It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump’s supporters believe a false narrative of white victimhood

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I've seen a lot of projection from Trump people on the defensive. This article takes a hard (and revealing) look at what's going on:

To paraphrase a popular idiom, when you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like discrimination. These data suggest that this feeling of loss and victimization, and the need for racial solidarity to protect what remains, is core to understanding Trump’s appeal.

An interesting take on Trump's red-hat slogan:

As John Paul Brammer notes, Trump’s slogan, “‘Make America Great Again,’ speaks to that victimhood. We were great once. We aren’t anymore, because of those people.”

And what exactly are "those people" doing? What's the problem?

Trump supporters believe that whites and Christians face discrimination while people of color reap the benefits of government largess. Far from being concerned about “facts, not feelings,” Trump supporters and the conservative movement have created a false narrative of victimhood that motivates their supporters.

But there's more to this than just an impending sense that one's skin color won't dominate private business and government. The cognitive dissonance and lies they're willing to accept is quite unprecedented:

Conservatives must create an ideological bubble in which crime is out of control (instead of hovering near historic lows), the rate of abortion is rising (instead of falling), refugees are committing terrorist attacks en masse (they aren’t at all) and immigrants are taking jobs (it’s the capitalists), all while the government is funneling money to undeserving black people (black people receive government support in accordance with their share of the population, despite making up a disproportionately large share of the poor). Conservatives, and many in the general public, believe that Muslims and immigrants (both legal and unauthorized) make up a dramatically larger share of the population than they actually do.

They literally create a scary word (or tell themselves its scary) in order to feel better about electing an authoritarian. Historically when the population is scared, they seek to submit to a strong leader -- and the conservatives in the United States have foolishly duped themselves thinking Trump is this leader.

And to reinforce this delusional narrative that has no basis in reality, they demonize anyone who dares challenge it:

At the same time, the right has created a caricature of their opponents on the left. In this imagined caricature, the left is sensitive to being “triggered” at every corner, but also capable of unspeakable political violence. The activist left are “snowflakes” on one hand, and brutal killers on the other. In reality, political violence has long been a tactic of the right, from the labor violence that left thousands of workers dead to lynchings to brutality against peaceful protesters inflicted by corporate security and police to the harassment of women seeking abortion, the destruction of abortion clinics and the assassination of doctors who provide abortions. The rhetoric of victimization has costs — white supremacists are committing unspeakable violence to combat the perceived threat of immigrants, Muslims and people of color. For the next four years, we are likely to have a government driven by perceptions of white Christian victimhood.

Special snowflakes and victims indeed. It seems imperative that this victim hood be maintained. Social Security, VA benefits, Medicare -- all of that is FINE if they're using it, but not OK if a minority or one of Reagan's "welfare queens" is.

The article goes into a intricate detail, breaking down exactly how Republicans and Democrats differ on 'white discrimination' in America:

Among Republicans, but particularly among Trump supporters, feelings of white discrimination and loss were profound. Among white Democrats, 74 percent said whites face “little or no” discrimination, compared to 51 percent of white Republicans. While 75 percent of white Democrats said Christians face “little or no” discrimination, only 30 percent of white Republicans did.

Link

And this fits. Listen to AM talk radio. Watch Fox & Friends. The narrative is that white Christians are persecuted and the world is out to destroy them.

Saying "happy holidays" isn't an act of war on your religion. Come on. To me, that right there is evidence of the special snowflake victim hood syndrome that Trump has now fully taken advantage of.

They continue to claim they're victims, and yet at the same time attack any minority group that tries to speak out against being marginalized and victimized because of their ethnicity or minority status.

It seems President LBJ's prophetic quote is more relevant than ever in today's hostile political climate, and Trump has seized upon it:

"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you." - LBJ

Right now in America ... a vocal minority of Trump supporters who believed they were in 1st place feel threatened that the person in 3rd place made it to 2nd place.
edit on 12-2-2017 by Kettu because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 06:35 PM
link   
But but but, he said he would drain the swamp! and the first thing he does is to call all his swamp big ol'corps friends into government!!

To drain the swamp or to keep digging in the swamp, that is the question.

+13 more 
posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 06:39 PM
link   
This is a mistaken view of the right. The right (some) believes we are victims of big government and their cronyism (which is true), not the victim of minorities. "Anger" at minorities comes from the fact they support big government, and therefore corruption (you can't have big government without big corruption).
edit on 12-2-2017 by TruMcCarthy because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
link   

originally posted by: Substracto
But but but, he said he would drain the swamp! and the first thing he does is to call all his swamp big ol'corps friends into government!!

Exactly. A lot of the people suffering who voted for Trump lost their homes/jobs due to the sub prime mortgage bubble/housing crisis.

Goldman Sachs has a lot of blood on their hands for that.

And who does Trump invite inside the White House? The same people that caused a massive, world-wide economic crisis and poverty/job loss for the very people that voted for Trump.

The irony. It's as if they want to be perpetual victims and go again for round number two or something.

+54 more 
link   
a reply to: Kettu

Salon.COM? roflmao

Why should a white person feel guilty about being born white any more than a person of any other color of skin?

Freakin unbelievable! But keep on race baiting!

I was saving this for someone else, but what the hell! Let your white privilege flow!

BTW????? Ask NETFLIX how Race Baiting is working out for them and their stock holders! roflmao idiots!

edit on 12-2-2017 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-2-2017 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: TruMcCarthy

I'm glad you see it that way, but unfortunately it's a quite prevalent and widely spread belief among "conservatives".

Just about everyone has a self-described conservative uncle/family member who blames an ethnic, religious, or some other group of people for their own personal misfortunes.

And I'd believe that there's a faction inside the conservative camp pushing this agenda, just as the SJW types try to infect the Democrat/progressives.

+19 more 
posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 06:42 PM
link   
So liberals want all republicans cuckhold or placed in the category of racist? It's not that black and white and it's not a racist issue. AND I'm not a republican. I'm simply unbrainwashed by either party of foolish oped spewing one line talking points.
edit on 12-2-2017 by libertytoall because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-2-2017 by libertytoall because: (no reason given)

+45 more 
posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Fake news from a leftist rag continuing down the FAILED "identity politics" path I see.

Give it up. You lost. Find something else. People don't want to be divided on race or other nonsense anymore. This is all you have? Sad.

Maybe do something the majority of people agree with, Like President Trump

+42 more 
posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   

And Obama / Hillary supporters believe a false narrative of black victimhood.

+39 more 
posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I guess we know why the liberals are so 'triggered'. They actually believe this crap. Sigh

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

Salon.COM? roflmao

Why should a white person feel guilty about being born white any more than a person of any other color of skin?

Freakin unbelievable! But keep on race baiting!

I was saving this for someone else, but what the hell! Let your white privilege flow!

No one asked you to feel guilty.

No one makes you feel anything.

What ever it is you feel, you choose to feel that way.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: onthedownlow
I guess we know why the liberals are so 'triggered'. They actually believe this crap. Sigh

I dunno, from the fevered responses I'm getting so far, I'd say quite a few people here are triggered...

+20 more 
posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   
This thread reminds me of a child kicking and screaming on the ground, throwing a tantrum.

No look at your clothes, your runny nose, and dirty face.

+37 more 
posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Uh. . . just curious, but what about the Trump supporters that aren't white?

+32 more 
link   

Wrong.

Only one person was triggered enough to make this racist thread.
edit on 12-2-2017 by DrStevenBrule because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: Substracto

Why wouldn't you fight swamp monsters with swamp monsters? That is the question..

+23 more 
link   

Keep on baiting away and creating the division ZEEEEEE! It's your story tell it how you want too! We will just sit back and continue laughing and making fun of you!

+34 more 
posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Give up the act. As if everyone doesn't know this has been the game:

I suggest you cut the crap, and start critiquing the extremists on your side for playing these Critical Race Theory games of deliberate systematic anti-white bigot mongering agenda crap.

This insane hyper-bigoted logic has mass murders, riots, abductions, torture, etc happening at a steady constant pace for how long now? And this all started when? OH, after black president, womens & gays & minorities & trans all had equal rights, better career availability outlooks, and even greater anti-discrimination protections than straight cis white males. You guys got everything you wanted, and then declared open war on everybody that doesn't think like you.

Keep doubling and tripling and quadrupling down on this BS, and the best case scenario your new Identity Politick liberal maniacism crushes the Democrat party into pariah obscurity for many elections to come... and if in response to that you keep on with your tribalist civil war agenda you're guaranteed to eventually see a true truly oppressive mass white supremacist movement. This is human nature stuff: when a tribe out in the open declares war on another and continuously offends and assaults and murders them eventually the other tribe will merge as one and crush their opponent. And dont even dare act like white's as a mass group have had some agenda to abuse and oppress and destablize every one else in our society. That's the MYTH.
edit on 12-2-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: libertytoall
So liberals want all republicans cuckhold or placed in the category of racist? It's not that black and white and it's not a racist issue. AND I'm not a republican. I'm simply unbrainwashed by either party of foolish oped spewing one line talking points.

I'm sorry that you feel this is somehow implying it's a "racist issue". It's not.

These people don't hate minorities in the same way a KKK member or something does, instead -- they fear becoming a minority themselves. It's not so much about hating minorities, but fear of becoming a minority themselves.

I'm disappointed that the people here can't see what the real issue is -- it's about the perceived loss of power.

+14 more 
posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 06:49 PM
link   

So salon has it all figured out huh? Just a bunch of over privileged white people angry at those minorities. This is the biggest load of crap I've ever read. Or maybe it's not because you guys have been saying the same crap forever.

Articles like this are precisely why the Democrats have lost so much power all over the country.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join