It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Geraldo Rivera quits Yale over college name change --"political correctness is lame"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

I fully agree with standing up against the PC movement, however, this might not be the right battle. After reading about John Calhoun I don't much like the guy or what he stood for either.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I look forward to a world scrubbed of all bad things done by bad people, what a wonderful world. Imagine that. Wonder what they (the rioter or protesters) will want to call Washington DC?

So a racist is a "if a tree falls in a forest does it...." kind of deal?

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Liking history does not make it any less historic.

Edit: I would not have named a college after another racist Democrat, but history is just that.
edit on 13-2-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
I look forward to a world scrubbed of all bad things done by bad people, what a wonderful world. Imagine that. Wonder what they (the rioter or protesters) will want to call Washington DC?

Stop being a hysteric, you just admitted you had no clue who Calhoun was and now you do. What part of his history was scrubbed that you could not learn about him?

So a racist is a "if a tree falls in a forest does it...." kind of deal?

Feel free to define it however you want.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I can't believe you used Geraldo and integrity in the same sentence, do you need a refresher of his integrity?

Or are you just upset at what a private college is doing?

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 08:06 AM
link   

That was not hysterical- hyperbole yes.

This will not be the last time the left dusts off signs and demands justice (change hurtful history). I can't prove this now. But in 5 years I will be able to.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 08:08 AM
link   

This will not be the last time the left dusts off signs and demands justice (change hurtful history). I can't prove this now. But in 5 years I will be able to.

I am far from being a leftist and I agree the name should have been changed.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: cenpuppie

Everyone is capable of making good decisions, my faith in him is very limited.

Being upset about a private college "giving" in to protestors is what this is truly about.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 08:15 AM
link   

I've always wondered how stopping of honoring something equates to removing history. It's not like his name is being scrubbed from the history books or anything. Plus Yale is a private university.

CJW trigger alert!

PS: Lol Geraldo is a tool. He has no integrity. You clearly don't remember him "crawling in and out of the tunnels in Afghanistan" when he was really in the capital.
edit on 13-2-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I don't see what benefits come with changing the name.

Is the building now not racist?

Was the building racist before they changed the name?

How many black people did the building enslave?

It's their building and they are free to do so, but changing the name does not change the past.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Slightly off topic-

Redskins football should we apply what we have just learned?

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

But it is named after a racist--oops a white supremacist from a by gone era when that was the culture the law and the economy.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 08:18 AM
link   

It is a private business and they can do whatever they want.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   

We need buildings and statues and rebel flags to remember the bad guys but let's not have a month in which we teach school children about some pretty cool people and events that are left out of the books and don't have buildings to tell us who they are.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Are you trying to trigger me?

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Like Rosa Parks and MLK? They are in all the history books I was taught from, along with Mal X.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 08:24 AM
link   

a reply to: DBCowboy

But it is named after a racist--oops a white supremacist from a by gone era when that was the culture the law and the economy.

Last time I checked. . . . the only building that ever offended me was the DMV. But even then it was the people inside and not the actual name of the building.

Well, the good news is that the building is no longer racist and will allow people of color to enter now.

So that's a good thing!

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 08:24 AM
link   
The "Legendary" Geraldo Rivera

1. Rivera’s 1986 special broadcast, “The Mystery of Al Capone’s Vaults,” was one of the most hyped TV events in history — and one of the biggest busts. In the two-hour special, Rivera finally opened the famous gangster’s secret vault, but instead of finding Capone’s money or any bodies, it contained only a couple of empty bottles and dirt. The failed stunt became a pop culture landmark, and “Al Capone’s vault” is now synonymous for a heavily hyped event that amounts to absolutely nothing.

2. Rivera was covering the controversial trial of Casey Anthony, a woman suspected of killing her daughter Caylee, when he made headlines of his own in 2011. Referencing a tattoo Anthony got in the weeks after her daughter died that said “bella vita,” Rivera said on Fox, “I think it will end the prosecution case with a bang, so to speak, to show that this was a selfish, narcissistic, self-involved slut.”

3. In 2003, Rivera was traveling with the 101st Airborne Division of the U.S. Army in Iraq as a war correspondent for Fox News and ended up making a huge tactical error — he drew a map in the sand during a live broadcast pinpointing his exact location and revealing the time and details of an upcoming operation. Although it had been originally thought Rivera would be expelled from the country for giving away sensitive, classified information, a deal was ultimately reached allowing him to leave on his own.

4. That wasn’t the first time Rivera caused a commotion on the battlefield — in Afghanistan in 2001, he described on air an incident of friendly fire, claiming he had been on the scene. Rivera said he walked over “what I consider hallowed ground today” and had said the Lord’s Prayer on the land where three Americans soldiers had died the previous day. But the Baltimore Sun later reported that Rivera was actually 300 miles from the site he described. Rivera blamed his mistake on the “fog of war” and said he had confused the event near Kandahar with one where he actually was in Tora Bora — but the Tora Bora incident occurred three days after Rivera’s report.

5. In 2005, Rivera traveled to New Orleans to cover the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. But he made headlines after a New York Times report alleged he had “nudged” an Air Force rescue worker out of the way so he could be filmed helping lift an older woman in a wheelchair to safety — a charge Rivera vigorously denied. The Times did not publish a correction, but later added a note saying, “The Times acknowledges that no nudge was visible on the broadcast.”

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Like Rosa Parks and MLK? They are in all the history books I was taught from, along with Mal X.

I was not taught about Malcolm X in school. He was apparently too controversial, but hearing about MLK and Rosa Parks was a yearly event in February. Though it should go without saying that those three people don't make up the entity of black contributors to America.
edit on 13-2-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

And?

new topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join