It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump advisers' space plan: To moon, Mars and beyond

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+17 more 
posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 09:12 PM
link   
To the moon by 2020? Wow now that is a ambitious move.

The Trump administration is considering a bold and controversial vision for the U.S. space program that calls for a "rapid and affordable" return to the moon by 2020, the construction of privately operated space stations and the redirection of NASA's mission to "the large-scale economic development of space," according to internal documents obtained by POLITICO.
www.politico.com...

Looks like Trump may use competition between tech billionaires and traditional aerospace contractors to light some fires under peoples rear ends.

The proposed strategy, whose potential for igniting a new industry appeals to Trump’s business background and job-creation pledges, is influencing the White House’s search for leaders to run the space agency. And it is setting off a struggle for supremacy between traditional aerospace contractors and the tech billionaires who have put big money into private space ventures.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Good luck without Science...

+5 more 
posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

Science is overrated. Like mathematics and literature.

It would be nice however to get a serious space program rolling again.

edit on 12-2-2017 by AugustusMasonicus because: I love cheese pizza

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 09:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

And education.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I hope those rocket ships can use BS for fuel.
edit on 12-2-2017 by olaru12 because: Brenda....!!!

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Remind me again why we need to go back to the moon? Something we miss? I'd prefer resources be allocated to a more productive endeavor.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

It would be nice however to get a serious space program rolling again.

I agree with this. It's very important we reach for the stars stronger than ever before. Where's the sense of urgency?

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ExNihiloRed

I would imagine to set up a jump off point to Mars.

My conspiratorial side says so mega corps can mine helium 3. And let the tax payers pay for the ride.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I feel like this is at least partly due to Musk attending his meeting.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Fungo

I would think this is very doable.

With the tech that was used in the mid 60's to early 70's, that seems like it would make it so much easier.???

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: swedy13

Musk gets lota-0-tax subsidies. So he has a big time vested interest to keep the corp welfare going.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Awesome. I say bring on the space exploration. I don't like that the money to pay for it all is being taken away from environmental studies, but it had to come from somewhere. And lets be honest. The future of the human race is in colonization of other worlds. I'm not saying we should not study Earth 's environment and our effects on it. We would be fools not to. But no mater how clean we keep this planet we will overpopulate it. Eventually.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: ExNihiloRed

I was thinking the same thing. It's wishful thinking and a good start but the moon again? Seriously?

I'm no expert but would like to see a different approach and goal in mind.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 09:41 PM
link   
One is we can mine the moon for H3. It will be used with the new fusion reactors to power the future.

I would imagine this is also because China is going to the moon in 2018. Can't let them get claims without being there to claim our own. Of course if they want to carry on with wars there, better for humanity to keep it off the earth.

I think I read somewhere corporations are working to capture a meteor and mine it. Maybe there can be an intermediate processing facility on the moon for that.

Regardless, it is about time to spread to space for rare metals and a new economic boom. We have to pay that $20 trillion off somehow!

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 09:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: ExNihiloRed

Remind me again why we need to go back to the moon? Something we miss? I'd prefer resources be allocated to a more productive endeavor.

The need to go back to the moon is because there is a new space race with the Chinese. A base on the moon with military intent puts a new slant on things eh?

Pity NASA is a shell of it's former self and totally unprepared. They wasted all their resources on a stupid shuttle instead of a moon base.

Now the Chinese are a real threat.

edit on 12-2-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: Fungo

I would think this is very doable.

With the tech that was used in the mid 60's to early 70's, that seems like it would make it so much easier.???

Oh I agree with you that it can be easily accomplished but for what purpose with an already recycled goal FROM the 60's and 70's?

Just seems were taking steps backwards not forwards, but I've been wrong before.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 09:45 PM
link   

This makes me very happy.

The space program needs more attention.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Agree, the moon makes sense. It is "close" and makes for an excellent military/jump off to bigger and better things.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I see what you're saying and that could be a huge advantage but we don't have exclusive rights to the moon.

What would prevent China or Russia from doing the same??

We need something new and innovative that takes us over the top and at an even bigger advantage.

Now a space station established on Uranus? Thats innovation!

edit on 12-2-2017 by Fungo because: Can't spell

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join