It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Putin decriminalizes domestic abuse? Russian paper tells women to embrace their bruises?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 05:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: redhorse

This is a degenerate law, and if you justify it, you are a degenerate as well. Period. Done. It's like the world is being run by toddlers with crowds of toddlers supporting them.

Attacking the messenger and name calling is a mere distraction to the fact that Russia has NOT given a free pass to violence.

There ARE consequences still. And a woman in a truly violent relationship will get hit more than once in a year. I know, I've seen my own dear sister live through it. Therefore these men will still be criminals. And so they ought to be.

I've also seen girls lie about domestic abuse as an easy way to dump guys. I've also seen them deliberately provoke a guy to the point where he does do something stupid. Then the relationship ends and he goes to jail. But nobody ever talks about provocation now do they? It's always the guy's fault in your mind, isn't it.
edit on 9-2-2017 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

Putin didn't do much, really. The prior law specified a maximum sentence of 2 years for domestic abuse which did not result in serious injury or death. What Putin just signed actually specifies a set punishment of 15 days in jail, a 30,000 Ruble fine, or 120 hours of community service/labor. That's not "decriminalizing" anything, nor did the law change penalties for abuse which causes injury or death.

I don't know if Russia's member states/subjects/whatever they call them have their own laws like the US has, so I can't really opine on this one much. In the US the federal laws about domestic abuse (which did not exist on the federal level until 1994) specify maximum sentencing and, for what it is worth, US federal domestic violence laws are also based on how bad the bodily harm done is (as well as if a weapon was used)...
www.criminaldefenselawyer.com...

I'll also throw this one out for thought... which is worse, 15 days in a Russian gulag or 5 years in a US minimum security prison? I don't know the answer to that, but based on past readings of Russian gulags... ssssssss I bet those are a painful 15 days.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: markosity1973

As you can see, if someone hits a woman in Russia, there are still legal consequences - up to 15 days in jail for that little bruise they might cause.

Way to attempt to normalize/trivialize domestic violence. Divorcee or wife beater?

Wrong and wrong again.

I have also helped many female friends through domestic abuse and to leave their relationships.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I agree. Details mean everything, of which some have completely overlooked in regards to the article at hand.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join