It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Geraldo Rivera quits Yale over college name change --"political correctness is lame"

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
After you twisted the other poster's opinion...

Oh, boo-hoo for the other poster. Ask me if I care if he cannot articulate his thoughts well enough that I don't have to give him a metaphorical slapping around for saying dumb things.

...and then after doing so used it as a crutch for moral superiority, I suppose you had it coming.

Oh, you so got me.

Or you cannot read. You clearly avoided the main point, even after it was clarified, so boo hoo to you. Not only that, but you hold standards to some while refusing them for others.

I so got you.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Well, to give credit where due, good for him! I don't agree with a lot of what he says, and have long considered him to take on the "PC" position, but in this case, he did the right thing.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

I would like to think he is seeing what he and his media has done to the willfully ignorant. But I would imagine we may very well hear from him again with a PC story when it suits him.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 06:28 PM
link   
They should go ahead and name a building on campus "Hitler Hall". After all, it's just a name...

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

Or you cannot read.

I read just fine, I am not the guy asking the same questions over and over.

You clearly avoided the main point...

Right.

Not only that, but you hold standards to some while refusing them for others.

I so got you.

Nah, I think the crybabies on both sides are crybabies.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

The things we honor in the present say so much about where we are now, and who we are now

History is important, tradition is important - but not sacred

Online, some students found inspiration in a quotation from Ms. Hopper, who died in 1992. “Humans are allergic to change,” she once said. “They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that.”

Never be afraid to think - never be afraid to change your mind

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

But you agreed the name should be changed. Why?

Why shouldn't it be changed?

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis

But you agreed the name should be changed. Why?

Why shouldn't it be changed?

It sets a dangerous precedent. It teaches students that they can get reward through mob disruption or disobedience if they stomp their feet hard enough. It whitewashes history.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle
You can't sweep everything under the rug to cater to a bunch of twits being zealously oversensitive for the sake of their tiny overrated sensibilities.

But the point I am making is they can, because it is there property.

When people (not you) come in and say that they should not be able to do this because that person disagrees I find it antithetical to the concept of property owners having the right to manage their property as they deem.

Do they receive taxpayer funds in any way, in the form of grants or subsidies? That was a rhetorical question, we all know they do.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 11:20 AM
link   

It teaches students that they can get reward through mob disruption or disobedience if they stomp their feet hard enough.

How is having a strong opinion that doesn't match up with yours disobedience?

Mob disruption? LOL. And - I don't just LOL spontaneously here at ATS

Awww - all the bad little girls and boys don't want to go to school where the buildings still honor our dark past...

Naughty

It whitewashes history.

History has been whitewashed enough - don't you think?

Don't worry Les - we white people will be just as white tomorrow as we are today. With or without our ugly monuments. History being what it is - what better explanation for the name change than the fact that we remember

edit on 2/14/2017 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Do they receive taxpayer funds in any way, in the form of grants or subsidies? That was a rhetorical question, we all know they do.

And? Is the building not theirs?

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

How is having a strong opinion that doesn't match up with yours disobedience?

Mob disruption? LOL. And - I don't just LOL spontaneously here at ATS

How is having a strong opinion the same as disruption and disobedience? It isn't. I would laugh out loud at your misrepresentation but it is far too cringe-worthy.

Awww - all the bad little girls and boys don't want to go to school where the buildings still honor our dark past...

Naughty

Again, it isn't about their wants and desires, but their behavior, which you are attempting to justify with sarcasm. Changing the names of things to satisfy wants and desires may be meaningful to you, and to those who are superstitious of words. Perhaps write a journal or something and alter the language to suit your whims and fancies, but out in the real world it changes very little.

History has been whitewashed enough - don't you think?

Don't worry Les - we white people will be just as white tomorrow as we are today. With or without our ugly monuments. History being what it is - what better explanation for the name change than the fact that we remember

History has been whitewashed enough. All the more reason to oppose more whitewashing.

Wait, is this some sort of identity thing? I suppose at this point you would get withdrawls if you gave up on identity politics for too long. It's not about white people, black people, or any other group you view through your collective lenses. It's about principle.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
All because Calhoun, who was born in 1870, was a slave owner/advocate.

1782. He was also a white supremacist.

And who cares what a private business does?

Geraldo Rivera does.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: chuck258
Geraldo Rivera does.

I stopped giving a crap about him before I ever gave a crap about him.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: chadderson

Oh, pish-shaw.

John Calhoun is a very large figure in his era of history. It is impossible to erase him from history. His tirades on the Senate floor are in the record, all one needs do is look for them. His writings are available in any library, and on-line easily found.

Yale is well within their rights to do this, and this conservative has no issue, not one, with them doing so. Calhoun was dirty. Just reading his stuff makes me need a shower afterwards.

What was it AugustusM called him? A white supremacists white supremacist? Truer words were never spoken.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: chadderson

What mistake?

Seems to me they rectified a long standing mistake by this action. John Calhoun was, and I suppose still is, a reprehensible bigot, who should be slighted at every opportunity, and his legacy ridiculed.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Yale is well within their rights to do this, and this conservative has no issue, not one, with them doing so.

The issue is whether it is the right of a group of students to protest and disrupt the business of Yale until they change the name of their building, not if Yale has the right to change the names of its own buildings.

edit on 14-2-2017 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Let's say it is the year 1800, do you think you would be picketing outside a slave holding plantation?
Or would you choose the child labor?
Or the debt prison?

See the culture changes, I can imagine eating meat derived from an actual animal will be seen as absolutely unbelievable and we will be seen as savages.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 06:40 PM
link   

And? Is the building not theirs?

I honestly don't know. Is Yale a private enterprise, a private/public hybrid or a public enterprise? It seems like their ownership status has some blurred lines.

Regardless, a name change is simply bowing down to revisionists and cry babies, it's like paying terrorists. Do it once and they always come back to the "well" for more.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 06:54 PM
link   

I honestly don't know. Is Yale a private enterprise, a private/public hybrid or a public enterprise? It seems like their ownership status has some blurred lines.

I would wager the property deed has the university's name on it.

Regardless, a name change is simply bowing down to revisionists and cry babies, it's like paying terrorists. Do it once and they always come back to the "well" for more.

Cheers - Dave

Regardless of the rationale for the change it is still their right to do so, just like any other private entity can make decisions they feel are best, so can Yale.

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join