It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The astounding athletic power of quadcopters | Raffaello D'Andrea

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I found this video on Youtube and find the technology pretty amazing. The things that this particular one can do are based on algorithms which your typical "average" quad cannot do. and you might be pretty surprised. It is also a bit scary. Check it out if this sort of thing interests you.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: iTruthSeeker

Amazing ! Thanks for posting ..

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Where were all theses things when I was young?
On a serious note, these things are taking flight everywhere. It's todays hoola hoop.

Nice catch.

VF

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   

The part where he cuts two of the rotor blades was pretty cool. I've got a couple quads and they are a ton of fun!

Thanks for posting. Now to finish watching the video.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Anytime fellas.
I am in the process of piecing together a racing quad so I am looking forward to getting my feet wet in the hobby.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: VenatiusFortunatus
Where were all theses things when I was young?
On a serious note, these things are taking flight everywhere. It's todays hoola hoop.

Nice catch.

VF

Microcontrollers were simply not fast enough to manage the calculations needed to keep a quadrocopter stable. Aerodynamic experts knew that a quadrocopter was more fault tolerant, but more flight unstable. Those kind of fly-by-wire systems really needed fast processing with Gigahertz clock speeds rather than the 1Mhz that many processors had at the time. There weren't MEMS (micro electronmechanical systems) either. These are mechanical sensors that are designed and etched onto the silicon chips. Everything from gyroscopes to mechanical gears and magnetometers.

Back in the 2000's, DARPA sponsored research into making flying machines the weight of a few hundred grams. The tech companies wondered what they expected - sparrows with backpacks?

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Amazing demo. I have been flying quads for a little under a year now (cheap ones). They are fun.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: ugmold
Amazing demo. I have been flying quads for a little under a year now (cheap ones). They are fun.

I bet they are. Fpv looks like some bada$$ fun. And they double as a recon tool for shtf.

new topics

top topics

join