It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sanctuary cities cave in face of Trump's funding threats

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

But outside of that, one big reason is future votes.

Unfortunately, this is what it boils down towards.

These future votes would also help to sustain and continue the 'state of entitlements'...which is also big money.

mg

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 08:37 PM
link   

a reply to: angeldoll

I think the past Administrations could have easily amended federal laws to allow Sanctuaries to legally exist.

Instead, they just used the "selective" enforcement and preferential privilege policies in place.

Now all that is changing fast.

They didnt need to amend anything. Sanctuary cites are legal as local and state governments cant be forced to enforce federal laws.

What is happening now is that people that were willing to work with local and state law enforcement will now go back into hiding making us less safer then before.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Pyle

they aren`t being forced to enforce federal immigration law.
nobody is asking the states to arrest, charge and put on trial people who are here illegally.
states honor extradition of criminals to other states where the criminal has committed crimes.

if a state knows that a criminal in their prison is wanted by another state for crimes they notify the other state that their wanted person is in a prison in our state.

failure to notify the appropriate authorities of an illegal is considered aiding and abetting and conspiracy to aid and abet an illegal.

A person (including a group of persons, business, organization, or local government) commits a federal felony when she or he:

* assists an alien s/he should reasonably know is illegally in the U.S.
It is a violation of law for any person to conceal, harbor, or shield from detection in any place, including any building or means of transportation, any alien who is in the United States in violation of law. HARBORING MEANS ANY CONDUCT THAT TENDS TO SUBSTANTIALLY FACILITATE AN ALIEN TO REMAIN IN THE U.S. ILLEGALLY

americanpatrol.com...

edit on 11-2-2017 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pyle

What is happening now is that people that were willing to work with local and state law enforcement will now go back into hiding making us less safer then before.

So 'they' are also making anonymous tip lines and anonymous reporting a crime?

Police here are not being asked nor expected to enforce Federal Law on the streets, just once a suspected criminal is caught and jailed. They must have ICE get involved at this point.

Street level enforcement is being handled by ICE.

mg

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
I thought Conservatives favored power be with the states, and keeping the Federal Government OUT of their affairs?

How do you justify this intrusion of state's rights?

The last thing we want is for anybody, or any entity such as Congressmen, Senators, Judges, Journalists, or States to feel threatened or bullied into acting against their better judgment.

I frankly find this disturbing.

Federal funding for state services is not a states right. Im not sure how you came up with that.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: missed_gear

So 'they' are also making anonymous tip lines and anonymous reporting a crime?

Police here are not being asked nor expected to enforce Federal Law on the streets, just once a suspected criminal is caught and jailed. They must have ICE get involved at this point.

Street level enforcement is being handled by ICE.

mg

This is already what they do! Sacntuary cities just dont go after people not committing crimes once they are in the country.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords
a reply to: carewemust

What does Emanuel and/or Chicago GAIN, by sheltering and protecting people living in the city Illegally!? Any ideas?

That's the million dollar question, isn't it. It is not out of the goodness of their heart or for some altruistic purpose, imo. Why would they go directly against federal law. Why would they hinder the federal government for enacting enforcement of the laws that are within federal purview? They are benefiting in some way by someone that makes it worth their while. Something stinks.

Because they can't win elections without illegals voting.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Its all fun and games until they pull the plug on the food stamps...

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 09:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Pyle

Well get ready to come to terms with the high probability that we will see a massive increase in Federal presence in the bigger cities that are harboring illegals.

This is going to get real messy real fast.

The Feds have the full authority to go where ever they want in any State to enforce Federal laws.

Get ready for a reality hit.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   

a reply to: angeldoll

I think the past Administrations could have easily amended federal laws to allow Sanctuaries to legally exist.

Instead, they just used the "selective" enforcement and preferential privilege policies in place.

Now all that is changing fast.

They didnt need to amend anything. Sanctuary cites are legal as local and state governments cant be forced to enforce federal laws.

BS, won't need to hide if they ain't here to be caught up in crimes.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Here's more tidbits to crunch on.

What is ICE and ICE ACCESS

MEMORANDUM OF AGREEMENT BETWEEN U.S. DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY IMMIGRATION AND CUSTOMS ENFORCEMENT And
[STATE IDENTIFICATION BUREAU]

ICE Cancels Enforcement Agreements with 32 Local Partners December 31, 2012

Last week, ICE quietly announced that it was terminating 32 local enforcement task force partnerships, known as 287(g) agreements, some of which have been operating successfully for as long as ten years. This follows the revocation earlier this year of seven other task force agreements in Arizona. ICE has offered no specific reasons for the cancellation of these agreements, other than that it thinks it can do a better job without its local partners.
Guess who did this ? Hmmm.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 09:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
It is obvious what is gained.... votes for Democrats.

That is often the claim but I don't think so. There has to be money involved.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik

originally posted by: Edumakated
It is obvious what is gained.... votes for Democrats.

That is often the claim but I don't think so. There has to be money involved.

In Chicago, votes are money.

It's been like that here for over a hundred years.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I guess I was pointing out that money is the prime motivator. Also, it isn't just a dem thing.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 09:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: missed_gear

Here in Texas, 'Sanctuary Cities' will also be losing State funding to the police force(s) of said city. But even further...

A bill has passed the Senate, heading to the House, which allows the victims of crimes committed by the release of an illegal alien(s) to sue the State/Local official(s) that released them, without consulting or turning the over to ICE, and/or...

.. should the illegal which was released after sentencing for a crime and commits a felony within ten years of being released the official that released the illegal alien, without consulting or turning them over to ICE, which committed the crime(s) may also be sued by the victim(s) present and past.

But no one I know here is complaining, in fact in public conversations the general air is "Finally!!"

mg

Wow.. I agree.. Finally!!! I personally know 2 families who have suffered grievous crimes by illegals. Only one is in Texas though. I hope the other states who have a high illegal criminal rate will follow suit.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Thank-you for that detailed explanation, Xuechen. I had no idea that illegal immigrants could be a money-maker for cities that are run by certain types of politicians.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Thank-you for that detailed explanation, Xuechen. I had no idea that illegal immigrants could be a money-maker for cities that are run by certain types of politicians.

It also goes deeper with things like vice aka prostitution and gambling etc. not to mention gun running and human trafficking.

Lots of payoff for the politicians.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 01:40 AM
link   

That will condense and corral the problem.

"That will condense and corral the problem." - A. Hitler 1934

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 01:51 AM
link   

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join