It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mother taken into custody after decades in U.S.; 7 arrested in Phoenix protest

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis

That was the law then - she was complying. In my opinion, what would be human is to take the time to inform people of their changed legal status, explain what comes next - and give them time to prepare

How can you not know if you're here legally or not? Everyone knew what was coming a year and a half before Trump won. They should have started preparing then instead of listening to the mainstream media that told them Trump had no chance of winning.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

Lets just say it would be rather stupid to assume all Trump supporters are "white nationalists, or white supremacists, or racists, or bigots, or low IQ".

That being said i think Trump simply says what a significant percentage wish to hear.

Obviously the US is still rather ambivalent toward the guy hence the discord taking place over some of the decisions being implemented.

Probably worth keeping in mind that once we stereotype a particular group we no longer need to consider information about each individual member of the group, and that can be dangerous, never mind borderline racist.
edit on 9-2-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Lets just say it would be rather stupid to assume all Trump supporters are "white nationalists, or white supremacists, or racists, or bigots, or low IQ".

That being said i think Trump simply says what a significant percentage wish to hear.

Obviously the US is still rather ambivalent toward the guy hence the discord taking place over some of the dissensions being implemented.

Probably worth keeping in mind that once we stereotype a particular group we no longer need to consider information about each individual member of the group, and that can be dangerous, never mind borderline racist.

Fair enough. Thanks. As far as stereotyping though, that's been going on for as long as I've been alive and I'm 38. The boat sailed away decades ago.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

Some of us are just watching how much you all are enjoying this. You must be a real hoot at lynchings. In other countries I hear they cut off hands if you steal something. Tough luck you guys

Where was that comment at for the last eight years of people trying to lynch fat cat ceos,bankers,gun owners, et. al.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   

This is true also.

I'm 41 and can remember shows on TV back in the 80s such as "Till Death do Us Part" that would be considered extremely racist in this day of age. Yet they were shown on TV for all to see by the BBC no less.

Fact is through the world is just to PC for its own good sometimes.

But where things like mass deportation of people are concerned we just need to be careful about what we say, certainly something Trump should consider.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   

a reply to: Grambler

What I'm saying - very clearly - is that if this is what our country is going to do, there is a right way and a wrong way to do it

Legally - she might have recourse. The United States of America gave her permission to stay - and no direct warning, instructions or time to prepare for what comes next

She was asked to voluntarily leave. She did not. Is their eveidence she won her appeal, I didn't see that. If she won her appeal, then yes, she should be allowed to stay.

But if not, she had 4 years when she was sentenced to voluntarily leave. She did not. So now she is being forced to leave.

I my landlord evicts me, I have a month or two to get my stiff out and leave. If I don't the sheriff will kick me out. I don't get to scream how ham handed the sheriff is, I knew that I was supposed to leave.

And so what, because Obama refused to enforce the law for 8 years and let these illegals stay, now if we enforce the law that had been there the entire 8 years and longer, we are being cruel.

Well what a catch 22 then! Where were you shouting at the Obama administration and prior ones for not enforcing the law? You were cool with that. But now that someone wants to enforce it, THEY are the immoral ones, because the past admins let them get away with it for so long.

I think about this as people first - citizens second. She broke the law and she was held for six months. You understand what I'm saying - the felony is accounted for. She was permitted to stay while she appealed her deportation. The law literally just changed, and people want to tear her from her family and throw her out so that she can pay for a crime she's already paid for

The Phoenix mother was detained for months and eventually ordered to be sent back to Mexico. But for the subsequent years, after she appealed her voluntary deportation, García de Rayos was allowed to remain in the United States, as long as she checked in once a year, and then every six months.

That was the law then - she was complying. In my opinion, what would be human is to take the time to inform people of their changed legal status, explain what comes next - and give them time to prepare

It would also be humane to inform someone you are about to steal their identity, let them no how much debt and grief they will incur because of your crime, and give them time to prepare for it.

But I guess the victims of ID theft just have to deal with it, right?

This woman was told for 4 YEARS!!!!! that she had to voluntarily deport. She did not, and so she is forced to leave. What good when of talking to her had done.

If they had given her time as you suggest, and the cops would have shown up and told her they were taking her away in 6 months, do you really think she wouldn't have just disappeared? She had 4 years to leave and didn't so why would she have complied with the new timeframe she was given?

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 04:37 PM
link   

How can you not know if you're here legally or not? Everyone knew what was coming a year and a half before Trump won. They should have started preparing then instead of listening to the mainstream media that told them Trump had no chance of winning.

Of course she knew - so did the authorities

How can you not understand that she has been permitted to stay an appeal her deportation - and that she's been checking in regularly with the authorities. Trump just got elected. People need to get their affairs worked out. That would be the civilized way to handle this - to allow some lead time

Trump handles things in such a way as to cause the maximum amount of chaos and disruption - and possibly to provoke civil unrest

But, hey - that's just a theory

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I am not understanding this, her husband is a US citizen...? When I married a man with a student visa twenty years ago, he became a citizen really easy...and remained one even after our divorce.
Why didn't this woman and her husband just do the paper work and why would immigration keep having her check in as an illegal citizen instead of steering her as someone married to a citizen to becoming a citizen...?
Maybe the process of becoming a citizen from marriage has changed in twenty years..? I think the office she was checking in with could of helped her way before any of this.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: peppycat

I am not understanding this, her husband is a US citizen...? When I married a man with a student visa twenty years ago, he became a citizen really easy...and remained one even after our divorce.
Why didn't this woman and her husband just do the paper work and why would immigration keep having her check in as an illegal citizen instead of steering her as someone married to a citizen to becoming a citizen...?
Maybe the process of becoming a citizen from marriage has changed in twenty years..? I think the office she was checking in with could of helped her way before any of this.

No, it clearly states he is an illegal too.

He must not have committed a felony, so they left him stay.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 04:51 PM
link   

So I read through the first page then the last, and basically, I didnt see anyone say anything about the truth about this matter. SO, as a man married to a immigrant, and a person who a child of a legal immigrant, let me explain a few things. So first things first. She came in illegally at 14. and was arrested 8 years ago in a work place raid. This issue is that even though she has a husband and children basically for her to legally come, she has to leave the country, stay out of country for 10 years, then reapply for legal access after the fact, which because she is from mexico, it will take 2-5 years basically. So at the earliest, she is looking to get back into the country legally in 12 years. This is why she is fighting this. Honestly as an American, would you want to take your kids to Mexico to live? I sure as hell wouldn't so this means the family will be broken for this amount of time. Now there is the excemption of the dream act, that obama signed, HOWEVER, because she was arrested in a raid(it doesnt say if she was working under the table, or had stolen credentials) that arrest disqualified her from being a Dreamer. That's why she is fighting it. If she can get the arrest removed, in all likelihood she could legally stay in the country. HOWEVER irregardless of her having children or a husband, the ONLY way for her to legally do so is through Obama's dream act, or staying in Mexico for 12 years. I hope she wins her case with the conviction. If she can get that tossed, she can stay legally. Otherwise, its going to suck to be her family.

Now before anyone goes calling me a snowflake or liberal. BEAR IN MIND, I am a Nationalist Constitutionalist, NOT a Democrat or Republican. I lean Moderate Republican basically, and while I hate Trump as a person, I absolutely LOVE his policies he is trying to implement. All that said, I know how the system works, and I know how difficult it can be. Due to that, I can understand what she is trying to do, and why she is doing it.

Camain

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: peppycat

Your husband was here Legally, he entered the country legally, and you changed his status legally from a student to a spouse, all legally. He would have gotten his permenent resident card, and if no issues a green card fairly quickly. However, if you botch it up, at any point during the process. It basically gets totally fubared and you have to start from scratch. I'm sure your aware USCIS bases immigration based on country of origin. not spouse gets processed first, then fiance, then all the rest. I think the backlog from mexico was 10 years. According to the article the husband sounds like a Dreamer, not a citizen. So in there case, she is basically looking at 20 years to get back in, 12 if he can get his citizenship before hand though.

Camain

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: camain

A few things.

Her husband is also an illegal.

You said you didn't know what she was arrested for, but it says she was arrested on a Class 6 felony, criminal impersonation. She stole someones ID.

She pled guilty. Her appeal was appealing the punishment, which was voluntarily deporting. ICE was letting her check in every 6 months because Obama is a tool that refused to enforce the law, which clearly states that if an illegal commits a felony, they are deported.

Because the conviction will remain as she is only appealing the sentence, she has no legal recourse to remain.

I feel bad for the family, but she committed a felony and had her sentence put off for four years. I feel worse for the person she VICTIMIZED by stealing her identity.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Thanks, i misread the excerpt from the article.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: camain

Thank you for the reply, i am wondering if this Dreamer status was really a good thing or just giving false hope.
Citizens born here have enough trouble with a felony in their back round...i am pretty sure you can't get that expunged from your record, just lowered to a misdameaner.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Some of us are just watching how much you all are enjoying this. You must be a real hoot at lynchings. In other countries I hear they cut off hands if you steal something. Tough luck you guys

Say whatever you wish, but those methods sure do look good when you look at the basement levels of recidivism they produce.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   

How can you not understand that she has been permitted to stay an appeal her deportation -

Appeal denied, exit stage south.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: bender151

You mean she had decades to become legal? Cry me a river.

Dude you nation was founderd on illegalities have you put that right yet..

Cry me an ocean..

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 05:24 PM
link   
The time of illegals being treated better than law-abiding American citizens has officially ended.

Drain the sanctuary cities!

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: purplemer

originally posted by: bender151

You mean she had decades to become legal? Cry me a river.

Cry me an ocean..

Poor argument.

Every nation in existence at this point used violence at some point to come into existence.

So should it be that no nation has the right to enforce laws?

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: purplemer

Cry me an ocean..

...and you wonder why so many of us are so staunch about defending our borders? We know what happened to the British and the indans in this country when our illegal alien ancestors and their "Screw King George and his damn laws" attitude came into North America and, honestly, we have zero interest in watching it happen to us.
edit on 9-2-2017 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join