It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian spy ship off the east coast of US, officials say

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Breaking !!

A Russian spy ship was seen patrolling off the East Coast of the United States on Tuesday morning, the first such patrol since President Trump took office, officials told Fox News.

The Russian spy ship was 70 miles off the coast of Delaware, heading north at 10 knots, according to one official. That location means the ship is in international waters. The U.S. territory line is 12 nautical miles.

It was not immediately clear where the Russian spy ship was headed.

The ship, the SSV-175 Viktor Leonov, last sailed near the U.S. in April 2015, an official said. The ship is capable of intercepting communications or signals, known as SIGINT, as well as measuring U.S. Navy sonar capability, a separate official said.

Russian spy ship off the east coast of US, officials say

Russian spy ship close to the coast of Delaware right now !!

What could they possibly be looking for ?

Story claims the ship has missiles too !!

Very alarming.

edit on Feb-14-2017 by xuenchen because: . . . _ _ _ . . .

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   
You see Russian SIGINT boats all over the place. It's not that unusual.

eta: I might add, we do the same thing, all over the place. We are at times a bit more discreet, but not always.
edit on 14-2-2017 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

+7 more 
posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Wow. A Russian spy ship off our coast. This is almost as exciting as Russian aircraft flying near Alaska.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
Wow. A Russian spy ship off our coast. This is almost as exciting as Russian aircraft flying near Alaska.

Or as exciting as RAF jets 'intercepting' Russian bombers close to U.K. air space, as if it never happened before. Getting tired of these news reports about Russia spying and how close they are to western countries blah blah all in a days work for the military .. whether your Russian or American

Why do people get alarmed by it and assume it's something terrible happening

+13 more 
posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Obviously Gen. Flynn is gonna make a swim for it.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Slow news day

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

We don't generally get edgy about it until they get really ballsy and try to put a 'fishing boat' in the Chesapeake or something.

But hell, we do some crazy # ourselves. I recall a young guy a few decades back who was riding around in a 'dive boat' with his buddies off the coast of Cuber getting and putting "oceanic monitoring devices" just a RCH outside their territorial waters.

Looked just like a tourist dive boat. They even caught fish and drank beer, after the getting and putting bits.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Moby just told me on IIRC that BuzzFeed was spotted on a rubber dingy craft meeting with the ship. Their purple haired reporter was seen boarding the ship with a green duffel bag, and exited it with a yellow folder.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   
we should send a vodka tanker to lure them out to sea

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I might add, the US runs more than one extremely fine school for doing just such a thing to the other guys. One of my favorites is (snaps to attention and salutes) Corry Station.

Corry, among other things, does/did provide a part of an Echo's nutritious training breakfast, but mostly trains folks that will be stationed on small, nondescript boats that sometimes do and sometimes don't exactly belong to the US military, sorta kinda, but will be putting around with suspiciously antenna-looking masts and lines near our friends and enemies. Just. Like. This.

Only Corry does a much better job, if I do say so myself.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Russian spy ship close to the coast of Delaware right now !!

What could they possibly be looking for ?

Donald hired them to intercept comms to try to locate the source of his leaks.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Personally, I like when they tapped the phone line in Soviet harbors.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 10:20 AM
link   
They are probably waiting for Michael Flynn to jump shore.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   
During the Cold War, it was Soviet 'Trawlers' that were used as spy ships.

They were outfitted to look like trawlers ( a type of commercial fishing boat) because a trawler lent itself to concealing antennas and such.
Soviet AGI Trawlers

As the United States Navy began deploying ballistic missile submarines in 1960, the Soviet Union attempted to obtain more information about the capabilities of the UGM-27 Polaris missile and the locations of the submarines capable of launching them. While the Soviet Navy requested more sophisticated ships, they were allocated trawlers (called tral’shchiki) from the fishing fleet equipped with more sophisticated sensors and communication equipment. Very capable crews were assigned to these little trawlers of unremarkable appearance, and they were assigned to patrol stations off United States Naval bases to photograph and report arrival and departure of United States warships and auxiliaries. Other trawlers of similar appearance would patrol weapons firing ranges used by the United States Navy to observe practice firings of modern weapons and record the acoustic and/or electromagnetic signature of the sonar, search radar, fire-control radar, guidance, and/or command electronics of each weapons system.[8] The United States Navy officially designated these trawlers as Auxiliary, General Intelligence or AGI, and they were informally known as tattletales.[9] An AGI might be assigned to a single patrol station for as long as six months before being relieved by a similar AGI. These AGIs were not fast enough to keep up with most warships, but they sometimes congregated around aircraft carriers conducting air operations of the United States Sixth Fleet in the Mediterranean or United States Seventh Fleet in the western Pacific, or in suspected patrol areas of ballistic missile submarines. After the Cuban Missile Crisis, the Joint Chiefs of Staff authorized a counter AGI program for United States destroyers to come alongside the AGIs to push against them, foul their screws with steel nets, and focus high power electromagnetic transmitters to burn out the amplifying circuitry of their electronic sensors. The AGI crews then revealed their ship-handling skills using superior maneuverability to evade the destroyers' intentions. This jousting in international waters continued until signing of the U.S.–Soviet Incidents at Sea agreement in 1972

edit on b000000282017-02-14T10:26:41-06:0010America/ChicagoTue, 14 Feb 2017 10:26:41 -06001000000017 by butcherguy because: Fixed link.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 10:31 AM
link   

a reply to: Bedlam

Personally, I like when they tapped the phone line in Soviet harbors.

I wish I could remember the name of the book that I read that had that story and the story of the submarine that located the Soviet sub (K129) that sank in the Pacific that was later raised by the CIA using the Glomar Explorer.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Red Star Rogue was a good one about that. Really interesting twist to the story.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Red Star Rogue was a good one about that. Really interesting twist to the story.

I went looking at that and saw Blind Man's Bluff as being one that I had read.
Now I have several books to read, Red Star Rogue and All Hands Down being at the head of the list.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Scorpion Down is better than All Hands Down. He builds a really good case for a cover up.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Bit of a bugger now that Hillary is not in office, the emails have dried up
Didn't see this coming

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Did you see the picture of the spy ship?

I wonder if it has lasers.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join