It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Geraldo Rivera quits Yale over college name change --"political correctness is lame"

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

You know he didn't mean it that way.

This seems pretty cut and dry to me:

originally posted by: chadderson
"They have no right to change the name based on their(THE LEFT's) feelings, just as you are trying to say "its nobody's business what a private organization does".

Can Yale change the name for any reason they want? Yes or no? If 'yes', then explain it to the poster I am quoting.

Yes they can and apparently they have. But if they continue to buckle from the pressure of PC groups, the school will be changing its name to my little pony.

Aren't colleges all liberal indoctrination centers anyways? Wouldn't that mean that caving to the left's desires would be something that would align with their goals?

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Yes they can and apparently they have. But if they continue to buckle from the pressure of PC groups, the school will be changing its name to my little pony.

But here is the thing, LesMis, I don't care if they do that either. That's their issue to deal with.

You seemed to care that it was named Calhoun.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I can think of an awful lot of places and things named after founding fathers whom were slave owners. I suppose we should go around changing names of schools & structures from kindergarten through universities, demolishing monuments, and changing street & highway names?

And many of them were Freemasons. Come to think of it, aren't blacks & women banned from joining typical Masonic lodges? I know it was like that for what hundreds of years? Next maybe they'll censor words like "masonic", "freemason", and so on as oh my, look at this history all those aristocratic masons who owned slaves.

Then with all that out of the way, then they can move on to deeper issues like removing from textbooks the names of founders etc whom owned slaves. Then after that's done maybe they'll go burn & ban fiction novels that utter such names. After they've done that for us, if we're really lucky, maybe Facebook, Twitter, Google will auto-censor names like George Washington.

Now with them out of the way, there's still the issue of it was white people whom owned slaves... and wait a minute, whites came from Europe so next they'd have to scrub the word "Europe" from textbooks... and all these towns and places, se "New York" named after places in Europe, they'll have to rename those... which means the Ministry of Censorship will be in business scrubbing whites and their roots from the annals of American history & western civilization, discourse, and so on for many years to come....

See how censorship works???

link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

No, no, NO... it's about how awesome Geraldo is for standing up for his beliefs. The people/person who stood up er I mean whined to get the name changed have no integrity cuz liberal/left.

link   
I think what really matters is why they named the building after Calhoun in the first place.
did they do it because he was a racist, or did they do it because he was a president?

I think they finally figured out that In either case it doesn`t make you worthy of having a building named after you.

link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

"They have no right to change the name based on their(THE LEFT's) feelings, just as you are trying to say "its nobody's business what a private organization does".

Can Yale change the name for any reason they want? Yes or no? If 'yes', then explain it to the poster I am quoting.

Aren't colleges all liberal indoctrination centers anyways? Wouldn't that mean that caving to the left's desires would be something that would align with their goals?

Probably. The nazis first attracted the students. It definitely helped achieve their goals.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Nope, not really.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
I think what really matters is why they named the building after Calhoun in the first place.
did they do it because he was a racist, or did they do it because he was a president?

I think they finally figured out that In either case it doesn`t make you worthy of having a building named after you.

They did it because he gave them a ton of money to do it. That's how your name ends up on a college building. That is how it has always worked. Haven't you ever attended college?

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Probably. The nazis first attracted the students. It definitely helped achieve their goals.

Godwin's law aside, then what's your problem with this? Yale is just appealing to their consumers.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
I can think of an awful lot of places and things named after founding fathers whom were slave owners. I suppose we should go around changing names of schools & structures from kindergarten through universities, demolishing monuments, and changing street & highway names?

Those are all public property and not the same situation as Yale, which is private. They can do anything they want whenever they want with their property.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Nope, not really.

But you agreed the name should be changed. Why?

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus

Probably because he was Vice President and made a sizeable donation.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Godwin's law aside, then what's your problem with this? Yale is just appealing to their consumers.

If it is so easy to buckle to pressure groups, they will continue doing so.

link   

Because Yale wanted to and I support the rights of the property holder to do what they want with their property, right or wrong.

link   
a reply to: Tardacus

That is not the reason they are taking his name off. The protestors are the reason. The admin at Yale care only about $$$ an getting the F'n "kids" off the lawn.

He was a prominent Democrat, but never president.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Because Yale wanted to and I support the rights of the property holder to do what they want with their property, right or wrong.

Fair enough. I'm glad we can get all our rights sorted out. I suppose you agree with the critics of the change because it is their right to criticize.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

And I'm entitled to criticize them for doing so.

Pointing out that somebody is being a snowflake while they accuse others of being snowflakes is not an attempt to stop them from being snowflakes.

Now that your argument has gone in a complete circle can we be done now?

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Fair enough. I'm glad we can get all our rights sorted out. I suppose you agree with the critics of the change because it is their right to criticize.

I agree they have every right to say whatever it is they want to say about the issue.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Well said and the graphics may even wake up the hardened leftists, and you know who you are.
edit on 13-2-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

You guys all act like it ends there. We're only seeing the beginning of all this. The society shifting into a pro-censorship society is in its infancy. Over a long enough timeline, with this kind of white guilt / white devil thinking, the name "United States of America" (and all those pesky state names), well those were named by white people, so we'll have to rebrand all of that.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join