It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extremism seems to be the new normal for some.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 09:18 AM
link   
So I just got done watching an interesting video on The Rebels youtube page. I've been catching some of their video's lately and this last one from Ezra was pretty good, and I think shows both the hypocrisy and the dangerous road that some political factions are going down.

Now, right off the bat, the only issue I have with this video is that he referred to the groups as liberal, as opposed to extremists(liberals). These latest riots and assaults that have been taking place are not a representation of the entire liberal spectrum, simply the actions of those at the extreme edge of it.

But I do think that the issue we have here is that what was once a small group of extremist, vocal but not physical, has been rapidly expanding out and garnering the support of those closest on the spectrum to their extremist views. As the group expands, converting more people, and becoming increasingly violent. It is becoming more and more of an immediate issue that should be dealt with, in some way. I think the biggest issue we face with it is the general liberal leanings of most of the media, they may not outright support(verbalize it) the extremists actions and violence, but given their sympathetic views being on the left end of the spectrum, they may be reluctant to throw "their own" under the bus.

Extremism is bad in just about any form, whether it be political ideology, religious beliefs or even something as mundane as pacman:

your goof for the day,

I think Ezra did a great job in this video, and it would seem that Canada is facing many of the same issues we are facing with regard to this and the issues with their media. I hope you guys like the video.

-----------------------------------------------------
Got to try right???

So this thread is obviously not in the mudpit, it isn't about DT and really has no need to reference him in order to discuss the topic.
edit on 9-2-2017 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-2-2017 by MisterSpock because: PACMANNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

Now, right off the bat, the only issue I have with this video is that he referred to the groups as liberal, as opposed to extremists(liberals). These latest riots and assaults that have been taking place are not a representation of the entire liberal spectrum, simply the actions of those at the extreme edge of it.
I am not sure you can use just the left violent actors on YT .If you look at the liberal left in the senate with the confirmation hearings you could add most of them as well . True that they haven't got into a full physical brawl but they are sounding quite extreme and it aint pretty to watch .

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Love H3H3 (Ethan & Hila) btw!

but as for your psychological point on whether its becoming a norm... I think there is three deciding factors to why it is being perceived as a norm (even though its not!)

1. the media has fought tooth and nail spreading lies about the right and trump or so no ones triggered (Exaggerating the truth)

2. The same way Trump won the election is the same way it looks like people arent outraged (because theyre the silent majority) emphasis on the silent

3. They are very well paid to protest. hell give me a couple grand and il hold a sign!

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 09:34 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1

I am not sure you can use just the left violent actors on YT .If you look at the liberal left in the senate with the confirmation hearings you could add most of them as well . True that they haven't got into a full physical brawl but they are sounding quite extreme and it aint pretty to watch .

That's a good point, and I guess I wasn't thinking of that. I was thinking more of the physical aspect of the extremist left view that has manifested itself in physical violence and destruction. However, you are correct, and even non violent extremist seem to be emboldened by the growing numbers and physical acts of their brethren.

I think the only positive side right now is that it seems to be pushing a good deal of the more level headed and rational liberals away and towards the center as it tries to continue to eat it's way larger and larger. Eventually it will run out of "converts" and maybe slow or hopefully shrivel back down to a more manageable size.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: AMNicks

but as for your psychological point on whether its becoming a norm... I think there is three deciding factors to why it is being perceived as a norm (even though its not!)

1. the media has fought tooth and nail spreading lies about the right and trump or so no ones triggered (Exaggerating the truth)

2. The same way Trump won the election is the same way it looks like people arent outraged (because theyre the silent majority) emphasis on the silent

3. They are very well paid to protest. hell give me a couple grand and il hold a sign!

I guess the "norm" was more meant for them. Looking at that video of the awards show is what I'm talking about. This is just everyday life now for some of these RECENT converts to the extremist view. Bashing heads in and burning stuff down, in their own bubble, it's what everyone is doing. It's scary, scary stupid.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Both sides claim the other is extreme, extremist, extremely 'out there'. Divide and Conquer.

The problem is the increasing violence and the oppressive response by the state actually escalates the 'extremes'.

If the state is unable to protect its citizens from the violence, be it mass mirder attacks and or violent protests, then the people will increasingly turn to those that can, typically anti gubment organizations that are even more extreme.

Anarchy isn't the answer, neither is revolt or violence during demonstrations.

Non violent, passive resistance is key. Of course, the only thing that threatens oligarch is affecting their bottom line. To do that there needs to be strikes that affect production (and profit) to such a degree they relent.

But since they busted out the unions which defanged the work force, since they reduced wages and moved jobs overseas people aren't unified any longer in any capacity to affect the ruling elite and make them come to the bargaining table.

You all sheep that been sheared and have no longer any power to resist. Or care as far as I can tell...

tsk tsk

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Too many on the left have abandoned the true meaning of the idea of liberty.

They've become tyrants of a different color.

Hard to see any near term solution, save something catastrophic happening. Perhaps that is the most distressing thing of all.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Both partisan ideologies are extremist.

The two sides are too busy screaming this at one another to stop, and think long enough to realize they, too, aren't so innocent.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 09:50 AM
link   

I think the only positive side right now is that it seems to be pushing a good deal of the more level headed and rational liberals away and towards the center as it tries to continue to eat it's way larger and larger. Eventually it will run out of "converts" and maybe slow or hopefully shrivel back down to a more manageable size.
I think the issue probably actually lies in a mix of true liberalism and what is a liberal .The "what tribe to run with" has always posed some confusion with me . I find myself agreeing with some liberals who don't agree with the whole tribe and I can say the same for the right as well .

I avoid crowds so the tribal aspect does not appeal to me .A politician of either cam will always prey on the strengths and weaknesses of the tribe .If you got a mob to appeal to then you use mob talk . If its a group of grannies then you address them . If it's a mob of grannies then its time to switch parties

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: RomeByFire
Both partisan ideologies are extremist.

The two sides are too busy screaming this at one another to stop, and think long enough to realize they, too, aren't so innocent.

In a way embracing any ideology is extremism, religion even moreso IMO.

However there is always a large grey area, between two ends of a spectrum, in which most people exist. Either because they have put a large amount of thought into it and find that they fall in the middle. Or because they exist in the grey area because they choose not to engage in or aspire to conform anyone else to their beliefs.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1

I think the issue probably actually lies in a mix of true liberalism and what is a liberal .The "what tribe to run with" has always posed some confusion with me . I find myself agreeing with some liberals who don't agree with the whole tribe and I can say the same for the right as well .

I avoid crowds so the tribal aspect does not appeal to me .A politician of either cam will always prey on the strengths and weaknesses of the tribe .If you got a mob to appeal to then you use mob talk . If its a group of grannies then you address them . If it's a mob of grannies then its time to switch parties

So in the end it's just all sales.....

Sounds about right, whenever I watch a politician or a religious figure speak I get that feeling in my stomach like I'm listening to a used car salesman.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: AMNicks

You know, when I posted that video I was deciding between that one and the women that loved carnival rides and fences. While it may have been more funny, I think that was more mental illness than extremism.

Also I think some members would have thanked me in the end if they knew what I spared them from.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 10:05 AM
link   

This is what happens when we let radicalism frame the debate. Radical feminism, radical activism, radical leftism begets radical misogyny, radical counter-protest, and radical rightism. If moderates hadn't have been brow-beaten and coerced into accepting these ideologies, extremism would have dissipated long ago.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

This is what happens when we let radicalism frame the debate. Radical feminism, radical activism, radical leftism begets radical misogyny, radical counter-protest, and radical rightism. If moderates hadn't have been brow-beaten and coerced into accepting these ideologies, extremism would have dissipated long ago.

Well stated, better(and shorter) than I could have hoped for myself.

I guess the reason this goes unchecked, or is going unchecked, is because by their own nature(moderates) won't push back and instead seek to find a middle ground or compromise(passively).
edit on 9-2-2017 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: loam
Too many on the left have abandoned the true meaning of the idea of liberty.

They've become tyrants of a different color.

Hard to see any near term solution, save something catastrophic happening. Perhaps that is the most distressing thing of all.

It's a runaway train. It was obvious even back during the Bush years that we are a nation divided. The only way this all ends is with conflict.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 12:44 PM
link   

You're being manipulated.

They're subverting your cause - they're subverting everything.

Even the word "extremist" is no longer neutral, but is itself extremist talk, a buzzword, moved from its naturally neutral position to an extreme position of only carrying a negative connotation.

Being an extremist is not bad. Being bad is bad.

They're not infiltrating your cause with extremists - extremists can be good - they're subverting it with injustice.

Don't let them manipulate you into believing that being fervent or fully committed to something is bad simply because the majority aren't.

It is extremists who win freedoms whether by passive aggression or full out war.

Do you know what I mean? Believing that being a slave to a cause is wrong will not free you from being a slave, it will just make you their slave.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bleeeeep

You're being manipulated.

They're subverting your cause - they're subverting everything.

Even the word "extremist" is no longer neutral, but is itself extremist talk, a buzzword, moved from its naturally neutral position to an extreme position of only carrying a negative connotation.

Being an extremist is not bad. Being bad is bad.

They're not infiltrating your cause with extremists - extremists can be good - they're subverting it with injustice.

Don't let them manipulate you into believing that being fervent or fully committed to something is bad simply because the majority aren't.

It is extremists who win freedoms whether by passive aggression or full out war.

Do you know what I mean? Believing that being a slave to a cause is wrong will not free you from being a slave, it will just make you their slave.

Actually I don't know what you mean. Don't see how I'm being manipulated, as I really hold no political affiliations or parties or have no "causes".

As for extremism being bad, well, it is. Usually when one holds an extremist view, they are no longer able to assess new information with an open mind. Therefor limiting their ability to adapt their position/thoughts/theories using any sort of rational or scientific method. At that point, they become nothing more than a drone, programmed with a set of rigid instructions and limited to operate in a small parameter window.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Ah. I see...

They already got you.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I think one of the major enablers is that many who act this way are completely unaware of their own radicalism/extremism.

For most social groups in the past, the fringe behavior of "extremism" was not only recognized, but frequently embraced and justified openly.

When that doesn't happen, the ability to correctly place and locate the ideology in the spectrum is lost. What happens then is that the "unknowing radicals" see the divergence between their view and others as indication that they are the "normal" group and everyone else are the extremists, losing their minds, etc. It introduces a level of cognitive dissonance that makes it nearly impossible to reconcile the differing ideologies. After all, who will listen to someone(s) that is seen to be an extremist when they are trying to convince you they are actually "normal?" Even well meaning, intelligent people can get as caught up in it as anyone else. When/if this infects social groups equally.. it will not be a good thing.

I do believe this started with the left, but that it has shifted to the right in the last year or so. We probably will see that come to fruition more quickly than what we saw with the left, but it will still probably take years to take root.

I think it is all a foolish, ignorant, and arrogant attempt at a "new and improved" method of social and memetic engineering that has gained a life and momentum all of its own in the same way as an infectious disease. It is only in hubris that anyone would think it can be controlled any more than a hemorrhagic fever, at this point.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join