It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yale Renames Calhoun College Over Slavery Ties

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Issuing amnesty orders to the SS. Hitler signed a large number of amnesty orders to the SS personnel who were involved in the atrocities. So that even if they committed crimes according the current law, they were spared of any responsibilities.

Kind of says it was not legal to me .

history.stackexchange.com...

There is no known order by Hitler authorising concentration camps .
edit on 12-2-2017 by hutch622 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Funny liberals don't hide anything about Vikings, Romans, Greeks, Egyptians, and Muslims which all profited from the slave trade?

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 02:30 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

I don't think he ever won the pres, he ran and dropped out. He was some mucky muck in the Democratic, that's right the DEMOCRATIC party.

calhoun held many positions in the federal government, he was vice presidents under two presidents, those were John Quincy Adams and Andrew Jackson. he was a senator and a representative from South Carolina, sectary of state, and sectary of war.
he was also the one that came up with the Calhoun doctrine.
edit on 12-2-2017 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 03:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: PistolPete

I would not name a building after Calhoun now, but in 1936, if I remember the date correctly, it must have made some sense. Changing it isn't putting the genie back in the bottle. Again the guy was born in 1780.

So what difference does it make if Yale, a private institution, decides to change the name? Things change over time as the world adapts to different viewpoints. The main point is why do you care? If the denizens of the county of Calhoun, Michigan vote to change the name then have at it. If I were a sign painter there I would get myself on the county council and push that initiative. Local government is as corrupt as anything.

Tardacus: You're ridiculous. Of course they didn't pass a Jew burning law. If you don't think that The Final Solution to the "Jewish Question" was considered a legitimate thing in Nazi Germany then help us all.

This is from the article posted in the "Georgetown Professor said horrible things" thread:

Heatstreet
According to Lee, Brown’s lecture was supposed to revolve around slavery in Islam, but the lecturer moved its focus to criticize the United States, United Kingdom and China. Brown described slavery in these non-Muslim societies as brutal, which they were, but lauded the historically inhumane practice in Arab lands and Turkey. “Indeed, according to Brown, slaves in the Muslim world lived a pretty good life,” wrote Lee. “I thought the Muslim community was done with this dishonest North Korean style of propaganda. Obviously not.”

Damn near what John Calhoun thought.

edit on (2/12/1717 by PistolPete because: grammar

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 04:18 AM
link   
This renaming is just more gesture politics. Renaming a college costs money and can better be spent doing academic research where ALL RACES can work together based on merit.

I am black too!

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 04:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: neutronflux
Funny liberals don't hide anything about Vikings, Romans, Greeks, Egyptians, and Muslims which all profited from the slave trade?

Ridiculous analysis. Name which of your examples ever included white supremacy??? White supremacy as a doctrine justified slavery and upturned the American constitution. Do you know when was JIM Crow repealed?
edit on 12-2-2017 by Tiger5 because: Add in more text

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 04:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tiger5
This renaming is just more gesture politics. Renaming a college costs money and can better be spent doing academic research where ALL RACES can work together based on merit.

I am black too!

How would you feel about staying in a dorm named after a Confederate General? Is it long enough ago that it's just letters on the side of a building? Not trolling - just legit curious as to what your thoughts are.
edit on (2/12/1717 by PistolPete because: werds

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 05:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus

nonsense, if it was legal then every german would have been allowed to have an oven in their house or garden and been allowed to throw any jew into it.at the very least every german would have been familiar with a law like that. no german has ever come forward to this day and said that it was legal under hitler to burn jews in ovens, in fact when the war ended most germans denied even knowing that it had happened.

hitler did a lot of crazy stuff as a dictator but that doesn`t mean it was legal in Germany.

dictators can dictate laws show me the law that says it was legal to burn jews in ovens in Germany.as the dictator surely hitler had the power to institute a law like that.

There was no holocaust law. But there were laws that made it possible in the first place. Jews were stripped of their citizenship, free movement and their property legally.

The direct orders to execute/exterminate Jews came from Himmler under the "final solution" plan. The practical notion was that "the Führer's word is above all written law".

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Okay. I mean I didn't say he was only pro-slavery. He was very pro slavery and a white supremacist. So it's not as if he just had a few slaves because it was the time of slavery. He genuinely believed whites to be a superior race.

As usual you focus on one point an ignore everything else you can't debate: ignore the white supremacist angle and ignore the question as to what the hell it matters to you. This isn't anybody trying to ban a confederate battle flag. It's a private university doing something with their own buildings that upsets you enough to make a thread blasting them over.

It's preposterous.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Justso

Or you could just accept that private institutions have the right to name their buildings, and rename their buildings, pretty much as they please.

So no, you don't "gotcha" anything because nothing you said bears any relevance whatsoever to what I said. Your hysterical "we need Congress!!!11!" tactic isn't going to work, because I said nothing of the sort. Didn't even imply it. What I implied, and said, is it's a private institution and snowflakes like you and the OP should probably stop spending so much time being upset about it.
edit on 12-2-2017 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

Boom the truth.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: PistolPete

originally posted by: Tiger5

I am black too!

How would you feel about staying in a dorm named after a Confederate General? Is it long enough ago that it's just letters on the side of a building? Not trolling - just legit curious as to what your thoughts are.

Dear Sir

The last time I looked there were only 24hrs in the day. I went to university and was alongside racists. I also had to study data on high altitude physiology that was gain from Nazi experimentation on the Jews.

I just say stay focussed on he bigger picture and look forwards. Racism is horrid but believe me the past I the past. The whole shooting of innocent people by cops is a damn sight more recent. That is my current interest not some old dead guy's name on the side of a building.

Truth be known America was built oon racism. What are we do sterilise the entire country? Burn it down?? No[e just build a better future.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 10:00 AM
link   

History mattes.
If we are to look for perfection in leaders, we will have none. The constant grinding of stone reminds me of Egypt when a new leader was took over. Get the chisels out, nothing Ramsis did was with a Shi!.

I would think this to be a "teachable moment" about how things were in 1800 and how we as a society have changed.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

To be a slave holder you are by default a white supremacist.

Seems that shouldn't have to be pointed out, but there you go.

I hope I meet the stringent debating score card that is kept.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
History mattes.

Did Yale somehow obliterate Calhoun from the history books? Will people suddenly forget that he was the 7th Vice President of the United States of America?

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 11:38 AM
link   

You don't. Time and again, you don't.

Which is why you produce thread after thread like this, and wind up arguing one point out of 12, then attempt to argue semantics as if they somehow have changed the greater point being made.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Doesn't matter, Yale should've left it alone because...reasons. And stuff.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
Doesn't matter, Yale should've left it alone because...reasons. And stuff.

And it's funny how it's usually the small government 'conservatives' that want to get all up in other people's business.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

I didn't think that there were 12 points to the Yale should or shouldn't try to ignore history.

You seem to make it a "you always do" thing. Let's stick to the facts.

Is owning slaves in the 1800's an automatic white supremacist situation?
Before you answer, remember that people actually owned people, did not pay them, could treat them like crap and the laws of treatment were very open to interpretation. Oh and you owned their offspring too. Very very sick stuff.

Would you agree, that just the act of "owning" someone else makes you a pretty rotten person? I don't think you can get to a super rotten person, and if I understand your point, you are saying Calhoun is super duper bad? Am I close?

If you owned other person, you think you are better than that person, in this case white supremacy is very accurate.
edit on 12-2-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Oh you mean I'm not the only one that sees the irony in people who mostly want to be left alone posting about how they think somebody else should listen to how they should do things?

I didn't think I was the only one seeing that but it's nice to have confirmation.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join