It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tennessee Passes Controversial Law Allowing Drivers to Injure Protesters Without Civil Liability

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Well if you stand in the road you are going to get hit by a car. In Tennessee it is true, and the driver won't be in deep doo doo.

A new law in Tennessee states that while drivers who injure protesters may face criminal charges, the injured protesters cannot sue the drivers in civil court.

We have previously told you about eight states that were proposing similar measures to criminalize different forms of protesting. Minnesota, Indiana, Iowa and North Dakota are considering allowing drivers to run over protesters without any civil liabilities.
wearechange.org...

So if protestors are going to shut down hi-ways they should have their wills in order. And as long as the diver is using "due care" no civil liability. Well it has come to this?

Tennessee has now joined that effort to allow drivers to run over protesters who are blocking the street free from civil liability, as long as the driver exercised “due care.”

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Due care ... what a cop-out.

If you ever hit a pedestrian ... make sure you tell the cop you believe it was "Pedestrian Error."

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Gawd I hope some psycho doesn't take this as encouragement to go out and plow into a crowd of protesters.

+24 more 
posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: ausername

Or some psychos doesn't shut down the hi-way because a constitutionally mandate was fulfilled (election).

It is no joke and people are growing tired of the crap that has been allowed to pass as normal.
edit on 13-2-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

+20 more 
posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: ausername
I believe the whole point of the law is that the protesters shouldn't be in the middle of a road where a driver would plow into them in the first place.

If people decide to go protest on a highway, trying to stop people that are unrelated to their protest then they might get hit by a car. That's personal responsibility. If you put yourself in harms way then you might get harmed.
edit on 13-2-2017 by Noncents because: Grammatical Correction

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

I see the point to some degree. A bunch of protesters high on life or whatever, jump out into the street and get crunched, it shouldnt be liable on the driver who was following the laws of the road.

Now if its malicious, they get arrested...however if malicious I would think civil liability should be allowed.

+6 more 
posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Well if you stand in the road you are going to get hit by a car. In Tennessee it is true, and the driver won't be in deep doo doo.

Only an idiot would stand in the middle of the road and expect not to be hit. Anyone smart enough to understand the danger who stands in the road and impedes traffic deserves what they get.

Don't do stupid stuff and there is no issue.

edit on 2017/2/13 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

link   
When I was a kid a kid, we were told not to play in the road. For some reason, it made sense to us.

At this point with the phones having gps in them, a cluster of signals in a roadway should automatically shut down their phone service from calling anyone but ems and have police sent. I think they should be detained and given a 36 hour hold with a psychiatric evaluation for suicidal behavior. Perhaps when people get a 3 day lock down and a 1000$ bill for treatment, they will learn.
edit on 2132017 by Natas0114 because: (no reason given)

link   
How does one carefully run over someone?

+8 more 
posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thorsen
How does one carefully run over someone?

You slow down giving the person who is illegally standing in the road a chance to move and if they stand there in the road like a dumb ass they will slowly be run over.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Fair enough. That has to be one of the dumbest ways of protesting, I fully support this law.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Natas0114

I think they will learn with a shattered pelvis. It is crap that the "protesters" think they are safe and nothing can happen to them.
Well the laws have changed, be an idiot and you are no longer protected.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 08:22 PM
link   
While I can agree that people should absolutely not be blocking roadways, I also think hitting them, is much much worse.

Personal responsibility be damned, you are still responsible for your actions and reactions. Other people's irresponsibility isn't a free license to throw your own personal responsibility, of you know, not hitting people with your car, out the window.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Thorsen

With most protestors I imagine the car would slow down and make contact with the protestor who is wearing skinny jeans holding a Starbucks and when the sh!t gets real, the protester will wuss out. And get the F off the road.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Natas0114
When I was a kid a kid, we were told not to play in the road. For some reason, it made sense to us.

Bingo.

They also apparently were never taught "Treat others how you want to be treated".

And lately I've been seeing numerous examples of them apparently never being told about The Boy Who Cried Wolf.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: daryllyn

While I feel for the idiots who think they are cute holding up traffic. I will not for one second shed a tear for their broken bones. This is a warning shot to protestors that laws are going to be enforced.

Imagine that we have to have another law to tell Apple device junkies to stay off the road when protesting.

link   
Wow. So instead of simply arresting the protestors for reckless endangerment or something similar, the solution is to run them over? WTF kind of world is this?

It wasn't that long away when people were pretending to be outraged when 77 or so people were run over in a terrorist attack in Berlin. But the thought of someone here running over American protestors is ok w/some of you? If a terrorist claims he/she thought the victims were rowdy protestors, would that suddenly make it ok?

What's the difference between THIS and THIS?

link   
a reply to: daryllyn

Just dont leave out the part where these people are making it a point to restrict the freedom of others (freedom of movement/travel), and they haven't even been letting ambulances off the hook (not even when right up amongst them). An ambulance way in the back has no hope, therefore the cars in front being able to push on and keep the situation from getting too thick to control is the ultimate cause here.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Good, I for one have been an advocate of removing all warning labels on all products for years. If people think it's the world's duty to keep them safe, perhaps breaking their arms and legs is a great way to keep them from harm. You know, for safety.

On a side note, want to start a buisness? We can make helmets with a stick attached, that way when they're in a body cast, they can still use their phones.
The medi-texter head apparatus, now available for 59.95$

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

I can see the logic, but I've seen the videos and when potentially 1000's all get down there in a hard to access spot, armed with fireworks, thus requiring a huge anti riot squad to assemble, in the meantime people in ambulances can DIE.

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join