It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We can perceive thoughts. So we are beyond something which can not be perceived.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Hi Ats,

what is your take on this question: what are thoughts and how are we able to perceive them?
I have a simple theory: the fact that we can perceive thoughts is evidence that we (as subject) are much more subtle than thoughts.
Thoughts are so subtle that they can not be perceived in an objective way. Only the effects of a thought can be measured and will be measured more and more.
So if a thought can not be objectivly perceived that means that the subject (I) which can perceive a thought is even more subtle.

So if we are able to perceive the most subtle thing-> this means that what we are is beyond, before and above that. I would say, it is proof that consciousness is non-physical as it integrates non physical without being part of it.

I know this is a short argument for a deep thought, but still my intuition says that it IS that simple.

Sometimes the obvious is hidden in plain sight.

What do you think? What are thoughts, images and feelings and why are we able to perceive them in such a subtle way while no machine is able to...Of course you might say: one day machines can measure it. But what does that mean to you?

edit on 10-2-2017 by Synchronicity11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 01:31 PM
link   

what are thoughts and how are we able to perceive them?

I view thoughts much like a blank painting canvas.

Everyone starts out the same.Blank.

Through external stimuli information gets added.

As new information is added the canvas changes.

This process never ends.

So in my perception.

In a world devoid of external stimuli would thoughts be our own,

Haven't quite figured out just what my thoughts would be like in that respect.

Which makes me ponder this question.

Is anyone truly an individual.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   
We are no different than the fish in the fish tank.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Or we feel the neurotransmitters. We could also say the brain has this control mechanism to confirm that the information went from one neuron to another.
Or we are able to create a virtual observer/observation and maybe even identify ourselves with the electricity between synapses.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Synchronicity11

We do not make thoughts ... we receive them
We are thought beings

Thought can be put into 2 types

1 Value
2 Non value

As thought beings we have free choice between the two types

So what are thoughts of value:-
They are that which enables us to fulfill our purpose for being on Earth

Non Value thoughts being that which leads us away from our purpose

I will leave it at that for now

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Machines do observe and objectively so, but they also are programmed by perception of the inventor, subjective criteria built into the process. All we perceive is subjected to our own perspective and clouded by our own experience. Many see the same picture but describe it entirely different based on their own position, density, distance and spiritual capabilities.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Thought is the Word / Logos, who is the image or body of Father, and Father is a spirit who translates the Spirit.

Father is within the Spirit and Yeshua is within Father, and we are within Yeshua.

We are thoughts that were translated from the Spirit and given the breath of the Spirit (will) so that we would become living-thoughts / living-souls.

The way to think about it is that physical reality (made up of quanta) are to God as mental images (made up of qualia) are to us. (Quanta and qualia are both Yeshua.)

"Forces" are the determined will of spirits, which all originate from the Spirit, as breathed out, or measured out, by Father.

Think about it like the words of your post are the image of your measurement of your will to post. See also: Disassembly of a soul

A better question, perhaps, is what is a mind? It seems to be a combination of the 3, I think.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   
its a very deep subject thats for sure and its one that not many people feel comfortable wading or diving into.

i think most people dont want to put how they operate under the microscope like that....it sorta reveals some scary or unsettling things about the nature of existence, consciousness and its fragility. i personally think its not good to obsess over stuff like this but its important to delve into it from time to time and revisit as necessary.

Freud would have said its the superego....and i think his model of consciousness and personality have some real practical uses in understanding the psyche and how we work. ID, ego, superego. The superego is the "watcher"....almost like a thirdparty....you watch yourself in the world acting and doing things. It is this ability that allows us to reflect on ourselves and realize maybe there are things that need changing. i personally think not many people allow themselves to experience that "birds eye view" on themselves very often.....and honestly...maybe its a good thing. Sometimes i think being TOO super ego is more of a curse than a blessing. It doesnt allow you to be in the moment as much and thats what living and what life is really supposed to be about. We are supposed to be actors.

I love what Jesus said about the children. He said many things about them and all of those things were very profound. He said that unless we become like little children we will never enter the kingdom of heaven. He also said that the angels of the children do always behold the face of the father. And again he said, 'of such are the kingdom of heaven".

so what is so desirable about how children are that we should strive to return to that?

i think its the living in the moment. The purity and rawness of their living in the moment experience. Everything is new, everything is live....everything is pure, raw, superlative, imminently precious and fantastic. The superego experience takes away from that.

however, like i said, it has its uses....it has value....but we shouldnt dwell in it long.

just my 2

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   

That's because everything we perceive really IS that simple. Everything comes from within not without.

Out there, is a collective perception. Once you let go of that collective view, you can see between the lines.

Science says there is a light within that can be measured inside each of us. Everything is light before it's transformed into the perceived physical.

edit on 10-2-2017 by LuXTeN because: typing

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Great question and great insight. Could this be another way of saying the same thing?

The one consciousness thinks. Every living thing is a radio receiver picking up on the one transmitters thoughts. Depending on what kind of living thing you are determines what thought capacity you can maintain,

Through mediation you can lower your brains vibrations and expand on the thoughts you normally would be able to perceive.

And yes i do think if you reverse engineer the body/brain into a machine it could be possible for it to receive transmissions from the one consciousness as well. Who knows how long that would take though?

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Yes, consciousness is our clue that there is "more" than scientific materialism can currently imagine.

This 'consciousness' that has no weight or mass, yet is responsible for all of the accomplishments of mankind through the ages.

A biochemical happenstance? No way.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 04:03 AM
link   
a reply to: The GUT

yes. The fact and phenomenon of conscious existence is to enormous to be just demystified as a chemical or physical byproduct.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 05:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Synchronicity11
What do you think? What are thoughts, images and feelings and why are we able to perceive them

No matter what we perceive, from dreams and thoughts and imaginary unicorns to planet Earth and oceans and oneself and galaxies and photons...
Everything, upon sufficiently close observation, is composed of the same thing, information waves, Mindstuff!
Some is perceived as photons, some as thought (feelings are thoughts) some as rocks...

We are all unique Conscious Perspectives (Souls) that perceive/reflect the One (unchanging, all inclusive) Universe, every unique moment of Universal existence!
There is One Universal Consciousness peeking from all 'eyes/Souls'!
Thus, all is Known.
One Thought, infinite Perspectives of It! *__-

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   
www.ted.com...-742271
interesting ted talk about that topic.

I am not quite dáccord with the theory that consciousness is determined by the ability to integrate information.

In my eyes you can not really know if a process that integrates and processes information is self-aware.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

what are thoughts and how are we able to perceive them?

I view thoughts much like a blank painting canvas.

Everyone starts out the same.Blank.

Through external stimuli information gets added.

As new information is added the canvas changes.

This process never ends.

So in my perception.

In a world devoid of external stimuli would thoughts be our own,

Haven't quite figured out just what my thoughts would be like in that respect.

Which makes me ponder this question.

Is anyone truly an individual.

Nice perspective on thoughts.

I would add that , without the external stimuli, we become truly creative.

Much has been written and discussed about thoughts (where they come from and who owns them , etc) but little is being discussed about the benefit of learning to control thoughts. Thought Control has been a magician's primer for centuries and yet gets pooh poohed on ATS.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 04:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: crowdedskies
Much has been written and discussed about thoughts (where they come from and who owns them , etc) but little is being discussed about the benefit of learning to control thoughts. Thought Control has been a magician's primer for centuries and yet gets pooh poohed on ATS.

What would be the point of controlling thought? If I could control thought I would get thought to provide me with next weeks lottery numbers lol.

There is nothing 'in there' that can control thoughts. There is no one thinking - there are just thoughts appearing. The thing is, thinking is assumed to have a thinker - and this in turn makes believe that there is a 'someone' in there that can control.
There isn't anyone 'in there'!!
Thoughts will not be troublesome when the illusion of a separate self has lifted. Nothing matters when no one minds!!

Can anyone honestly say what thought will appear next, before it appears? Thoughts just appear, they appear and are known at the same time and then can be followed by another thought which claims - 'I thought it'. There is no 'I' that thinks - there are just thoughts appearing and disappearing.

edit on 19-2-2017 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 06:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

There is no 'I' that thinks - there are just thoughts appearing and disappearing.

We are receivers of thought ...
We do not make the thoughts we receive
What we have is choice in the thoughts we follow

Most thoughts are part of a pattern ... Like a string of beads ... Pick up one bead and the others follow.
For example - A feeling of resentment against another can lead to ... hatred ... malice, if not checked

Most people tend to "Run" with base emotions ... Only by observing such thoughts and their affect on self and others ... Can we change such thoughts
If you justify "Negative" thoughts ... they return and the pattern plays out again though the details and circumstances change ...

Yet there is such a thing as Inspiration
Inspiration leads to new "Horizons" beyond old patterns of thought
Every Human Being has the potential to be inspired

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 06:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: artistpoet
We are receivers of thought ...
We do not make the thoughts we receive
What we have is choice in the thoughts we follow

No one receives thought.
There is no one 'in there' so there is no choice.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 06:46 AM
link   

No one receives thought. There is no one 'in there' so there is no choice.

If so then "no one" has used their thoughts to reply to me

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: artistpoet

No one receives thought. There is no one 'in there' so there is no choice.

If so then "no one" has used their thoughts to reply to me

Thoughts appear, just like this text is appearing. Everything is appearing but not to anyone.
The 'someone' who things appear to is an illusion - it does not exist.
There isn't really any things either - there is only ever what is appearing to happen.
edit on 19-2-2017 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join