It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sanctuary cities cave in face of Trump's funding threats

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+17 more 
posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 06:19 PM
link   
The possibility of losing some Federal money is apparently causing some of the "Sanctuary Cities" in the U.S. to think again.

A few areas that have chosen to not cooperate with Federal Authorities when it comes to reporting illegal immigrants are rescinding their laws and policies and saying they will now cooperate !!

Of course the die-hards continue to defy as usual.

Big confrontations coming that will probably end up in the courts.

Trump and the Justice Dept need to get going with appointing more immigration judges because the last Administration has left some empty chairs that are clogging the system. Too many "detainees" could be let loose again never to return to court.

'We're going to see more': Sanctuary cities cave in face of Trump's funding threats

Several towns, cities and counties around the nation are caving to President Trump's threat to pull funding, and abandoning their "sanctuary" pledges to shield illegal immigrants from federal authorities.

Dayton, Ohio, dropped a policy that restricted the city’s cooperation with immigration officials pursuing illegal immigrants arrested for misdemeanors or felony property crimes, according to the Dayton Daily News. Police Chief Richard Biehl said federal authorities will no longer be impeded by the city when pursuing illegal immigrants being held by his department.

Other communities that have dropped policies of shielding illegal immigrant suspects from Immigration and Customs Enforcement include Miami-Dade and Dayton, are Saratoga, N.Y., Finney County, Kan., and Bedford, Penn., according to The Center for Immigration Studies, which keeps a list of sanctuary communities.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 06:21 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

It sounds like Vermont, where I was born and raised, is actually approving additional sanctuary cities. Our capital, Montpelier apparently just requested to become a sanctuary city (link)

I'm sure Vermont is one of the "Die-hards" you referred to in your OP.

"As the world turns..."

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

It sounds like Vermont, where I was born and raised, is actually approving additional sanctuary cities. Our capital, Montpelier apparently just requested to become a sanctuary city (link)

"As the world turns..."

That will condense and corral the problem.

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Several towns, cities and counties around the nation are caving to President Trump's threat to pull funding, and abandoning their "sanctuary" pledges to shield illegal immigrants from federal authorities.

Flawless Victory!

Trump ain't gonna win on everything.

But let's hope he has more wins than losses!

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   

"As the world turns..."

Well yes and let us all keep in mind, and let this demonstrate, what and who has moved to take control of population clusters.....those little blue dot areas. LOL
edit on 11-2-2017 by Logarock because: n

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I thought Conservatives favored power be with the states, and keeping the Federal Government OUT of their affairs?

How do you justify this intrusion of state's rights?

The last thing we want is for anybody, or any entity such as Congressmen, Senators, Judges, Journalists, or States to feel threatened or bullied into acting against their better judgment.

I frankly find this disturbing.

+14 more 
posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

What laws say localities can over ride a Federal immigration law?

And who says all these efforts by Trump are genuinely Conservative ?

+6 more 
posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 06:36 PM
link   

I thought Conservatives favored power be with the states, and keeping the Federal Government OUT of their affairs? How do you justify this intrusion of state's rights?

Pretty easy to justify.

The ACA no one had the right to refuse.

Gun control. no one has the right to refuse.

Then comes along Sanctuary cities, and illegal immigration.

If the former can't be refused neither can the latter.

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I wonder how many of these places were just as fed up with the Liberal BS as we are and just looking for an excuse to stop shielding immigrants. They put up a front to look good, but are using "There's nothing we can do, we need the money" to allow them to dump their policy.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Just because you CAN bully, threaten, intimidate, manipulate, and Blackmail someone, (or state) doesn't mean you should. Americans are used to freedom. This doesn't sound much like freedom.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll

Just because you CAN bully, threaten, intimidate, manipulate, and Blackmail someone, (or state) doesn't mean you should. Americans are used to freedom. This doesn't sound much like freedom.

It's a complicated legal issue.

The Supreme Court will probably end up making the final decision.

The Role of State & Local Enforcement in Immigration Matters and Reasons to Resist Sanctuary Policies

Some conflicting laws and court decisions ^^^^

+10 more 
posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Yeah, well were not actually taking about Americans here. It's about illegal immigrants

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 06:53 PM
link   
No person or group of people is above the LAW.

Anyone that says otherwise(excusing illegals behavior) is insulting every single American citizen that gets beat on the head with them every single day.

If the LAWS don't have to be followed then do away with the Judiciary, and congress.

Do away with it.

Until then.

People. No matter who they are or where they come from don't get to pick and choose, and think they are above them.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Well here you are back. I thought I had shut you up with my brilliant wisdom.

I don't like the smell of it.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
No person or group of people is above the LAW.

Anyone that says otherwise(excusing illegals behavior) is insulting every single American citizen that gets beat on the head with them every single day.

If the LAWS don't have to be followed then do away with the Judiciary, and congress.

Do away with it.

Until then.

People. No matter who they are or where they come from don't get to pick and choose, and think they are above them.

I honestly wonder what some of you would do without "laws" to define your every little thought. To spell out every little decision and action. I think there are people who would go into an absolute tailspin without laws! lol.

Wouldn't dare know what to think or do without a LAW, clearly in black and white, or otherwise LOST, so lost!

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Well here you are back. I thought I had shut you up with my brilliant wisdom.

I don't like the smell of it.

The resistors are eventually going to have to face the issues.

Once we start seeing mass migrations away from current Sanctuaries to the ones left over, the problems will multiply beyond belief.

Then you will see the Feds flood the places like a broken water dam.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 07:06 PM
link   

I think the past Administrations could have easily amended federal laws to allow Sanctuaries to legally exist.

Instead, they just used the "selective" enforcement and preferential privilege policies in place.

Now all that is changing fast.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 07:14 PM
link   

I thought Conservatives favored power be with the states, and keeping the Federal Government OUT of their affairs?

How do you justify this intrusion of state's rights?

I will hear you. What this is are these little clustered city lib strongholds and I will give them props for securing these areas. But they have been on the government tit like many others to include higher education lib centers. So now what we see is the full measure of the libs and the establishment Repugs losing control......the handles in place will now be used against them.

A lot of libs are understanding how stupid we are not. We know how to play ball and frankly we like it ruffer....LOL WOOOOWWWOOW! Than the average lib.
edit on 11-2-2017 by Logarock because: n

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   

"As the world turns..."

Ah Yes Vermont, the state that has been least affected by immigration in the United States, 94% non-hispanic white, and likely one of the most homogenous cultures in the country. I give them a pass for being oblivious.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join