It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Geraldo Rivera quits Yale over college name change --"political correctness is lame"

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
How do you feel when a group of protesters come in demanding they change the name of their property?

We covered this already. People can demand anything they want, if a private business wishes to acquiesce to their demands that is their issue.

But you just said people demanding they don't change the name is antithetical to property rights. But now you're saying people can demand what they want.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords
Is anybody really saying that they don't have a right to change the name?

Yes, reread the thread.

If so, the public has a right to express objections because it is our tax dollars funding part of it.

No one is saying anyone cannot voice their opinion.

link   

But you just said people demanding they don't change the name is antithetical to property rights. But now you're saying people can demand what they want.

I was referring to the in-thread poster who said they had no right to change the name.

link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Farewell. I'll make sure to be there when you use your unsound reasoning to push more nonsense. Until then.

link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

No I am arguing that the First Amendment protects free speech from infringement by the government. In a legal setting that is ALL that matters. Your feelings on or philosophical interpretation of free speech not withstanding. It is you trying to confuse the argument by turning it into a philosophical discussion when it has always been a legal one.

If you want to discuss the philosophy behind free speech we have a forum for that, but in regards to the law and what it protects. What it has ALWAYS protected is the government from encroaching on your free speech. That is where the discussion starts and ends.

So there can be no fall of Western civilization from your liberal bogeymen because our government is only setup to protect free speech in a certain way and THAT way hasn't been under attack by the left. Which is the true crux of the argument that you are so coyly trying to ignore.
edit on 13-2-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   

I was referring to the in-thread poster who said they had no right to change the name.

Does that not also apply to the protesters demanding they change their name?

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I don't really understand how somebody can ask "is anybody really saying they don't have a right to do this" when somebody literally said they don't have the right to do it.

How is that even a thing still?

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Unsound in your opinion.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

That was pure sarcasm of course. I know it is hard to tell nowadays without offering an emoticon or disclaimer.
One could apologize all the way back to Cain and Abel. How that solves anything going forward is beyond me.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 01:11 PM
link   

You keep asking me the same questions which I have answered already.

They can demand anything they want, the private entity has the right to agree with them or not. People saying (in thread) that Yale 'has no right' to change the name are wrong.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
I don't really understand how somebody can ask "is anybody really saying they don't have a right to do this" when somebody literally said they don't have the right to do it.

How is that even a thing still?

No idea. I seem to be repeating the same answers that I have said many times already. He said it, not me.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Oh, I'm not the only one that noticed that?

Glad you're illogical too, Augie.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   

I'm a retard.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   

I believe it's ruhtard

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

Agreed

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I figured somebody would get it

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   

You keep asking me the same questions which I have answered already.

They can demand anything they want, the private entity has the right to agree with them or not. People saying (in thread) that Yale 'has no right' to change the name are wrong.

No you have sufficiently proven that part, rightfully proving they were getting "snowflakes", but refuse to say the same of the people protesting they change the name.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   

That is one of my favorite scenes in the movie.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   

No you have sufficiently proven that part, rightfully proving they were getting "snowflakes", but refuse to say the same of the people protesting they change the name.

My opinion is anyone getting twisted about this is a goddamn snowflake. Mind your own business, when you own Yale, call me.

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join