It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Geraldo Rivera quits Yale over college name change --"political correctness is lame"

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

I don't question their right, I only question their motivation.

Apparently they were cool with the name until protests.

So it isn't altruism on their part or else they would have changed the name a long time ago.

Being encouraged (via protest) to do something does not indicate an independent drive to "do the right thing".

The college had to be forced to make the change. Else they never would have.

So I won't applaud Yale for doing so.

If they'd have done so independently?

Sure. It would have showed integrity on their part.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: chadderson
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Taking the name away IS an attempt to remove this man's legacy and history. While it does not erase it one fell swoop, it is taken away from the public eye. In time, and only in time, is the legacy and history eroded down to nothing.

Changing the name accomplishes nothing more than pandering to a small group of people with hurt feelings. The correct way to approach the issue is to educate those with the hurt feelings and help them understand why his name is on a prestigious building to begin with. They have no right to change the name based on their feelings, just as you are trying to say "its nobody's business what a private organization does".

They have every right to change the name of any building they want to, so long as it belongs to them, at any time, for any reason. Or no reason at all.

And that's what you and others seem to be unable to grasp.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Not even a nibble at the brokeback comment, eh? Disappointing.

I don't applaud Yale at all for the decision.

I'm just not applauding others in this thread or the previous one that are upset about their decision, either.

link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Yale happens to be a business. Businesses tend to stay IN business by listening to the people that give them money (ie the consumers). If there is tons of publicity to Yale to change the building, if they don't they could see applications drop which could hurt their reputation as an Ivy league school.

No one is under any auspices that this is an altruistic decision, but that doesn't mean it isn't the right thing to do. Honoring a monster on a building just for tradition's sake is a stupid argument.

link   

Apparently the poster has a limited grasp on property rights and ownership in regards rights and mores.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 09:05 AM
link   
He quits because college decided to change name ?

Had this been done by a "liberal leftist commie" you guys would be here throwing out cheap memes about SJW's ,snowflakes, butthurt liberals etc..
Disgusting
edit on 13-2-2017 by ErrorErrorError because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 09:06 AM
link   

"What's it my business?"

The issue is being blasted into the public sphere and being debated. My two cents make yours look like a penny.

"just like you have every right to get all snowflakey over it."

We both truly know who the real snowflakes are, and they are getting their way, once again. Stooping to ad hominem does nothing more than prove I am right.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Kali74
Geraldo is a snowflake. Who quits their job over a name change? I guess he can afford to be a crybaby.

That's kinda the ironic part, Geraldo Rivera has a demonstrated track record of being an amoral scumbag.

No kidding! And now, THIS is the battle he chooses to pick! What loser. I suppose he wears Confederate Flag underwear and PJs too!

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 09:08 AM
link   

The argument is not about whos choice it is to change the name or if they have the right to.

The argument is about the lefties crying foul until they get their way, strongarming an institution like Yale into changing the name of a building. Attempting to erode a man's legacy to the point of being removed from history.

edit on 13-2-2017 by chadderson because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 09:08 AM
link   

The issue is being blasted into the public sphere and being debated. My two cents make yours look like a penny.

And how is that relevant to a private business? Why would the even dignify your concern?

We both truly know who the real snowflakes are, and they are getting their way, once again. Stooping to ad hominem does nothing more than prove I am right.

How were you proven right? You do not even understand that private entities do not have to obey your delicate sensibilities.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 09:10 AM
link   

The argument is about the lefties crying foul until they get their way, strongarming an institution like Yale into changing the name of a building. Attempting to erode a legacy to the point of being unknown.

Sorry, not a leftist, I am a Libertarian which is why I have no issue with a private entity doing what they want with their property.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Why are the lefties entitled to complain until its changed but the righties(correcties) are not allowed to complain about Yale caving in to political correctness?

Nor do the private entities have to obey the 'actual' delicate sensibilities of the left.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: ErrorErrorError
He quits because college decided to change name ?

Had this been done by a "liberal leftist commie" you guys would be here throwing out cheap memes about SJW's ,snowflakes, butthurt liberals etc..
Disgusting

Just a typical conservative justice warrior thread.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Why are the lefties entitled to complain until its changed but the righties(correcties) are not allowed to complain about Yale caving in to political correctness?

I frankly do not care about who complains about what.

Nor do the private entities have to obey the 'actual' delicate sensibilities of the left.

A private business should do what it wants. If it causes people anal discomfort that is their problem.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 09:13 AM
link   

You for making a big deal out of a private college's decision to change a building name. A private college that I'm almost positive you don't or haven't attended so it has no effect on you whatsoever.

Also Geraldo. He's being a snowflake too.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I'll be damned if I let some whiney liberal snowflake rename The Adolf Hitler University of the Arts; it's tradition!
edit on 2/13/2017 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Even if he did attend he still has no say. So solly.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Yeah they have the right to change it.

Just as I and the rest of the rational minded have the right to discredit their move and take away from their credentials.

Yale made a mistake. This debate is bringing that to light. Whether or not they had the right to change the name means nothing. They have destroyed their own credibility and I enjoy highlighting it.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Even if he did attend he still has no say. So solly.

Well if he donated TONS of money to the college, I'm sure his say would mean a bit more. But ultimately he has no say even then if the college rejects the money.
edit on 13-2-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Yeah they have the right to change it.

Glad to see you came around to the side of freedom for property owners to manage their holdings as they desire.

Whether or not they had the right to change the name means nothing.

Sure it does. It helps identify the fascists who do not appreciate the property rights we enjoy in the United States.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join