It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Discover White Dwarf Star with the Building Blocks for Life

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

Agree 100%, this is all just conjecture based on what I've learned over the years as being true, but what we know now, vs 15 years from now could be everything.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

For example, we can say that they will go to war against us because humans by nature are violent and history proves it.

I've always looked at that as a exclusively human issue. For example, would an intelligent species other than us, bother to open the doors of communication at this time, because of how aggressive and violent we are in general?

I would think no, if they were peaceful. If they weren't peaceful then I don't think it matters as the whole point for them would be conquest and we probably would not stand a chance anyway.

The Scientologists also believe something of that nature as you mentioned with Islam, with Xenu having blown us out of volcanoes or something from Mars, to earth lol

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Any sulfur signatures in the reading?

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978
I think you need to be some kind of special person if you believe there isn't life in our own Galaxy, let alone the billions of galaxies in the universe.

Whether any organism has managed to perfect space travel and have decided to explore the universe is another question.

We are learning more and more about the vast amount of nothingness we are travelling around, yet we will never fully understand all of its secrets.

Is it just me or do you feel NASA could thoroughly navigate the closer candidate settings in our galaxy for signs of life with proof, but choose not too. Perhaps they choose not to for several reasons we the general public may never know or understand.

...Or its Fear of the unknown?

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: ExNihiloRed
The building blocks for life "as we know it," correct? I am also fascinated how narrow-minded some extremely intelligent scientists can be. We are always looking for what makes life "as we know it." What about life as we do not know it? Isn't there a strong possibility that elsewhere in the universe there will be some form of being that exist based on completely different "building blocks." Don't we even have some creatures on this planet that baffle out understanding of "life" (sulfur breathing organisms, for example)?

Why does all "life" in the universe need water to survive?

Are we just looking for a replacement planet? Are we just looking for more humans?

One of my favorite things to think about is how it is technically possible that there is another planet out there with dinosaurs on it (or some variation). We are never out there looking for dinosaurs, and that disappoints me!

I think they look for life as we know it, because, how in the hell would we recognize life as we don't know it?!? Nevermind search for it...

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Very interesting points of view, and I am glad you shared them. I find all of this fascinating. I would note that the length of time humanity has existed is infinitesimal. We are already exploring space at an astounding distance (although not by way of man-made craft). There is, in my view, a very strong probability that another intelligent species has already existed and become extinct or currently exists (at our development level or above or below). I think this is purely based on the comparative numbers and scale.

Now those other entities could be anywhere in the known or unknown universe. What we see from earth is light and we analyze it. We have no idea what is out there to the extent, among other things, (i) the light source is too weak to ever reach us in a measurable amount, (ii) the light source is for some reason permanently blocked from our view, or (iii) the light source is new and at such a distance that we it will not reach us in our life time. We are working with a very unreliable narrator when viewing the universe from Earth.

Some of what we see, in fact, is no longer even where we see it or still in existence based on the sheer amount of time it takes light to reach our planet from various parts of the universe. Radio waves move even slower. We could get a signal from another life form a millennium after we are all dead or the people who sent it are dead. Time is our biggest barrier to exploring and understanding the universe. I have to be honest, I do not buy the estimates on the age of the universe, but I know people way smarter than me have calculated it, so I guess it is only fair to give them the benefit of the doubt.

My point is that when it comes to the universe, we don't know anything outside of our solar system (and we barely know anything about that). It is all theory based on mathematical equations, interpretation, and educated conjecture.

I have to believe that a variety of different life of varying degrees of intelligence must exist -- based solely on scale. In my mind, it would be harder to believe that we are the only life forms or the only intelligent life forms. Nothing is provable or testable in this regard, in my view. We don't even know if there is life out there that doesn't abide by the same laws of physics that we do. Even if you are religious, you have to ask yourselves, if we are the only life, what is the point of everything else?

That transitions me into your comments with respect to why the universe is set up. I have no idea. It is mind boggling to think about it (considering space is really nothing but a backdrop). Where did it all start? How? Why? I have to believe life (whether ours or others) has some purpose in the universe and there is more than just pretty things out there to look at and one freak accident on a little planet we call Earth. But to be honest, I just don't know.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: superman2012

Great points. We observe and report. We are not even looking for life per se, but whether planets are located near a star similar to the sun with traits similar to Earth. We have found a ton of them. You're right, I don't know how to go about looking for other life. If we find it, it is likely because we are found or we stumble on it by accident. Your point is noted, though, that due to the limited time we have and the limited capabilities, it may be better to stick with what we know, for now.

edit on 12-2-2017 by ExNihiloRed because: typo

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 04:11 AM
link   
I thought that amino acid chains & proteins were the precursors of lifeforms

the vast molecular clouds are the most noteworthy spots where these ingredients of life exist... and sprectral analysis has revealed this for decades now, perhaps back in the 1970s was that discovery made...

I used to read the library copy of Scientific American when I could back then before the internet evolved

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 06:18 AM
link   
I might stand corrected.... I did a personal follow up on molecular chains in space clouds...

it seems that 'Sugars' is the key... see the linked paper

www.nrao.edu...
"Cold Sugar in Space Provides Clue to the Molecular Origin of Life"

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 06:29 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

There's no way anyone took Zuckerman seriously. He says that the evidence he presents is a sign that these conditions are common? If I find one onion in a cabbage patch, I don't say, "There are obviously lots of onions".

As well, every bit of what they say is pure conjecture. Just because someone decides to come up with their own fiction about why they discern certain elements in a star, it doesn't make it true.

Why does science now reward science fiction writers as if they're scientists?

We go from 4 elements which are facts to "Aliens!" and "Kuiper belts!" in moments. Then we applaud.

I'm gonna go brush up on my Klingon.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 03:02 AM
link   
I hope this leads to a broadening of our search criteria. When we search for what could support our form of life we could be over looking some other type of life.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join