It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How'd I Get Here?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I'm slowly but surely learning how to use this forum. Let me know if this should be recategorized.

Some quick context. I've never voted (other than local) because I didn't really see the point. I felt like my voice didn't matter and that both parties failed to represent my views, so why bother.

I also used to be fairly liberal (in retrospect). I felt like I could understand the animosity felt by someone like Saddam Hussein and that he was justified in part by fighting the oppression of US atrocity.

Fast forward a few years, Trump wins. I hadn't really been paying attention as I thought both candidates were jokes, like normal. But the result was surprising, so for the first time in my life I decided to actually dig in and see what was happening. I mean, the media couldn't be lying to me, right? How did this strange turn of events come to be?

Needless to say, my eyes were opened. Today I woke up and watched some videos from my YouTube feed.

Milo attacking fat people and ethnic folk
youtu.be...

Ben Shapiro bashing BLM
youtu.be...

Attacks on BLM from all corners
youtu.be...

I find this strange, because I used to think these kinds of videos were bad. Now they actually make sense.

Maybe the strangest thing is when I heard Ann Coulter say that we are a nation created by settlers, not immigrants.
youtu.be...

I'd never thought of it that way, but I don't know how to argue that point. It also makes sense.

I guess the point is I'm a little shocked that a little research flipped me into "redneck" territory so quickly, and how that actually seems to stand up to facts quite well.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: swedy13

The left dream about wacky ideas and the right does it.

They're both equally needed.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: swedy13
I guess the point is I'm a little shocked that a little research flipped me into "redneck" territory so quickly, and how that actually seems to stand up to facts quite well.

Some horses don't drink ... even when led to water.

It's quite the view when you can see the scene from two sides simultaneously, isn't it? "Here ... let me share my binoculars with you."

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Always question authority, question motivations, and never trust anyone.

Especially on-line.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Always question authority, question motivations, and never trust anyone.

Especially on-line.

Unless they claim they're royalty.

In which case you should give those bank details out and wait for the money to roll in.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   

If you are shocked by what a little 'research' has done to fiip you from what you thought you were into something else, you might want to drum up some caution.

You think you might have been 'fairly liberal' but add 'in retrospect'. This is suggestive of having been ''ill-defined'' in your political leanings prior to your present state of awareness.

Yet from your list of 'information sources' it seems you are absorbing a decidedly one sided narrative on our present circumstances. I only reply because you say you are 'shocked'.
And not to disparage the general point of view that is disseminated by the list you provide, it is after all one perspective and that in light of your shock might summon caution.

Though this is an extreme example, when a person begins to define reality around them from a single source they are often in the clutches of a cult. Cults are based around a sense of community, often with a guru or teacher or leader who dispenses wisdom for the group. But core to any cult is a specified 'belief system''. These belief systems are of course coherent and stand up well to facts. But what facts. Only some.

For a well rounded grounding in facts, a broad spectrum of perspectives is needed, not just what is being shoveled by one belief system or another. And while our 'larger' political picture cannot be defined solely in terms of cultism the comparisons are there to be made.

As to the Coulter video, you are right, she makes some very good points. However, Rivera does as well.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I'm a good Mechainc, if something doesn't work you change it. This is a logical thought, then it starts to work again. I look at Chicago, same people in charge all these years and it only getting worse. Logic would dictate a change is in order, it seem very simple to me. And yes I know the answer isn't easy but doing the same thing makes no sense.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   

A bit a youtube to feed your appetite more... and one that may fit your voting opinions as well. I used to feel the same as this video and did not vote. Then, as I got older, and started reflecting on the fact that this Country's forefathers fought and died for the right of American citizens to vote. That led into feeling compelled to vote, and now I see it as a civil duty. How I was able to keep my senses through it all, is by remaining focused on the legacies/tyrannies of the red and blue. I shove all issues to the side and focus on realities that the red & blue are mortal enemies up until the point of a 3rd party or more getting involved... they then magically are in full agreement. How people stay stuck in the vortex of thinking red or blue can fix things, when a full abolition of the party system is more then likely needed, is beyond me?

I refuse to vote for red or blue... therefore I feel I still played my part in my civil duty, while not participating in the madnesses of voting for the same over and over. If a 3rd party gets 5% vote within an election, then that 3rd party gets campaign funding come the next election... with such 2 poor options, not even 5% pulled their vote to a 3rd party candidate. It seems people still do and will always vote through the red or blue... and ironically be more firm in their political views then those who just want change and reverse of direction... no matter who is willing to provide change with a neutral mind set for all citizens, the red and blue supporters will always strive to shut down a new movement when it starts to show to be possible.

Why are you here I ask? I would assume that you prefer to hear as many and as quality opinions of the World's on-goings to reflect on for yourself and then give birth to your own opinions of the World around us. I have swayed many of my opinions based on what I read at this site... hopefully you find the same. Best of luck in the rabbit hole!
edit on 12-2-2017 by ttobban because: forgot to add video... oops

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Thanks for the lecture, I guess.

"In retrospect" means I was a-political and therefore didn't identify with any party. Only now do I have a context in which to place my former viewpoints. I feel like I explained that, but probably not clearly enough.

As for viewpoints, I've watched CNN and MSNBC today as well. I'm just saying that the far skewed right videos actually resonate with me, which is the surprise.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: ttobban

Thanks. I've seen that video but I didn't really understand it until recently (it's funny either way). And yes, I'm here because this seems like a pretty good place to get news from both perspectives at the moment, although I feel like it definitely leans right.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

Some horses don't drink ... even when led to water.

It's quite the view when you can see the scene from two sides simultaneously, isn't it? "Here ... let me share my binoculars with you."

My favorite line from Bruce WIllis in the old "Moonlighting" TV show...

"You can lead a horse to water, but that doesn't make him a duck"

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   
BTW - There's a song in your OP title somewhere.

Oh yeah, Talking Heads - "Same As It Ever Was...

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Who is left, what is right, when is up, how are we down... all I read in those words is... DIVIDE.

I completely ignore when ATS members try to put my opinions, your opinions, or any other ATS member's opinions into a category of any sorts. Such as when you say left or right... left or right is a very vague description of many things... kind of like saying, 'the store is over yonder.' Once people stop putting those file folders in their mind on people's opinions for things, then naturally the paths of expansion open up.

I don't care to be right... I like the ideas that what is now right may be wrong.
I don't care to be left... I like marching forward to find more possibility.

edit on 12-2-2017 by ttobban because: spelling

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: ttobban

Ok, I agree this probably isn't an evergreen post. 2 or 5 or 10 years down the road right and left in this context will make no sense.

They're general terms used to describe behavior and are easily differentiated based on the facts of today, which is why I used them. If you have a better way to phrase what I said, please do so, otherwise your post is well meaning but doesn't help anything.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   

I hate to provide advice... as each owns uncharted path provides the necessary learning to provide a sense of balance in beliefs. My beliefs and opinions have stemmed from the life I was born into and the environment that surrounds it... you have been on a similarly different voyage in life.

Since it seems you may have asked for my thoughts on simplifying the vortexes of categorization. I keep breaking down titles into further questioning... that way one never gets satisfied with a conclusion. That means nothing more then... you and I may be left or right of a said issue, but view what is left or right as holding different meaning. Therefore, what seems as a file folder system to be made simpler, actually may be acting as added paths to reflect on... when the title being removed actually acts as a unified path to reflect on. Now, in my less jumbled mind... I have more time to reflect on issues individually, instead of which group involves the debates provided.

I also don't want issues to be molded to reflect what I feel. I am merely one of billions, and I think the energy of billions of thoughts out powers my singular thoughts. I feel that our neighbors are left about things, right about others, down with some, and up to speed on some things... why complicate the sea of infinite variables?

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Maybe the strangest thing is when I heard Ann Coulter say that we are a nation created by settlers, not immigrants.

The US to a tee. Totaly ok for them to do what they like, but when someone else does the same thing from the other side of the fence, it's viewed as complete opposite.

they're the Fat kid who wanted all the candy, and got mad when you had just one.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Yep. The old saying 'Power Corrupts and Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely' is in full effect.

ATS and the good people here should wake you up like amphetamines.

There is no excuse for going through life sleep walking.

Welcome to world of the Real.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Thanks for the lecture, I guess.

"In retrospect" means I was a-political and therefore didn't identify with any party. Only now do I have a context in which to place my former viewpoints. I feel like I explained that, but probably not clearly enough.

As for viewpoints, I've watched CNN and MSNBC today as well. I'm just saying that the far skewed right videos actually resonate with me, which is the surprise.

A-political, yeah, got it. And I didn't mean to 'lecture' though I suppose I do come off that way a lot. Really just wanted to "add' perspective that is often not apparent.

I can hardly remember being a-political myself it was so long ago that I entered into any form of political awareness. Back then in the 60s and living in San Francisco that jump from a-political came at the same time as the wave of anti-establishment rose up for my generation in the form of liberals breaking free of the old standards and mores. Myself I am glad for the skewed right perspective in that I can see more clearly how the two sides, left and right, actually reflect one another, neither of which taken alone offer any kind of solution to our problems.

And all that stuff about cults? I got drawn into one years ago and having managed to break free of that 'belief system' am now cautious with how easy it can be to fall into a mindset that is not so easily gotten out of. From your post I assumed that you are in a period of mental and awareness expansion and just wanted to offer a few cautionary insights.

My lecture number two? Stay centered.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Thanks, and sorry for being snippy, that was uncalled for as my post really didn't clarify enough in the first place.

new topics

top topics

join