It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Scientists Collected a Piece of the Sun

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: 00018GE
a reply to: LuXTeN

Its safe if they only look at it at night.

You can't see the sun at night silly...

(just playin along)

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

That's their finest piece.

There is no competition, hence their almost God like status.

I agree. My new favorite thanks to that other great thread by LuxTen.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I hope you'll continue adding more videos to that thread

I've got a couple in mind I will add later.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: LuXTeN

Love to, thanks for the invite. I got one in my head I can't quite remember the lyrics to, so I can't search it. Driving me Karazy...

I'll find it though and seek others,

gotta go.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: LuXTeN

I saw a documentary about the sun last night. Explained in laymen terms, they cover this subject so we can understand it.

Highly recommended, its a newer show, could only find a preview about it...

Dscovery Channel documentary, The Dark Side of the Sun

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I agree that humans are of star dust .

We just need to get rid off the water imho ; being covered in mud makes shining impossibly pointless.

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 06:53 AM
link   
a reply to: 23432

Yes the Mud would be a huge problem wouldn't it.

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Nice i'll take a look, I haven't gotten around to posting a song yet, ugh Calgon take me away!!!! Never enough hours in a day is there?

ETA: That Doc looks really interesting, thank you!
edit on 15-2-2017 by LuXTeN because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: LuXTeN

There's a place on Earth where you can actually hold a piece of the Sun! Stored within two tidy cleanrooms at the Johnson Space Center in Houston, Texas is a collection of metallic wafers and foils, and etched within their insides are particles of the solar wind.

What is a solar wind particle?

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: TheSpottedOwl

The solar wind is a stream of charged particles released from the upper atmosphere of the Sun. This plasma consists of mostly electrons, protons and alpha particles with thermal energies between 1.5 and 10 keV. Embedded within the solar-wind plasma is the interplanetary magnetic field.[2] The solar wind varies in density, temperature and speed over time and over solar latitude and longitude. Its particles can escape the Sun's gravity because of their high energy resulting from the high temperature of the corona, which in turn is a result of the coronal magnetic field.

The solar wind streams plasma and particles from the sun out into space. Though the wind is constant, its properties aren't. What causes this stream, and how does it affect the Earth?

Windy star

The corona, the sun's outer layer, reaches temperatures of up to 2 million degrees Fahrenheit (1.1 million Celsius). At this level, the sun's gravity can't hold on to the rapidly moving particles, and it streams away from the star.

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Here is the wiki about "solar energetic particles".

Solar energetic particles (SEP) are high-energy particles coming from the Sun. They were first observed in the early 1940s. They consist of protons, electrons and HZE ions with energy ranging from a few tens of keV to GeV (the fastest particles can reach 80% of the speed of light). They are of particular interest and importance because they can endanger life in outer space (especially particles above 40 MeV).

en.wikipedia.org...

This article is now obsolete I guess. They were very adament about it though. That's science for ya.

From your article,

Analyses returned some fascinating results. For one, researchers determined that hypothetical particles called solar energetic particles did not actually exist within the solar wind, countering a long-held supposition from the Apollo era

Let me rephrase my question, what does the matter found in the samples consist of, exactly?

(I know they aren't saying that that no particles exist in it)

There's undoubtedly more we can learn from the solar particles. For now, they are safely stored away, waiting for novel technologies and inquisitive scientists to unlock their secrets.

They had the samples since '04, what secrets?
edit on 15-2-2017 by TheSpottedOwl because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   
We arent just made of star stuff, we are stars.
:]

a reply to: Phage

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   

You are correct. They were not collecting photons although there was apparatus to measure them & their rates. The collection plates were made of different metals, alloys and mineral salts. Each plate was designed to "capture" certain ions & elements ejected by the sun. The project was also hoping to capture evidence of the gasses in the ejections. Measurements of ejected gasses will help "date" the sun & perhaps, it's rate of decay. They were also specifically looking for iron in any form in the area because as soon as a sun creates iron, it begins it's death process.

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
We are made of star stuff.

No. Stars and people are made of elements. No star created us. That's told to children.

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: TarzanBeta

Current theory is that exploded stars provided iron & other heavy elements to open space prior to & during the creation of earth. Stars are the only provider of the pressure needed to create iron in space. When a star has grown hot enough & the interior pressure is great enough to create an iron core (fusion), it then explodes & implodes.

www.esa.int...

There are current research projects to find heavy metal in deep space in hopes that they find free iron that can be eventually traced back to it's exploded star. The current components of "space" are mostly gasses rather than heavy elements. Therefore, technically speaking, without a star's death (potentially the twin star to our sun), there wouldn't have been any iron & without iron, we wouldn't have the life forms we have today. So, yes, we are all made of star dust.

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: LittleBurgh

Current theory is that exploded stars provided iron & other heavy elements to open space prior to & during the creation of earth. Stars are the only provider of the pressure needed to create iron in space. When a star has grown hot enough & the interior pressure is great enough to create an iron core (fusion), it then explodes & implodes.

www.esa.int...

There are current research projects to find heavy metal in deep space in hopes that they find free iron that can be eventually traced back to it's exploded star. The current components of "space" are mostly gasses rather than heavy elements. Therefore, technically speaking, without a star's death (potentially the twin star to our sun), there wouldn't have been any iron & without iron, we wouldn't have the life forms we have today. So, yes, we are all made of star dust.

No.

Trace our make up to an exploded star. Notice the Sun is still here.

What's the closest nebula?

What's the closest nebula on the same trajectory away from the center of the Singularity?

The theory is so wrong that it defies reality for me how people even consider it. We are made up of elements that are found in different stars. Find a star that is producing all of the elements that we have and require for nutrition. Also, find evidence of it close by.

Try again.

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: LittleBurgh

You are correct. They were not collecting photons although there was apparatus to measure them & their rates. The collection plates were made of different metals, alloys and mineral salts. Each plate was designed to "capture" certain ions & elements ejected by the sun. The project was also hoping to capture evidence of the gasses in the ejections. Measurements of ejected gasses will help "date" the sun & perhaps, it's rate of decay. They were also specifically looking for iron in any form in the area because as soon as a sun creates iron, it begins it's death process.

Excellent information, thank you, you seem to know more than most so... I was wondering. Some of the collection plates appear to bebroken, is that because of the collision with the solar wind or shock from returning to earth...?

if you know, thanks in advance...

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Yes LITTLEBURGH,
Thank you for your information and adding to a great thread.

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 03:25 PM
link   

quatr.us...

No need to be snarky just because you don't agree with me. It's completely fine with me that you disagree but you didn't present any information for me to read or study to advance my education. If I'm incorrect, I am more than happy to admit it.

Current science clearly states that all elements heavier that iron are produced by dying stars. Stars begin their death processes when they've used all their hydrogen & oxygen fuel & begin the process called fusion where the temperature & pressure of that star is so great it can create iron. When iron is created in a star, it's going to die & go through the supernova then dwarf phases. During those phases, iron & all the heavy elements are ejected into open space and can be collected by gravitational pull to make planets & other bodies. The ejections (atoms & ions of elements as well as complex molecules) from stars can travel billions of miles before being collected by a gravitational force or they may just continue throughout deep space as free elements.

I did not say anything about our star (the sun) providing the heavy elements & iron to create the earth & life as we know it. Obviously, if our sun was creating iron, it would be on the verge of going supernova & we'd all be toast. I did, however, mention the theory that our sun might have been part of a binary system in which the second star may have already become a brown dwarf. There is a brown dwarf, one of many recently discovered, arxiv.org... , that may, and I emphasize may, have been part of our sun's binary system.

Cutting edge technology, astronomers & astrophysicists all have come to the same conclusions. We know for a fact (right now, it could all change next year) that the creation of iron in a star is the death sign and beginning of fusion & we know for fact (again, science is an evolving process), that dying stars become supernovas that eject the heavy metals into space. Earth & life on earth was created by the death of ancient, distant stars' supernovas' ejections which provided the atoms & elements pulled together by a gravitational force creating a tiny orb which had great enough mass & rotation to create a stronger gravitational field attracting even more atoms finally creating an entire planet.

Sorry for disputing your opinion. I'll be sure to check back for your other theories of which I may not be aware. Have a great evening!!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join