It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Geraldo Rivera quits Yale over college name change --"political correctness is lame"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Integrity move on Geraldo's part, hat's off. Yale in it's ultimate wisdom has decided to change the name of Calhoun College to computer scientist Grace Murray Hopper. The name change was prompted becasue Calhoun, who was born in the 1780's, was a slave owner/advocate.

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) – Fox News personality Geraldo Rivera says he resigned from a voluntary position at Yale University after the school decided to change the name of a residential college that honors a slavery supporter.
www.winknews.com...

I've always liked Geraldo's confidence, even when I did not agree with his opinion. He said he was honored to have been with Yale, intolerant insistence on political correctness is lame. The crowd goes wild!!!

Rivera said Sunday on Twitter that he resigned as an associate fellow of Calhoun College. He said the position was an honor “but intolerant insistence on political correctness is lame.”

edit on 13-2-2017 by seasonal because: date

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 06:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
All because Calhoun, who was born in 1870, was a slave owner/advocate.

1782. He was also a white supremacist.

And who cares what a private business does?

edit on 13-2-2017 by AugustusMasonicus because: Zazz 2020!

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Thanks for the correction, man it's early...

+6 more 
posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 07:12 AM
link   

I know that the emotional side wants to forget about the fact that slavery was legal.

To own slaves automatically makes the owner a white supremacist.

Laws and the whole culture was waaaayyyyy different.

If you were to say that Calhoun was a good guy (on this issue) I would be surprised, he was certainly wrong about any race being superior, but so was the whole country, heck most of the world, again we are talking about the1780-1820's.

Removing all history will NOT make bad things go away, we are adults. Let's deal with this like we are.

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 07:14 AM
link   

To own slaves automatically makes the owner a white supremacist.

This guy was the white supremacist's white supremacist.

Removing all history will NOT make bad things go away, we are adults. Let's deal with this like we are.

How will changing the name of the college remove history? Are you now unable to read about him?

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Either you are a white sup or you are not. Let's not get into a he is a super duper, duper white sup....

Yale wants to erase history, from the horses mouth- US history clashes with Yales values, By God I hope it does. These guys are clowns who bowed down to protesters.

In spite of campus-wide protests over the Calhoun name, Mr. Salovey then said he did not want to erase history, but confront it and learn from it. But a committee subsequently formed to study the debate found otherwise, saying Calhoun College presents “an exceptionally strong case” because its namesake clashes with university values.
www.csmonitor.com...

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

You did not answer either of my questions that I asked you directly.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Humans are visual creatures. Hence the huge steeples on old churches (keeps God on your mind). If we remove things from public view it is in deed removing history. Not all history is lemon drops and puppy sunshine.

Of course you can read about him, so what.
Oh, you can get a book and get the same info---so again why scrub this from public view?
I can tell you, because there were protests and the staff/admin did the easy thing- this is the same way we have 20,000,000,000,000 in debt, because it is easy.
It would be harder to EDUCATE people about history and how it sucked to be anything but white, even then it still 1/2 sucked.
Sorry I rambled.

How will changing the name of the college remove history? Are you now unable to read about him?

edit on 13-2-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Geraldo is a snowflake. Who quits their job over a name change? I guess he can afford to be a crybaby.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 07:36 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 07:38 AM
link   

If we remove things from public view it is in deed removing history.

So if the private college changes the name somehow John Calhoun is removed from history? Wouldn't they need to actually do slightly more than that to remove him from history? Like, say, eradicate any reference to him anywhere?

Not all history is lemon drops and puppy sunshine.

Nor are all historical figures worthy of recognition.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
Geraldo is a snowflake. Who quits their job over a name change? I guess he can afford to be a crybaby.

That's kinda the ironic part, Geraldo Rivera has a demonstrated track record of being an amoral scumbag.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

You are right, he can afford to quit. He also made a statement that I agree with, this accomplishes nothing.

If it does accomplish something I would like to know what?

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 07:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

I'll admit I know nothing of either names and I'm quite ignorant to Yales history, but how does standing up for what you believe in make you a snowflake crybaby?

There's plenty of real examples of snowflake everywhere you look, and although I'm not even a fan of Geraldo at all, this doesn't make him a cry baby..

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Sure it does. His ego is as large as the King OompaLoompa himself. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

]edit on Mon February 13th, 2017 by damwel because: (no reason given)

edit on Mon February 13th, 2017 by damwel because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 07:44 AM
link   

He must have done something right, he was a very well respected Democrat.

I don't see the point of removing his name, why? What does it accomplish? Does it ease peoples sensibilities?

Or, and this is the most logical, is it the easiest thing to make the protesters go away and burn the whole frickin thing down?

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

I'll admit I know nothing of either names and I'm quite ignorant to Yales history, but how does standing up for what you believe in make you a snowflake crybaby?

I don't know, ask the people that stood up for the name change.
edit on 2/13/2017 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 07:47 AM
link   

He must have done something right, he was a very well respected Democrat.

Yeah, he made his constituents happy.

I don't see the point of removing his name, why? What does it accomplish? Does it ease peoples sensibilities?

It removes a white supremacists name from a building.

Or, and this is the most logical, is it the easiest thing to make the protesters go away and burn the whole frickin thing down?

Why? The building is not the issue, just its name.

Still not seeing why it is any of anyone's business what a private organization does. They own it, they can name it the Rowdy Roddy Piper building if they want.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 07:53 AM
link   

I think it did the opposite, I didn't know Calhoun from Adam last week, so now the idiots protesting and the idiot admin gave the "white supremacist" a brand new venue.

By the way is a white supremacist worse than a racist?

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 07:55 AM
link   

I think it did the opposite, I didn't know Calhoun from Adam last week, so now the idiots protesting and the idiot admin gave the "white supremacist" a brand new venue.

So then what's the problem? You just stated he was removed from history, yet here you are, talking about the guy.

By the way is a white supremacist worse than a racist?

A racist may keep their opinions to themselves but a supremacist will advocate on those positions.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join