It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Blame North American Obesity On Last Ice Age (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 06:26 PM
link   

msnbc.msn.com
It's hard to imagine that humans would have survived generations of frigid climate without some adaptation giving them a way to cope. Scientists have in fact postulated a "thrifty genotype" that some humans acquired 30,000 or so years ago during their migration from Asia, across a land bridge at what's now the Bering Strait, to North America. These genes may have given cold warriors an ability to store fat and metabolize it sparingly, a handy trait for the dark, cold months when food is scarce.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Apparently, because of the last ice age, out 'thrifty' gene makes us get fat; not because we're lazy and spoiled..

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Well....
IMHO, the reasons for the American "obesity" claims reach far and wide, but to me, those "thrifty genotypes" amount to people simply being "thrifty" and going to places like McDonlad's, Wendy's, BurgerKing, etc., and taking advantage of those "thrifty" $1 value buys: Double Cheesburger for a $1, Chicken Sandwich for $1, etc., and don't forget that side order of fries, too.

Eat right, execise regularly, and gentics aside, we'll all be ok.

I think this 'scientific' theory is a bit too much when trying to explain obesity, but thats my opinion anyhow. Its all relative.

seekerof

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Genes? Yeah sure.

Do you know how many calories are in the average Krispy Kreme donut?

new topics

join