It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life on the gas giants

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 10:20 PM
link   
The possibility of life on the gas giants seems too far stretched.There are so many reasons why this is.One very known reason is the planets temperature.Another is the harmful gases to life.And the surface of these planets.

Yet some scientist agree that the possibility of life does not seem to far fetched afterall.And i agree after having researched astronomy for a decade now.We all probably know why this possibilty arises.

All the giants,especially Jupiter and Neptune hold extremely hot cores.The one on jupiter is 5000 degress (9000F)alone.Thats just as much as the suns surface.But where does life come in.As you all probably know,all the gas giants hold a liquid surface below the deep gas atmosphere.What if these cores possibly heated these vast liquid oceans and this making a temperate part of this ocean 1000`s/10,000`s of miles away from the core.From here aquatic life,most likely small,could of evolved and adapted to the gas planets harsh weather and atmospheric systems.And maby they may have evolved a way of breathing something besides oxygen.

I know this may seem out of order,but it seems logical to me.But i would like to see what most of you think of this.Do you believe there is a possibility?

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Well I guess you would have to start out by defining "life."

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 10:37 PM
link   
there is a possibilty for anything.

I think we can all agree by "Life" we mean something in an organismic state characterized by capacity for metabolism, growth, reaction to stimuli, and reproduction

for there to be life there needs to be a stable area where DNA (or something like it) can form and replicate. if you do not have that stable area then there is no chance.

who knows, it could be life that we may never know could exist... or even comprehend

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 10:51 PM
link   
What about this:

"An organized, non-random, response to external stimuli."

Rather general, but it wouldn't restrict ourselves to earthlike life forms.

[edit on 30-1-2005 by HowardRoark]

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by blackSt33L
The possibility of life on the gas giants seems too far stretched.There are so many reasons why this is.One very known reason is the planets temperature.Another is the harmful gases to life.And the surface of these planets.

Yet some scientist agree that the possibility of life does not seem to far fetched afterall.And i agree after having researched astronomy for a decade now.We all probably know why this possibilty arises.

All the giants,especially Jupiter and Neptune hold extremely hot cores.The one on jupiter is 5000 degress (9000F)alone.Thats just as much as the suns surface.But where does life come in.As you all probably know,all the gas giants hold a liquid surface below the deep gas atmosphere.What if these cores possibly heated these vast liquid oceans and this making a temperate part of this ocean 1000`s/10,000`s of miles away from the core.From here aquatic life,most likely small,could of evolved and adapted to the gas planets harsh weather and atmospheric systems.And maby they may have evolved a way of breathing something besides oxygen.

I know this may seem out of order,but it seems logical to me.But i would like to see what most of you think of this.Do you believe there is a possibility?

Good topic,i have wondered this many times myself.
If there is heat,and liquid,than id say the chances for life are pretty good,doesnt have to be complex life,just a single cell will do.
I have noticed that astronomers love to lump things,like.....mars is a dry barren dead planet,theres no chance for life in our solar system,life cant exist in those conditions etc etc.
we are constantly being surprised,and there are many surprises left.
i would imagine that a planet the size of jupiter will be very complex,if i was a betting man,id bet that we will find life there,and in many other places in our solar system.i may be wrong though.

new topics

top topics

join