It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump To Honor One China Policy - phone conversation with Chinese leader Xi Jinping

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Via CNN

US President Donald Trump and Chinese leader Xi Jinping spoke by phone Thursday evening, according to the White House. In the call, the first since Trump took office, the two leaders discussed "numerous topics," and Trump committed to honoring the "One China" policy at Xi's request.

The call was described as "extremely cordial," and the readout released by the White House said "representatives of the United States and China will engage in discussions and negotiations on various issues of mutual interest."
The two leaders also extended invitations to meet in their respective countries.
Developing story - more to come

Is Trump backing down on handing it to China? Remember, they've been "winning" for a long time now.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Tempter

First, it is CNN so probably not true.

Second, I don't agree with the Chinese Imperialism, however, I am not willing to get in a nuclear war on principle.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 10:49 PM
link   

This is good news, nice one Trump. It is only through discussion that we can come to understanding. To co-exist peacefully.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 10:52 PM
link   

What is the source for the claim by CNN?

If someone is leaking presidential ocnversations - that is a treason.

And someone leaked the strike information to Al-Qaeda.

There are really, really troubling security issues in the vicinity of White House. Who ever they catch - should be tried for treason. By a military court.
edit on 9-2-2017 by deckdel because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: WorShip

aka, once again, China does as China wishes.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

So what do you want us to do?

Launch nukes at them or write a strongly worded letter scolding them?

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 11:06 PM
link   
If Trump did in fact agree to honor this "view" then that kind of puts us in a corner, doesn't it? He doesn't have many options.

1) Become a betrayer of his word. Do as Trump wishes against his pledge to honor it. Obviously this option is a political nightmare.

2) Honor his word. If he does this how does that further our interests in the region? Doesn't it make China stronger? Is that our goal now?

The thing is, this is very much un-businesslike of Trump. I mean, why give away a chip like that? How does that help?

What's that you say? Something was gained in a deal? Maybe so, but what?

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 11:43 PM
link   

This vid report is one of the better takes on all things China and US and if and when war might or wont happen

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I think the take away here is respect.

In the beginning, China was demanding/threatening America/Trump honor the One China policy

"We urge the relevant parties in the US to abide by the commitment to the one-China policy" and "to handle Taiwan-related issues with caution and care to avoid unnecessarily interfering with the overall situation of Sino-US relations,"

It appears China has now asked for America to back One China

'President Trump agreed, at the request of President Xi, to honor our 'one China' policy,' the statement said.

I dont know, thats how I read it... keeping in mind the media is a total crock of lies!

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 12:32 AM
link   
It was Nixon who set the United States on this path of acknowledging "One China", and accepting that existing commitment was the right thing to do, geopolitically. Better than rocking the boat.
It may be desirable to resist new encroachments from China, but this principle is not a new encroachment.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I'm glad that President Trump didn't "rock the boat" with U.S.-China relations. He bashed China constantly in his campaign speeches. I think Trump is maturing into the Presidency nicely.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 01:38 AM
link   
IF Trump is a smart dealer then he will keep China happy while wooing Russia behind their back. If America goes to war with China at this very moment Russia will currently stand with them and against us. So not really that good of an idea.

However if Trump has the smarts and can maintain that little bromance he and Putin had during election time, we might see a shift of the power axis toward the mutual favour of the USA and Russia.

Mt Trump, you really need to start doing something positive about the relationship with Russia. Let Putin have Crimea - the people who live there are happy enough with their new rulers. Abandon Ukraine - it is nothing more than a toxic turd souring the relationships of the entire European region.

Do the above, lose nothing material to the USA and make Putin happy and more likely to deal with us.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 04:40 AM
link   

This is one subject I would actually count on RT to report, and they haven't.

Until there is actual confirmation from DC I would treat this as typical CNN...aka fake news.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 04:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

Why did Trump make it an issue in the first place?

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 04:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: windword

Why did Trump make it an issue in the first place?

NO, first we have to establish it as REAL news, not FAKE. cnn does have a tendency to exaggerate news to the point of being fake.

Once it is established as REAL news, we can carry on a discussion of the motives, which I would gladly engage in.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Just ignore them and deal with Taiwan like a regular country.

China need to get over it. Taiwan is not theres anymore than the USA still belongs to the UK.

China sont get into a war they cant win over that. And if they did it wont be nuclear as they have a no strike first policy.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 05:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

I got this news alert on my phone about 6 hours ago from the NY Times. I don't give a crap about your bias toward CNN. Do your own homework!

By the way, Jake Tapper rocks it!

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 05:21 AM
link   
a reply to: deckdel

What is the source for the claim by CNN?

The White House.

If someone is leaking presidential ocnversations - that is a treason.

Since when is it treason to be Press Secretary?

And someone leaked the strike information to Al-Qaeda.

What is the source for that claim?] I thought it was just another case of Osprey failure.

There are really, really troubling security issues in the vicinity of White House. Who ever they catch - should be tried for treason. By a military court.

Sorry, your military coup is not going to happen, much as some of us would like to see Kellyanne Conway face charges.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 05:23 AM
link   
a reply to: windword

I got this news alert on my phone about 6 hours ago from the NY Times.

Oh my apologies, I missed the press conference regarding the call to China.

By the way, Jake Tapper rocks it!

I'm sure he does, whoever he is.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 07:00 AM
link   
I really feel for the people in Taiwan who want to be viewed as independent. When even children are treated poorly by society because of the country they claim... It's sad, to me anyways.

16 year old star bullied in regards to ONE CHINA POLICY

Since the broadcast, backlash from Tzuyu’s actions have piled on with both Chinese media and netizens criticizing the younger Taiwanese K-Pop singer. TWICE’s activities, including endorsements and scheduled appearance, were cancelled and/or suspended as well as broadcasting station BTV among others to ban the girl group from ever appearing. The backlash continued with Chinese netizens boycotting JYP Entertainment as a whole while trending #boycottJYP on Weibo (with over 68 million hits as of January 14th according to TV Report) and various Chinese media taking down anything in regards to TWICE on their platforms. The Tzuyu scandal has also affected other JYP Entertainment artists who carry out activities in China as well including Nichkhun‘s solo activities and 2PM‘s promotions. Despite commenting that Tzuyu has no political agenda, JYP Entertainment was spotted having allegedly changed Tzuyu’s official profile which went from “Nationality: Taiwan” to “Birthplace: Taiwan” and finally “Birthplace: China Taiwan” with the latter written in Chinese.

So it was so bad, that it literally affected her career, and even those who were just signed to the same company.

I can't really judge the presidents support on this outside of my own feelings. I don't know the benefit of shoving the Taiwanese under the rug, I can't see it from China's side.

-Alee

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join