It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Andreas Mogensen captures gigantic lightning from the ISS and Sprite Video

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Mystery red sprites and blue jets are spotted in space: Astronaut captures best ever images of the strange sights from the ISS

Mystery red sprites and blue jets are spotted in space: Astronaut captures best ever images of the strange sights from the ISS
www.dailymail.co.uk...

For years, their existence has been debated - elusive electrical discharges in the upper atmosphere that sport names such as red sprites, blue jets, pixies and elves.

But an astronaut has confirmed the displays do exist, capturing stunning footage of them from the International Space Station.

New findings have been published which suggest that the electrical discharges may unsettle the chemistry of the stratosphere, with possible implications for the Earth's radiation balance.

Denmark's National Space Institute has now published the results, which include a video recorded by Mr Mogensen as he flew over the Bay of Bengal at 28,800 km/h.

Some of the most notable findings suggest that the discharges appear to play a crucial role in the exchange of gases between the troposphere
and the stratosphere.

Until now, researchers thought that sprites were red because of nitrogen interacting with electricity in the upper atmosphere.

But the new study suggests that sprites actually release a comparably large amount of serveral oxides of nitrogen in the upper atmosphere.

Now THIS is pretty cool. I have always been amazed on the beauty of lightning storms, both from ground level and space video footage viewing.

Evening more interesting is this video about sprites and their many beautiful formations!

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Ahh this is why I'm still here...great post!

I love watching lightening even though it frightens the hell out of me and you sure wouldn't get me chasing it in a plane in a hurry. The 2nd video has some stunning stills and slowed down images which are amazing but still scary
Would never have thought there would be such electrical discharges in space though!

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

I don't like this, who knows what's gonna come out from that portal. This is bad, really bad.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Here are two frames from the video that show better these phenomena.
(click for full size)

We have so much to learn yet.

edit on 9/2/2017 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

The bottom pic you posted looks like a happy purple snail.

Snail lightning god!

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 03:51 PM
link   
We've come so far as a species, and yet, we understand so little.
I stand in awe of such great displays of power.

Su much yet to learn.

VF

join