It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands of Rounds of Ammo Stolen From Crater Lake Park

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

I misunderstood your comment about if it was .22 ammo or a bunch of other calibers.
Brainfarted- my apologies.

If you want the quantities though, you could most likely find the purchase orders on biz.gov

Roughly 10000 rounds were taken. According to local sources. I could not get totals on which calibers.
edit on 2102017 by Natas0114 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Someone has stolen thousands of rounds of ammunition from a locked building at Crater Lake National Park, and the National Park Service is asking for the public’s help in finding the whoever is responsible.

What a strange statement. Was the building still locked when the merch was stolen?
Then, as a member of the public, I'd like to offer this help---give polygraphs to all those who had access to the keys to that building.

Was the lock cut on the building? My help would be to take fingerprints and look for the owners of the fingerprints.

Note to all federal agencies stockpiling weapons and ammo---Don't put all your eggs (guns and ammo) in one basket. It's just common sense.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

Most likely an employee was bitching about having to inventory the rounds, and change out the desiccant packages. Guys have girlfriends, and freinds who pay attention to more than most people think. It could have been a simple statement that caused someone to put 2 and 2 together and realize that there was ammo stockpiled in a remote area.

But yes I agree, there should be better security in place.
edit on 2102017 by Natas0114 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Its probably all the 9mm and .556/.223 they were buying up during Obamas 1st 4 years to drive up the price and make generally unavailable to be purchased.

I can imagine there a quite a few more "caches" of ammo stockpiled in national parks every where.
edit on 10-2-2017 by BlueJacket because: eta

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

Maybe I'll have to go out on a few treasure hunts myself. Might find my tax dollars out there in the woods. -heh heh-

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Indeed U do love the great outdoors!

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 01:51 AM
link   

If i give 20 guys 50 rounds, (5 mags worth) does it still sound obscene ?

# i have blown through 250 at a good range day... expensive but good..... its not that much...

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 01:55 AM
link   

A lot of glock and similar guns have magazines of well over ten rounds... if a mag holds 10 rounds. 10 mags is 100 rounds... thats one man.

If a glock mag can hold lets say 15 rounds... 10 mags is 150...this means 10 men hold 1500 rounds..... 10 men.... at my line of work, i work with 150 people....

If we needed bullets.... well #. I might sound obscene to you, even if they only gave us one #ing mag.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Many officers in remote areas carry 3 to 4 times the ammo that city cop carry.
I know of officers in Nevada that carry 4 to 5 50 Cal ammo cans of just ammo in there cars.
That's pistol, rifle, shotgun and gas rounds plus sometimes flashbangs.

Many times there backups are a hour or two away.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Aeshma

Im kidding lol. I have more then 10000 rounds in my safe and own a shooting range.

I shoot hundreds at a time...sigh

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 08:54 AM
link   

it's been common knowledge that just about every federal government agency has a armed law enforcement / militarized division, along with many state and local governments. there's big money to be made and they are using it to milk out every cent they can, the government and their corporate friends.

edit on 11-2-2017 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Sorry blue. Im just tired of people jumping on the "why so much " cross eyed argument.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Then there is this:

Feds still waging war on weed in Oregon

According to intelligence reports, violent Mexican drug cartels have been connected to large outdoor marijuana farms in Oregon. These sophisticated criminal gangs have been known to protect their grow operations with armed guards, booby traps and razor-wired fences.

Oregon has been known for large-scale Mexican drug cartel activity.

It happens in California and other national parks too:
Mexican Cartel Uses California National Park To Grow Pot, Kills Curious Hunters

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Aeshma

No worries

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   

State police does not patrol national parks. The rangers are doing the job of the police there.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 06:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl
Can anyone please tell me why a national park requires thousands of rounds of ammunition as part of its operations? Almost begs the question: How many damn guns ya got locked up in there?

Park Services are a fairly logical group to have armed - Crater Lake has a range of wild animals that can pose a risk, and they have their fair share of bad guys up to shady business. I think a bad guy got shot there a few years back for attacking a ranger with a weapon.

Ammunition goes surprisingly fast. Another report said that it was 10,000 rounds, which in turn is divided between different types - your link noted pistol and rifle, so at least two different calibers, possibly more.

There seems to be about 20 Rangers during peak periods, based on something noted on the Park website, so even if we don't split the 10,000 by type, that's still only 500 rounds per person to cover training, qualification, and carry use. I know people who could blow through that in a long afternoon at the range just for fun. Hell, even I have more than that in a single calibre, and I live in the land of Extreme Gun Control.

Edited to add: I see another post quotes "7 Rangers" who can carry firearms. So the maths needs to be corrected: 1,428 rounds per person. Splitting that between, say, pistol and rifle as the article suggests, that's still a mere 714 rounds. Really not a lot at all, especially if they keep up with any regular training.

edit on Ev29ThursdayThursdayAmerica/ChicagoThu, 16 Feb 2017 18:29:16 -06000612017b by EvillerBob because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Since some of the Rangers duties include law enforcement and knowing how few rounds a thousand rounds is for a group of people who likely routinely target practice as part of their job, I'm at a bit of a loss as to how this story is important or even conspiracy related?

It does sound like they need more secure storage, but the number of rounds is not worth mentioning.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: diggindirt
...give polygraphs...

Polygraphs? You might as well get them to sacrifice a chicken and read the gizzards to find the answer. At least that way you'll have something nice for lunch afterwards. Plus gizzard reading has more scientific credibility.

<< 1   >>

join