It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands of dead bees wash up on Florida beach

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I hate to see these stories.
You'd think that at some point those people spraying poison would hear the message and heed the warning.
But no!!!

A bee expert told NBC affiliate, WBBH-TV, that it is incredibly unusual to have bees washing up on the beach. He offered two possible reasons for the strange occurrence: 1) that the bees could have been affected by the nearby spraying of chemical pesticides, or 2) that an overhead swarm simply became exhausted and flew into the water.

Though the latter explanation is certainly possible, the former is far more likely, since the death of these bees is by no means an isolated occurrence, and the blame can be laid squarely at the door of chemical pesticides.

www.naturalnews.com...

This is how the spray kills the bees:

Neonics attack the central nervous systems of insects, including bees, by binding to their enzyme nicotinic acetylcholine receptors. This excites their nerves, eventually paralyzing and killing them.

The article includes a vid on how to entice bees to your yard, and what you can do to encourage bees to visit your garden.
We should all do our part.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

I am going with pesticides, particularly the ridiculous Zika mitigation altitude spraying, which is absurd considering their habitat keeps them close to the ground and INDOORS!

We will never learn, either that, or we just dont want to...

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 06:09 PM
link   
No, no, you have it wrong. The bees are dying because they are no longer willing to work for the queen. They woke up.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Bees on a beach?? It's been a long time since I've been to a beach, but I don't remember seeing many bees in areas where there's no flowers...
🙁

I'm lucky too live next door to a rural honey production place, we have lots of good fuzzy bees around.
Shallow dishes of water with marbles in them are good for thirsty bees.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Me & Pop (91-yrs young!) have been working to attract and sustain the bee population on our property every since the die-offs started being reported. It's very easy to make a big difference in your immediate area.

Thanks DToM...think Bees y'all!

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Bees are the canary in the coal mine. And I believe its about to get worse.

Take the issue of the rusty patched bumble bee, whose population has shrunk 87 percent since the mid-90s. On Jan. 11, the Obama administration declared it would be added to the endangered species list. Last Thursday — a day before those protections were set to take effect — the Trump administration said it would postpone the listing until at least March 21.

Ryan Yates, director of congressional relations for the American Farm Bureau, said the group is “pleased that the administration is taking a second look.” If the bee is declared endangered, he said, farmers in parts of Wisconsin, Illinois and Minnesota would be subject to severe penalties for killing or harming the insects through “normal farming operations” such as plowing and pesticide use. As an alternative, Yates said, the Farm Bureau is open to discussing a strategy for voluntary conservation.

But voluntary plans are inadequate, said Rebecca Riley, a senior attorney with the Natural Resources Defense Council. Riley said the group is weighing whether to challenge the delay, which was issued without the normal 30-day period for public comment.

www.washingtonpost.com... 82_story.html?utm_term=.171211f15eee
So voluntary conservation by people spraying the pesticides will be the future. What could go wrong.
edit on 12-2-2017 by underwerks because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I have a large hive in a hollow portion of my fence. I've lived in my house for 30 years and the bees have been there most of the time. Occaciobally they will leave for a year or two, but always come back. The previous owner said they have been there a long time, probably since the mid to late sixties. Or before...... there was a large ranch here in the 20s to 50s......

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 07:13 PM
link   
You'd be surprised what flowers along beaches. There are wild flowers in the dunes that most people overlook because they are small, but they are there nonetheless. Next time you go, look in the dunes and where the vegetation meets the sand.

Coastal flowering plants

We keep bees. Recently there was an issue in our town - the mosquitoes were terrible and the town council decided to spray overhead via plane instead of using the spray trucks. The Zika virus was first and foremost on their minds. They didn't warn any of the bee keepers. They killed millions of bees. Ours made it - we live on the outskirts of town and they didn't spray this far.

Anyway, if you're interested:

Washington Post

Dorchester County Apologizes

Charles ton City Paper

I don't want anyone to get Zika, but we need our crops pollinated. We humans are in a pickle.

edit on 2/12/2017 by Lolliek because: Tried to fix something - didn't work

edit on 2/12/2017 by Lolliek because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I read a great article recently about mechanical bees that can pollinate as well or better than real bees. I never thought of Skynet as a bunch of bees, but that would be an exciting movie.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I don't like hearing that the bees are dying, given their role in pollination of important foods.

My wife started collecting dead bees last year, that we find in the house. lol. Don't ask, I have no idea why.
Repressed entomologist, maybe.

This is this years harvest.

regular honey bees

then there is this guy I accidently caught in the window trying to let him out. Huge.

I don't see many of them.

The farmers around here use a chemical spray that kills plants they don't want.
The stuff absolutely trashes them almost immediately, I don't like that either.
It can't be good for the insects.

Sorry about the pics. don't know how to correct the orientation.
edit on 2 12 2017 by burgerbuddy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Imma go on a limb here and say they couldn't swim

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: The GUT

Hey, you're welcome.

I changed over my flower garden completely.
It's not so big, but it used to have high-maintenance roses.

The roses are no mostly gone....and those that are left do not get sprayed anymore...they are on their own.
I replaced the roses with coneflowers, coreopsis, sedum, and a few other things bees like.
Now thinking about adding something to attract hummingbirds as well.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 12:18 AM
link   
a reply to: ExNihiloRed

I think robo bees are a bad idea, it would just allow people to use whatever nasty pestercides they wanted

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 02:23 AM
link   
It may have been a swarm that was blown out to sea, which has been discounted by the article, but is actually more plausible. Pesticides - while a real problem - would not make the bees fly en masse out to sea, as they would die in situ or back at the hive.

I think the website is pushing a point about pesticides by making act of nature fit the facts, which is shoddy reporting.

BTW I am a bee-keeper.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 07:10 AM
link   
we've been doing our best to keep our backyard bee friendly. It's very wooded and when I was a kid, it was like THE spot to be if you were a bee
I remember playing with them and trapping them, watching them, and then setting them free.

Haven't seen even ONE in years. Could be I just don't go outside enough anymore but it's really sad, bees used to be EVERYWHERE in the summer...

-Alee

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 07:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: ExNihiloRed
I read a great article recently about mechanical bees that can pollinate as well or better than real bees. I never thought of Skynet as a bunch of bees, but that would be an exciting movie.

There was an episode of Black Mirror that featured mechanical bee drones. Someone hacked one of them and was using it to kill people.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Junkheap

originally posted by: ExNihiloRed

There was an episode of Black Mirror that featured mechanical bee drones. Someone hacked one of them and was using it to kill people.

The Arrow had a gal who controlled mechanical bees and killed a lot of people.

She was defeated with a virus in her bees.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Wow - that's terrible.

Our bee population is in peril - when will people wake up?

I bet this impacts the citrus industry in FL. Hopefully so, as it will cause people to finally wake up and DO something.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 09:55 AM
link   

This massacre is turning into Normandy beach. Sad to see the death's of nature's friend when the farming community is more concerned about mega production vs organic production.

Ban pesticides altogether.

edit on 13-2-2017 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Bees,birds falling from the sky,834,000,000 dead trees in Colorado or 1 in 7 your nation is dying

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join