It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exclusive: In call with Putin, Trump denounced Obama-era nuclear arms treaty - sources

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 05:02 PM
link   
So we have some interesting information as to the conversation Putin and Trump had via phone.

Trump then told Putin the treaty was one of several bad deals negotiated by the Obama administration, saying that New START favored Russia. Trump also talked about his own popularity, the sources said.

In his first call as president with Russian leader Vladimir Putin, Donald Trump denounced a treaty that caps U.S. and Russian deployment of nuclear warheads as a bad deal for the United States, according to two U.S. officials and one former U.S. official with knowledge of the call.

When Putin raised the possibility of extending the 2010 treaty, known as New START, Trump paused to ask his aides in an aside what the treaty was, these sources said.

Reuters

It should be noted the Whitehouse denies Trump didn't know of the treaty but was rather asking for advice. This still posses and interesting talking point on the conversation.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker
Same old unnamed sources. Validity questionable.

according to two U.S. officials and one former U.S. official with knowledge of the call.

I wonder why Reuters felt the need to hide their sources. Could it be because they're providing classified information?

Two of the people who described the conversation were briefed by current administration officials who read detailed notes taken during the call. One of the two was shown portions of the notes. A third source was also briefed on the call. Reuters has not reviewed the notes taken of the call, which are classified.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Noncents

Excellent point to bring up, I put this in breaking news with no spin so people can look at this for themselves, and what you added is extremely valid.

I would also like to point out the possibility that this could have been purposefully leaked. It could send a message they could easily deny but still have an impact with the initial story.
edit on 9-2-2017 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 06:09 PM
link   
The MSM isn`t even credible with named sources so unnamed sources makes them about as credible as before it`s news.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

According to the article, Presidents usually have extensive briefings prior to phoning foreign leaders. Trump did not have these briefings. The article said it was unknown if Flynn had spoken to him, but even if he had, the normal briefings are more than simply speaking to an advisor.

Trump, as during the campaign, like to just "go with his gut."

Fair question here. If you take Trump's name out of it and pretend this was Obama or some other President, what would you think about it?

I think it is unprofessional and risky. I don't trust Trump so I guess my bias is evident but if it had been Obama, I would have wondered what he was playing at. This is scary. You don't phone Putin, who is capable of playing 3D chess, without your A game fully on and your facts straight.

top topics

join