It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is a Universal Basic Income(UBI) coming?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

Ahh, I see and can agree with some aspects of what you are saying. But then again will a decentralized system keep things cheap? I suspect not. I think we are far to reactive instead of preventative. I mean, wanna solve immigration....fix why they left their country. I should imagine it's a lot cheaper to. This could certainly solve a bit of the decentralization.

If you think about it though, and this is why I think this time is different, the aircraft and auto industries are the last of the well paid, mega people hiring industries. Ones that could support a middle class lifestyle. Nobody is even modeling a business idea with lots of employees in mind. People are indeed inventive, but, not on a scale to keep up with the jobs being lost.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Neith
Lets say this really takes place and robots take over 75% of all jobs.

Those who haven't a job, will be forced to reinvent themselves and create products the 'robotic industry' can't. Personalized products, things you can't buy from a store will become the new Vogue thing to do.

If people invest the money they're given, wisely, they'll come up with something. People are inventive, they will always come up with an idea no one's heard of or if changed enough will appear new. People in the future may even rebel against the Industry and bring it to it's knees.

Seems you, lakenheath and others are fixated on the idea that only "THINGS" have value. That the only legitimate endeavor is the 'production' of THINGS.

Time for a rethink, imho.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

Well unless you are going to pay someone for their thoughts, then what else is their to fixate on?
You could barter, but that is exchanging things. EVERYTHING of value is a thing. Food, water, only air is free.

We are past the manufacturing age, and have entered this new age, so perhaps my pea-brain just can' grasp any other concept. It is going to be extraordinarily difficult to replace something thousands of years old.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

Not at all. For example, time and caring have value but are not 'things.' You yourself have suggested 'charity work' that might involve such commitments. Also, many art forms involve creations that are not 'things,' or permanent, and are nonetheless valuable. ...Just off the top of my head.

Of interest (not a great article, but not bad)...

Your Most-Pressing Universal Basic Income Questions Answered

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join