It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 07:30 PM
link   
The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.--Winston Churchill

Okay. Let's try and prove Sir Churchill wrong.

President Bush has introduced the No Child Left Behind act with a little problem in it, cited below.

Citation:
No Child Unrecruited

Does anyone know of other Bills he has introduced with covert motives in them? Also, try to answer why he is doing this (No Child Unrecruited) with evidence to corroborate your claims?

---Please, no blind rhetoric. ---

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 07:36 PM
link   
HAH!
I so want to steal that quote for my sig line.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 07:39 PM
link   
This is absolutely astounding - pulled some key quotes.

Sharon Shea-Keneally, principal of Mount Anthony Union High School in Bennington, Vermont, was shocked when she received a letter in May from military recruiters demanding a list of all her students, including names, addresses, and phone numbers.

...when Shea-Keneally insisted on an explanation, she was in for an even bigger surprise: The recruiters cited the No Child Left Behind Act, President Bush's sweeping new education law passed earlier this year. There, buried deep within the law's 670 pages, is a provision requiring public secondary schools to provide military recruiters not only with access to facilities, but also with contact information for every student -- or face a cutoff of all federal aid.

Can't answer your questions right now with evidence, and don't have links handy to other examples - but I know they're out there...

Anyone else? This is definitely a trend we need to monitor.

It all just keeps getting worse and worse....

[edit on 30-1-2005 by soficrow]

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Division Bell

President Bush has introduced the No Child Left Behind act with a little problem in it, cited below.

Does anyone know of other Bills he has introduced with covert motives in them? Also, try to answer why he is doing this (No Child Unrecruited) with evidence to corroborate your claims?

Glad to participate with no blind rhetoric. Or half-truths:

The new law does give students the right to withhold their records.

Also, Bush did not introduce the Bill:

Rep. David Vitter, a Republican from Louisiana who sponsored the new recruitment requirement, says such schools "demonstrated an anti-military attitude that I thought was offensive."

It's a much more productive discussion when all the facts are presented.

As to why this is being done, it may stem from the fact that certain universities recently banned military recruiters from their campuses on career day. They faced losing government funding as a result.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

Originally posted by The Division Bell

Glad to participate with no blind rhetoric. Or half-truths:

The new law does give students the right to withhold their records.

Also, Bush did not introduce the Bill:

Rep. David Vitter, a Republican from Louisiana who sponsored the new recruitment requirement, says such schools "demonstrated an anti-military attitude that I thought was offensive."

It's a much more productive discussion when all the facts are presented.

As to why this is being done, it may stem from the fact that certain universities recently banned military recruiters from their campuses on career day. They faced losing government funding as a result.

I hate recruiters. They prey on these kids. And thy have NO right to their information. Of course, the kids can deny them access, but how many know that. Probably not to many. Instead, they'll get harrasing phone calls every day, videos of the glamorous military life style. Pictures of the shiny dress blues, and all the promises in the world.

In reality, they'll get shoved into the next country we conquer, and have a pretty good chance of coming home in a body bag.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 01:58 AM
link   

I hate recruiters. They prey on these kids. And thy have NO right to their information. Of course, the kids can deny them access, but how many know that. Probably not to many. Instead, they'll get harrasing phone calls every day, videos of the glamorous military life style. Pictures of the shiny dress blues, and all the promises in the world.

In reality, they'll get shoved into the next country we conquer, and have a pretty good chance of coming home in a body bag.

Well put spliff

What I love about Ats is that I see a wide range of opinion on a wide range of subjects. It never fails to amaze me that comments by a member seem way out there on one subject and yet right on the money on another!
People surprise me everyday here, I love it!

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 02:22 AM
link   
So, let's see. you don't want a draft, I'm assuming.

You don't want recruiters, either.

So how is your nation proposing to defend itself?

Do you think that if you had no military, that no one would attack the US?

Tibet had no military. China owns them now.

Switzerland has been famous for its military since the Beginning of the renaissance. And that's how long it has been independent, too.

Just wondering.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 02:22 AM
link   

It never fails to amaze me that comments by a member seem way out there on one subject and yet right on the money on another!

Thanks!! I always tell people that it aint so bad being bi-polar. I just call it "moodiness"

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 02:48 AM
link   
I generally take it pretty easy on the military because I was a Marine, but in the recruitment department you're dead on.

I was the exception to the rule: my recruiter didn't have to say a single word to recruit me. I walked into his office and asked to be an infantryman. Later after I helped him convince another poolee (recruit) not to back out of his contract (you can do that- most people don't know it) here is what he said to me.

"I have to argue with these kids or trick them into enlisting and we can't even use them. I'd let ten of him go for another guy like you who wants to be here, because those are the people who make miracles happen for the Marine Corps."
Translation, "My job is to lie to kids who really don't have it in them to be Marines because we need cannon fodder."

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 03:01 AM
link   
My hats off to you. Your a bigger man than me. I never had that drive in me. However I was well aware of the recruiters office was, and didnt want him bugging me all the time. They were relentless. Call every day. Stop by the house. The thing is, I never asked them to. You can call me once, maybe twice. But when I say "no-thanks" stop it, ya know what I mean?

Now it sounds like the gov. has a strangle hold on the schools with that. Wonder why the drive to recruit so bad. What do you think they got planned???

PS--> not one college ever called. I guess I should played sports.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Ok...no blind rhetoric, jso...did Bush not sign it into law and has since promoted it rather heavy...? I'm not saying NCLB is bad...I'm just pointing that little joker out. (Side note: Vitter never saw that in Louisiana unless he was having a dream about it. You have no clue how many recruiters I saw in the "most liberal" pocket of Louisiana. Okay...maybe second to the N.O. area. And I know for damn sure they were treated with mucho respect)

All things in government, you will find, has a large amount of "lil' extras". It is something that noone can get rid of and this is a prime example. And this measure got passed the way most do...one side controls more than the other the good portions of it out weigh the bad. I admit, not all are passed that way...

new topics

top topics

join