It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Geraldo Rivera quits Yale over college name change --"political correctness is lame"

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I'm torn.

As much as I like to make trouble, I can't decide whether to protest that Yale change it's name to, "Schooly McSchooly-School" or "Clown Fart Institute For The Damned".

Because anyone can find anything about any name of any building to get upset about.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

And I'm entitled to criticize them for doing so.

Pointing out that somebody is being a snowflake while they accuse others of being snowflakes is not an attempt to stop them from being snowflakes.

Now that your argument has gone in a complete circle can we be done now?

It's your argument. As I said it is infinitely regressive. "It's their right" is a stupid argument for the very reasons you just demonstrated. You refuted yourself.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 10:36 AM
link   
When you succumb to this kind of pressure, it only empowers those pushing for their agenda. I think some changes have legitimacy. But, this, imo, is over the top. At some point, those that live in fear of provoking the out-of-control PC crazies, must say enough is enough. But, most of them are weak and *ussified.

Next thing you know, the crazies are going to want to rename the Jefferson Memorial because Thomas Jefferson owned slaves at one time. Will The People finally say, "stop it!"

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
I'm torn.

As much as I like to make trouble, I can't decide whether to protest that Yale change it's name to, "Schooly McSchooly-School" or "Clown Fart Institute For The Damned".

Because anyone can find anything about any name of any building to get upset about.

It's coercion. Read the list of demands of these pressure groups. Some of them ask for funding. It's extortion.

link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

But this is very similar to the racist slave holding Calhoun?

And what about the world being a better place with out the stain of racism?

It is a private business and they can do whatever they want.

link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Masonry has a racist history. Wouldn't the progressive thing to do be for you to advocate changing the name to something else? Maybe balance your white guilt score sheet by kicking out half the white membership, and beginning a recruiting drive to get those Oppression Olympics stats on a more progressive track?

link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

You know he didn't mean it that way.

This seems pretty cut and dry to me:

originally posted by: chadderson
"They have no right to change the name based on their(THE LEFT's) feelings, just as you are trying to say "its nobody's business what a private organization does".

Can Yale change the name for any reason they want? Yes or no? If 'yes', then explain it to the poster I am quoting.

Yes they can and apparently they have. But if they continue to buckle from the pressure of PC groups, the school will be changing its name to my little pony.

Aren't colleges all liberal indoctrination centers anyways? Wouldn't that mean that caving to the left's desires would be something that would align with their goals?

Probably. The nazis first attracted the students. It definitely helped achieve their goals.

Godwin's law aside, then what's your problem with this? Yale is just appealing to their consumers.

If it is so easy to buckle to pressure groups, they will continue doing so.

How do you know how hard they fought or even how important they considered this issue? Do you have access to their internal memos documenting this decision? What if they determined internally that the name change would be beneficial to their bottom line?

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Oh boy! A big (unsourced) meme that I'm going to immediately ignore because I don't take them seriously
edit on 13-2-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Masonry has a racist history. Wouldn't the progressive thing to do be for you to advocate changing the name to something else? Maybe balance your white guilt score sheet by kicking out half the white membership, and beginning a recruiting drive to get those Oppression Olympics stats on a more progressive track?

We're a private organization and we can tell you to stuff it if we want. You confused with the difference between public and private entities?

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Fair enough. I'm glad we can get all our rights sorted out. I suppose you agree with the critics of the change because it is their right to criticize.

I agree they have every right to say whatever it is they want to say about the issue.

You agree with the name change because you support the right of Yale, but disagree with the criticism because you support the right of criticism. Something is missing here. Why'd you agree to the name change again?
edit on 13-2-2017 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
But this is very similar to the racist slave holding Calhoun?

So? If the Redskins want to keep their name that is their prerogative.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 10:41 AM
link   

It's coercion. Read the list of demands of these pressure groups. Some of them ask for funding. It's extortion.

I bet if you research it deep enough, you will find that some of these groups have non-profit status and receive government grants for their "social justice" programs.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 10:42 AM
link   

You know he didn't mean it that way.

This seems pretty cut and dry to me:

originally posted by: chadderson
"They have no right to change the name based on their(THE LEFT's) feelings, just as you are trying to say "its nobody's business what a private organization does".

Can Yale change the name for any reason they want? Yes or no? If 'yes', then explain it to the poster I am quoting.

Yes they can and apparently they have. But if they continue to buckle from the pressure of PC groups, the school will be changing its name to my little pony.

Aren't colleges all liberal indoctrination centers anyways? Wouldn't that mean that caving to the left's desires would be something that would align with their goals?

Probably. The nazis first attracted the students. It definitely helped achieve their goals.

Godwin's law aside, then what's your problem with this? Yale is just appealing to their consumers.

If it is so easy to buckle to pressure groups, they will continue doing so.

How do you know how hard they fought or even how important they considered this issue? Do you have access to their internal memos documenting this decision? What if they determined internally that the name change would be beneficial to their bottom line?

Because these groups have been doing this same thing for ages.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 10:42 AM
link   

You agree with the name change because you support the right of Yale, but disagree with the criticism because you support the right of criticism. Something is missing here. Why'd you agree to the name change again?

No, I always find people getting wound up about other people's business to be bizarre. Especially when they state that the entity in question has 'no right' to do what they want.

Just because I support your right to do/say something does not mean I have to agree with your sentiments. This is a rather simple paradigm.

edit on 13-2-2017 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
I'm torn.

How dare you use clown and fart in the same sentence you racist!

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 10:45 AM
link   

For ages? That's a nice, vague way of not committing to a response. Yes changing building names is something colleges do from time-to-time. Sometimes there is external pressure to do it. It's really not worth making a big deal out of though. Some rich asshole's name is removed to be replaced by another rich asshole. Whoopty do. If you don't even attend Yale, then I really fail to see what the big deal is. If it TRULY irks you, make sure your kids don't go either.

Though the right leaning members who think this decision is going to damage Yale's prestige are laughable. Yale will continue to be the cream of the crop of universities to send your kids to no matter what their buildings are named.
edit on 13-2-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Maybe for the feeble minded it's regressive to talk about exercising one's rights to do something but in the grown-up world, it's not.

At this point you're complaining about somebody exercising their rights about somebody else exercising their rights about somebody else entirely exercising their rights.

I'm sure you feel you've managed to find some sort of "gotcha!" moment in there, but all you're really doing is complaining about the exercising of rights so I mean...generally those complaining about rights being used are the regressives, not the ones encouraging it.

link   

originally posted by: queenofswords

I bet if you research it deep enough, you will find that some of these groups have non-profit status and receive government grants for their "social justice" programs.

Remember last year when the same thing happened to Princeton's Woodrow Wilson building. Princeton rightfully refused to change the name, but conceded other things to the group:

Although the board of trustees decided not to remove Wilson's name from the institutions, it "called for an expanded and more vigorous commitment to diversity and inclusion at Princeton." That includes introducing a new program aimed to bring more minority students into the university's doctoral programs and diversifying campus art.

Npr

link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

That makes more sense, because just being a former president shouldn`t automatically make you worthy of having a building named after you,or having anything named after you for that matter.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

Name something memorable that Calhoun did off the top of your head without looking it up. How well do you REALLY know this guy?

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join