It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Peek Into the Black Mirror Reveals Our Future: Scientists Developing Robots for Pollination

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Scientists in Japan’s National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology are developing drones which could cross-pollinate crops and flowers in the face of declining bee populations. The current prototype is 4 centimeters long and weighs 15 grams, and is controlled remotely. The drones are covered in horse hair and a sticky gel in an attempt to mimic the composition of nature's bees, and have been used to successfully cross-pollinate lilies without harming the delicate stamens or pistols of the flower. The next step is to develop autonomous bots with artificial intelligence, high-resolution cameras, and GPS in order that they may independently track their targets.

www.newscientist.com...

So what could possibly go wrong? I'm glad you asked! The incredible and cutting edge Netflix series Black Mirror has addressed many of the issues we may be facing in the upcoming couple of years. If you haven't already watched the series, it is amazing and well worth the time.

Here's the episode which addresses robotic bees in full for your viewing pleasure (I apologize.. can't seem to find a better quality vid- if you are interested, I'd recommend you do a bit of digging around Youtube-- Season 3 Episode 6 Hated in the Nation):

ATS, eager to hear your thoughts!

edit on 13-2-2017 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Great, now we can blackmail the farmers for cash and manipulate the market even more.
Just imagine what people would have to pay for crops pollinated.....
Or what you'll pay to not have disease spread to your crop..
It's too bad we're killing all the nice little creatures that do this work for free....
I bet Monsanto loves this.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 09:04 PM
link   
In my opinion, addressing the problem (declining bees) rather than the cause (pesticides) could very well lead to so many other, unforseen problems.

Expedient does not always mean correct.

To be fair, the article does mention that the drones are meant to supplement, rather than replace, the bees.

Also some are working to develop more financially sound solutions:
(from article linked above)

Several more financially viable strategies for tackling the bee decline are currently being pursued, says Cunningham. These include better management of bees through the use of fewer pesticides, breeding crop varieties that can self-pollinate instead of relying on cross-pollination, and the use of machines to spray pollen over crops.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Natas0114

Exactly. I'm sure Monsanto will soon be in the business of selling us bottled air once we have fully sullied nature's own.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Oh man does that mean my honey will have a metallic taste?

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I wonder if they will have a stinger.
Just to keep it all real.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

Dunno.. but on the episode I linked they were burrowing into people's brains via their ears at the behest of hackers.

So if a stinger is the worst they got, I think we'd be getting off easy!

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

I will have to watch the video when i have the time, but this seems to scare me because i feel science should focus on the cure for the bees dying...more-so than planning on them dying off.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 10:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov
In my opinion, addressing the problem (declining bees) rather than the cause (pesticides) could very well lead to so many other, unforseen problems.

Expedient does not always mean correct.

To be fair, the article does mention that the drones are meant to supplement, rather than replace, the bees.

Also some are working to develop more financially sound solutions:
(from article linked above)

Several more financially viable strategies for tackling the bee decline are currently being pursued, says Cunningham. These include better management of bees through the use of fewer pesticides, breeding crop varieties that can self-pollinate instead of relying on cross-pollination, and the use of machines to spray pollen over crops.
Thank you for posting this...and i believe wholeheartedly we need to address the cause.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: peppycat

I agree fully peppycat. We already know the potential dangers bees bring (minimal for most)..they are predictable.. but there is no telling what potential harm drone bees may cause.

You would think scientists would know that. Although, as mentioned by another poster above, where is the money in protecting our preexisting natural resources?

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Another concern for me to put on my list of things to write my congressmen about...I am hoping to plant bee and monarch butterfly flowers this year...(my itty bitty part to help bees along)
I am thinking there must be small local groups working on bee conservation...something your thread is inspiring me to do.
my guess concerning what scientists should know is based on who gives them their funding money..and that directs what they focus on...maybe no one is funding enough in regards to preexisting natural resources...?
I'm a bit scarred to watch the video...for some reason.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 10:53 PM
link   

It truly cheers my heart to know you are planning a proactive response to this problem. It's so easy (for me) to get discouraged in the face of all the bad news which can be paralyzing. Small steps is an excellent response. Thank you.

Oh and all of those Black Mirror episodes are fascinating.. but also so disturbing. Not sure I'd recommend if you're on the extreme sensitive side..

Keep up the good fight, now you've inspired me as well!

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 11:03 PM
link   

It is good to connect with like minded folks.
I am so glad i stumbled upon your thread today!
It is the thoughtfulness of others, taking time to share that helps the world go round, thank you for your OP!

my fight starts with more weeding!

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Great to connect with you too!
Yes, there is good news and caring folk everywhere all we have to do is be open to it!
Seek and you will find and all that..
Lol, good luck with that weeding- satisfying but oh so tedious

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 08:30 AM
link   

This is a terrible idea.

Nature will solve the problem. Bees are one of many pollinating creatures, and they share a niche market with flies, wasps, etc. With less bees, we will see more of another insect filling its niche.

The loss would be honey. And boy oh boy what a loss that would be.

But plants will continue to pollinate, just like before bees ever evolved. If we go injecting ourselves into it, it'll be yet another catastrophe resulting from our meddling hubris.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

But plants will continue to pollinate, just like before bees ever evolved. If we go injecting ourselves into it, it'll be yet another catastrophe resulting from our meddling hubris.

That's exacly what worries me. Myopia and hubris is a dangerous combination!

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 11:47 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Michet

"Buzz-pollinated flowers wait until a bee comes along and vibrates at just the right frequency, in just the right spot, and bang! Out comes the pollen in a spew. Potatoes, tomatoes, eggplants, and peppers; pumpkins, zucchinis, blueberries and cranberries: these food plants are examples of crops that require buzz pollination."

Wow, that is really interesting! I had no idea! Thank you for the new info.

I was visiting an elderly gent in the Redwoods several years ago- he used to harvest the trees but only in the most responsible way, and he spoke about the trees with love and knowledge. He told me of a phenomenon where the trees could "pop" (his words) to spread their pollen without need of an outside actor.

There is so much to learn about the natural world!

top topics

join