There is no reason to blame protesters for a vehicular collision that resulted from one or both of the drivers not paying attention (like who starts a turn into a parking lot without first making sure the way is clear first?)

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: DrStevenBrule

Ok.

Then I'll share my thoughts here as well.

This is great news. Tennessee actually cares about the safety and well being of it's citizens.

With any luck other states will follow.

People need to be able to protect themselves from violent leftist "protestors".

It doesn't need to be violent leftists protesting, a bunch of hyped up protestors could wander out into traffic and get hit. The driver going five miles an hour could still not stop in time being distracted by all the people and still strike the person who wasn't paying attention and walked out in front of them. The protestors need to be considerate, I understand they have the right to protest and I believe in that right. I just can't believe they have the right to disrupt everyone's life. They are bullying people when they do that, they usually get their way by inconveniencing the people, not by being right.

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Do you want a list of rights in the Constitution that have restrictions?
A right is not an excuse to break laws.
edit on 14-2-2017 by Bluntone22 because: Spelling

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Like I said in the other thread, I don't think the law is advocating for people to get run over, but to send a message to those that want to protest. Stay off the roads!

I don't agree with this at all and anybody dumb enough to stand in front of a vehicle or dumb enough to run through a crowd is just stupidly insane.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Do you want a list of rights in the Constitution that have restrictions?
A right is not an excuse to break laws.

Yes but that still doesn't mean that driving takes preference over a right. Protests fill streets whether you like this fact or not. It really doesn't matter either because it would also be really hard for the police to arrest or cite all those people.

What happened to all the outrage on protesting zones in colleges? This is an even worse infringement on our right to protest.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 11:11 AM
link   
It's only a matter of time.

A conservative protestor is going to get ran over and killed and those who cheer this on will suddenly flop positions.

Ah, but I digress for in alt-ATS land there is only extremist violent lefties protesting.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: RomeByFire

A conservative protestor is going to get ran over and killed and those who cheer this on will suddenly flop positions.

Ah, but I digress for in alt-ATS land there is only extremist violent lefties protesting.

Nope, I'd call him a moron for illegally protesting in the road and not getting out of the way.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 11:16 AM
link   

a reply to: TrueBrit

Plus driving is a privilege, not a right. And protesting IS a right. Right trumps privilege ANY day.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

This is not the first time I've noticed you being difficult. I'm surprised you don't have a green background on your profile avatar. So, slime ball is bad language? I think not. Maybe you could stop worrying about what thread goes where and let the mods take care of that. Lord knows they are heavy handed anyway. Heil Mods!

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: RomeByFire

You digress quite a bit, maybe thats why you are only able to make broad strokes and miss small details.

The irony is that the "flip-flop" HAS been happening already, and guess from where?
edit on 14-2-2017 by knowledgehunter0986 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   

So you are saying that as a semi driver, it is common practice to barrel down city streets without checking whats in front of you? I mean protests cause tons of traffic. It should be obvious you are driving up to a protest.

By the way, I don't have a wife so your emotional appeal won't work on me. There is no reason to blame protesters for a vehicular collision that resulted from one or both of the drivers not paying attention (like who starts a turn into a parking lot without first making sure the way is clear first?)

The protest can distract a driver and a semi or truck pulling equipment or a trailer stopping at ten miles per hour takes a lot of room. Accidents happen but usually someone or something causes the accident. I have had to avoid many accidents in my life, a couple of them I could not avoid.

So since you do not have a wife, how about your kid brother or sister?

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Actually. I'm just not going to bite on your emotional appeal because you are trying to craft it so I abandon logic and blame the protesters out of grief. If you start turning into a parking lot without looking to see if the entranceway is blocked and get t-boned because of it, then that is your fault. Related to me or not.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   

How are you protecting yourself by running someone over with a multi-ton vehicle

ask Reginald Denny

if he would have stepped on the throttle, and run over a couple the rest would have scattered like the cock roaches.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join