It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING NEWS: Trump Supports Access to Experimental Drugs For Terminally lIl

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 12:47 AM
link   
a reply to: InFriNiTee

Diabetes. That's a hard one to classify as terminal.
Granted, the life expectancy is limited compared to those who are not afflicted but ...

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 12:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Noncents
I don't care if it was Joseph Stalin that's responsible for it and honestly neither should anyone else... Right now there's no guarantee that someone stuck in a life of pain with no hope for a solution can try something that could work. Their choice can be denied.

When someone you love is stuck in a bad place, a really bad place and there's nothing at all you can do about it then any light is good light. Politics be damned.

If this changes to become the choice of the patient it's a good thing.

Their doctor only needs to apply for it. Joining a study would only give them a % chance they are in a placebo group.

I am not sure what you are saying Trump is responsible for.
edit on 12-2-2017 by reldra because: (no reason given)

He said he supports and might sign an executive order that terminally ill patients could try a drug. I am not sure he would sign an EO of that nature without restrictions.

Of course the FDA says no sometimes. But logically, it is NOT just a 'few hundred' people the FDA has approved for use of an experimental drug outside of a clinical trial.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 12:49 AM
link   
People who are dying would LOVE to test new drugs. I don't see a problem.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 12:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

I want you to re-read my posts very slowly and let me know when I said Trump was responsible for anything.

Please.
edit on 12-2-2017 by Noncents because: Fixed Quote

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 12:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Noncents

I want you to re-read my posts very slowly and let me know when I said Trump was responsible for anything.

Please.

I don't care if it was Joseph Stalin that's responsible for it and honestly neither should anyone else..

If you are staying on topic, and the topic is the OP, you are speaking in terms of who is responsible, now.

But there has been no change, so even the very idea of assigning responsibility of any kind at this point is flawed.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 12:59 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

I'm glad to hear the treatment worked! If it is commonly still available today, then I would say the medical system is working. If that drug that they gave you worked for you, and is NOT on the market today - then something is broken.

I won't give Trump credit for making experimental drugs available. Just that if this happens, it may make them easier to get. Just make the best choice and let's hope it all works out! There was actually an experimental medical treatment that I was denied for. I think it was based on my overall medical criteria, but I'm sure that this will make some things easier to at least get a chance at trying. I think it is a step in the right direction.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Gee all those people I've known who've been rejected must be liars then. Glad you were lucky enough to be approved.

As someone who got such life saving help you'd think you would be more open to the process being made easier, and making it the choice of the patient whether it's worth the risk and not the doctor.

We have way too much life saving potential tied up in bureaucracy. Too many are left waiting, and rejections are all too common, and things are held back from helping the public far too long.

Anything even slightly that might make this more common is good. Instead of bitching that Trumps name came up, let's instead praise him and ask him to do more. Even if he had nothing to do with it, the praise will inflate his ego enough to make him actually do more, especially if it comes from both sides.

Trump is easy to manipulate, push him and he'll push back hard with everything he's got, feed his ego and give him opportunities to earn praise and admiration and he'll jump at the chance.

You need to lead him where you want to go with positive reinforcement, give him opportunities to earn praise, and guide him in the direction you want.

Or you can try reverse psychology, start bitching at him about things you actually want him to do as if you hate him for it, and watch him do what you want to spite you because he thinks you don't. His psychology is very simple.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 01:01 AM
link   
In my first post I said "they", meaning the government but I guess that needed spelling out. in my second post I reiterated that I didn't care who is responsible.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 01:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: InFriNiTee

I'm glad to hear the treatment worked! If it is commonly still available today, then I would say the medical system is working.

Thanks. Yes it is.

You were following up to a thread called, "Donald Trump Did it, Diseases Will Be Cured". That is just silly. I am surprised the man ties his shoes in the morning.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 01:02 AM
link   

If that drug that they gave you worked for you, and is NOT on the market today - then something is broken.

Not true.
Without clinical trials it cannot be determined if any treatment is effective or safe. In absence of a controlled study, Reldra's case can only be regarded as anecdotal.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 01:04 AM
link   
As long as big pharma dangles the dream of 'maybe', people will live in hope and pay up
Big Pharma will continue making money from those living out their own, unwarrented death sentance

Someone: educate me as to your health secretary - is their background as good, solid and relevant as the new education secretary is ?

*Not p'ing on the thread (being realist), the new Pres. is a 'businessman' which = money first*

To add *serendipitous* :www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 12/2/17 by Damiel because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 01:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

Thank you for noticing! I fixed the thread title.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 01:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove

Gee all those people I've known who've been rejected must be liars then. Glad you were lucky enough to be approved.

As someone who got such life saving help you'd think you would be more open to the process being made easier, and making it the choice of the patient whether it's worth the risk and not the doctor.

We have way too much life saving potential tied up in bureaucracy. Too many are left waiting, and rejections are all too common, and things are held back from helping the public far too long.

Anything even slightly that might make this more common is good. Instead of bitching that Trumps name came up, let's instead praise him and ask him to do more. Even if he had nothing to do with it, the praise will inflate his ego enough to make him actually do more, especially if it comes from both sides.

Trump is easy to manipulate, push him and he'll push back hard with everything he's got, feed his ego and give him opportunities to earn praise and admiration and he'll jump at the chance.

Or you can try reverse psychology, start bitching at him about things you actually want him to do as if you hate him for it, and watch him do what you want to spite you because he thinks you don't. His psychology is very simple.

I have no idea why they were rejected. I do not know the criteria. I know there was a lot of paperwork. I remember being very ill during the treatment, which included some heavy steroids on top of the unapproved drug. But it worked. I was lucky. You are right. People you know do not constitute a large swath of all people, I don't think. They didn't lie, but what percent of the population are they?

In regard to Trump, no matter what I say will not change him. I am not important enough. Using reverse psychology on him is a good idea, but only people close to him could pull that off.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 01:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

If that drug that they gave you worked for you, and is NOT on the market today - then something is broken.

Not true.
Without clinical trials it cannot be determined if any treatment is effective or safe. In absence of a controlled study, Reldra's case can only be regarded as anecdotal.

I agree with you that it is not broken. But my case is a little bit more than anecdotal. Anecdotal normally is something like , "I had this friend who..." This is a thing that normally attacks the brain and kills, early. I was already lucky it was just in my eye. I believe this drug, along with steroids, has been used since, because of my case. In cases where they believe sight can be saved. It is very risky.

So this speaks to the OP in saying there is a reason the patient doesn't have all of the choice. If this treatment failed, I had room for one more tiny area of scar tissue. If I didn't, they would have said no.

In regard to the terminally ill, if the FDA thinks, for example, the drug may cause your very painful death within an hour with little chance of curing you beforehand, they may say no.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 01:30 AM
link   

I am proof of this. An experimental drug not yet approved by the FDA for anything was used in treatment for toxoplasmosis in my right eye in about 1985.

you are proof of ONE example. You are NOT proof that this is easy to happen or that other diseases would be treated the same way or what levels of danger must be cleared.. I know a LOT of people who were refused treatment.

your story is your story, but it does make some sense.

Stress will kill you. If Trump said the sky was blue you would melt down on ATS trying to convince us it's green.

I know Phage can't stand Trump either but he's speaking calmly.
edit on 12-2-2017 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Were you a part of a clinical trial? If not...

But as I first said, awesome for you. Without trials, no one knows how dangerous or effective a treatment may be.

edit on 2/12/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 01:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Reverbs

I am proof of this. An experimental drug not yet approved by the FDA for anything was used in treatment for toxoplasmosis in my right eye in about 1985.

you are proof of ONE example. You are NOT proof that this is easy to happen or that other diseases would be treated the same way or what levels of danger must be cleared.. I know a LOT of people who were refused treatment.

your story is your story, but it does make some sense.

Stress will kill you. If Trump said the sky was blue you would melt down on ATS trying to convince us it's green.

First of all, it is not easy. But is is not impossible, which the OP seems to infer.

Second of all, if Trump said the sky was blue I would wonder why he was stating the obvious. It is Trump supporters that would agree if he said it was green, purple, polka dotted or a Chinese plot to make money.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 01:37 AM
link   

just agree this is a good thing.

don't turn it into a mission.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 01:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Were you a part of a clinical trial? If not...

But as I first said, awesome for you. Without trials, no one knows how dangerous or effective a treatment may be.

No, I wasn't.

True. I think it was learned that the corticosteroid had more side effects than the main treatment.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 01:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

make all mary jane legal!!!! lmao everywhere for everyone!! be a lot more peaceful right?

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join