It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should an opiate overdose mean the suspension of your drivers license?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 10:32 AM
link   
If driving, yes obviously suspend the license. But if you aren't behind the wheel and the situation has NOTHING to do with driving WHY suspend a license???

Unfortunately, this will probably pass as there are already similar laws. I was arrested for having a session or 2 worth of cannabis and sense I didn't take probation or a plea deal and just took the conviction on my record they suspended my drivers license for 6 months

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Sounds like common sense to me, in the same way that epileptics here can be banned from driving for a certain of amount of time after a seizure.

Not so much a punishment, as a cautionary measure.

Reckon it stands to reason that if someone tries to top themselves, they're more likely to be of a risk to themselves and others.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: JakeR777

Unfortunately, this will probably pass as there are already similar laws. I was arrested for having a session or 2 worth of cannabis and sense I didn't take probation or a plea deal and just took the conviction on my record they suspended my drivers license for 6 months

Good thing, in my neck of the woods, deliveries services abound!

I wonder, did you have to pay extra for auto insurance after your license suspension?

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   
As a former addict myself (who has overdosed a number of times), i think an option of treatment should be given before any negative consequences. Completing a treatment program will save more lives and do more good than any type of punishment will. If you want fix a problem, you can REALLY fix it by addressing it at its core.
Imposing punishments for makng poor choices sends the wrong message in so many ways.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: EternalSolace

Sad. Opiate addiction is a disease, not a crime. Punishing addicts won't help the problem one bit!

Are a lot of people getting injured by opiate users driving under the influence while overdosing?

Well, if they're shooting up, it would allow a distinction of extremes. And hinder their ability to easily go get it.

IS that the goal, you think? Make it hard for those that have ODed to get their hands on the stuff, because their driver's license was suspended? Think again!

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: erikthegreen
Just for your information, I have epilepsy. I have what my consultant neurologist called one of its "atypical" forms. So I am probably more aware of epilepsy than many are. And epilepsy is not a disease, it's a medical condition. Also called a "chronic neurological disorder".

So I guess as you don't know that, you are not an epileptic.

By the way, I did not have my license taken away, because my particular epileptic condition is well controlled and I am not a risk to the public. That was the opinion of the neurologist, who in the country I live in had the right (and duty) to have my driving privileges immediately revoked if he thought I would be a danger.

I am not sure why your own response to me has what seems quite aggressive in tone. I have known people who died from using opiates. I know how they can mess people up. My main point was that if a state or country has legislation that allows authorities to withdraw licenses on a "reason to believe" basis -- rather than verified fact -- it is open to abuse and also very hard to fight against.

I agree that "overdose" is a strong word. It also concerns me that the proposed legislation does not define it. Apparently it will be left up to the individual medical practitioners. And again, that's an issue, because what one mught see as an overdose, another might not.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join