It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump contradicts Gorsuch spokesman, accuses Blumenthal of misrepresenting comments

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 07:09 AM
link   

President Trump on Thursday contradicted a spokesman for his Supreme Court nominee in a tweet blasting Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.), who told reporters that Judge Neil Gorsuch called Trump's tweets attacking federal judges "demoralizing."

"Sen.Richard Blumenthal, who never fought in Vietnam when he said for years he had (major lie),now misrepresents what Judge Gorsuch told him?" the president tweeted Thursday morning.

Trump contradicts Gorsuch spokesman, accuses Blumenthal of misrepresenting comments

As you can see in the following thread, the consensus at ATS concerning Gorsuch's comment about Trump was that the quote was a planned political stunt. The supposed goal was to win votes in the Senate for Gorsuch.

Gorsuch calls Trump comments about judges 'disheartening and demoralizing'

That theory just went out the window. I didn't understand it anyway. Why would an unconfirmed statement change the votes of Senators for something as important as a Supreme Court nomination?

What's the theory now? I think Trump just admitted that Gorsuch meant exactly what he said. It's a sad day for America.
edit on 9-2-2017 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

If Trump had remained silent, I think it actually would confirm the theory. As everyone knows, he doesn't really do that.

Your point again?

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Quote from the article

A spokesman for Gorsuch later confirmed to CNN that the judge used the terms "disheartening" and "demoralizing" to describe Trump's tweets during his meeting with the Blumenthal.

I have been searching but so far have been unable to find a name for this spokesman. To me, the story still hasn't passed the burden of proof. On one side we have Blumenthal, who did in 2010 misrepresent the extent of his military career, even though he later apologized. On the other side we have Trump for who lying is like getting out of bed.

With that said, I am not going to believe or disbelieve either side in this unless there is more proof brought to the table.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 07:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: loam
If Trump had remained silent, I think it actually would confirm the theory.

I don't understand the logic of that statement. Would you please elaborate?

Why would you even mention what could have happened if Trump remained silent? He did not remain silent. Are you using an appeal to an alternate reality? I've never heard of that before.

I was just reading the following article. The theory behind the article is that Trump is as mature as a person in middle school. It's kind of funny how this he said/she said stuff is right out of middle school.

Donald Trump, Middle-School President

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 07:54 AM
link   

This really isn't that complicated.

If you want to head off assertions that your SCOTUS nominee is a political yes man, you set it up so as to show he's an independent thinker. What better way than to have him contradict you on some mildly related topic attached to the biggest topic (Trump's EO) in the headlines on the day?

It has been proven Trump has used these kind of publicity tactics in the past. He gets away with it because the MSM is so broken, they haven't figured out yet that the best way to defeat that tactic is to not give it play and instead remain focused on your BEST substantive topics of the day.

With respect to your article, I find it ironic an article that repeatedly calls Trump names complains he's the middle-schooler. Think how much more effective it would have been if the title had read something more mature and sobering, and nearly three fourths of the article deleted.

The alternative reality resides firmly in the ant-Trump crowd, imo.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 08:06 AM
link   

This really isn't that complicated.

If you want to head off assertions that your SCOTUS nominee is a political yes man, you set it up so as to show he's an independent thinker. What better way than to have him contradict you on some mildly related topic attached to the biggest topic (Trump's EO) in the headlines on the day?

It has been proven Trump has used these kind of publicity tactics in the past. He gets away with it because the MSM is so broken, they haven't figured out yet that the best way to defeat that tactic is to not give it play and instead remain focused on your BEST substantive topics of the day.

That's only one possibility. If Trump had remained silent, there would have been other possibilities than what you just described. For example, the quote by Gorsuch may have been a genuine comment said with no ulterior motives.

As with most conspiracy theories, the only hope for proving them to be absolutely true is with an admission of guilt. Even then it usually isn't possible to prove the theory to be absolutely true. There's usually a chance that the admission was a lie.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 08:21 AM
link   

When Trump stops acting like Trump, THAT is when everyone should start to worry.

So you acknowledge it's still a possibility. That's movement from your original post.

edit on 9-2-2017 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 08:30 AM
link   

So you acknowledge it's still a possibility. That's movement from your original post.

It was only a possibility within your appeal to an alternate reality argument. I absolutely do not think it's a possibility now.

"When Trump stops acting like Trump, THAT is when everyone should start to worry."

I could show you about a thousand articles where the opposite viewpoint is argued. Here are just a few...

Why We Should Be Worried for America That Donald Trump Is So Popular

Iraq is worried that Donald Trump says he may re-invade to take their oil

Invest ors are worried about Wall Street rollbacks by Trump

BILLIONAIRE “ORACLE” WARNS TRUMP’S “ERRATIC” BEHAVIOR COULD SPELL DISASTER FOR AMERICA

WHY GOLDMAN SACHS IS SUDDENLY WORRIED ABOUT DONALD TRUMP

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 08:39 AM
link   

If it makes you feel better...

Next.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Next.

None of that makes me feel better. Since you asked for another topic, what do you think of the latest Trump tweet?

President Trump on Thursday said Sen. John McCain “should not be talking about” what constitutes the success or failure of a military mission and that Mr. McCain “doesn’t know how to win anymore” after the Arizona Republican said it would be wrong to call a recent mission in Yemen a success.

“Sen. McCain should not be talking about the success or failure of a mission to the media. Only emboldens the enemy!” the president tweeted Thursday.

Donald Trump: John McCain ‘should not be talking about the success or failure of a mission’

I think this is one of the most shocking statements that Trump has made yet. Members of Congress have every right to question the POTUS about everything. I believe it's their duty to do it.

Having Trump trying to strip the ability of a war veteran to be able to comment on military actions is exactly what I would expect from a dictator. I haven't started on the first amendment yet. In my view that should go without saying.

I've got some proverbial popcorn ready for your answer.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 08:51 AM
link   

As you can see in the following thread, the consensus at ATS concerning Gorsuch's comment about Trump was that the quote was a planned political stunt. The supposed goal was to win votes in the Senate for Gorsuch.

I still stand by my contention, that Gorsuch's comment was meant to bolster trust and support from those who are concerned that he won't be able to say "NO" to the president who appointed him, if it should come to that.

But, Trump, not being an intellectual nor able to recognize intellectual concepts, and being the thin skinned, self absorbed idiot that he is, missed the intent and opportunity of Gorsuch's comment, and threw a monkey wrench into the works.

edit on 9-2-2017 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: loam

Trumps tactics are pure gold to watch play out . You have to be thinking on a multi layered picture to see it though . Its like "hey look at that squirrel " every one looks ...But that is not a squirrel you dummy .. Breaking news " Trump is a dummy and doesn't know what a squirrel is ".... Trump tweets with picture of him and a family of pet squirrels in his back yard ...what was the point every one is wondering ...Trump only wanted to scratch ...or maybe just to set them up for another fake news . Desperate opposition will seize on anything to make their point .Trump feeds them those false points and lets them make the next move . The neat part is that he is doing it and not using a teleprompter . Shoots right from the hip ,with a loose lip .

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   

That you're easily shocked.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 09:50 AM
link   

That you're easily shocked.

You don't find it shocking that Trump is showing signs of being like a dictator already? He hasn't been in office for three weeks yet.

I just read that Trump's claim that Blumenthal misrepresented Gorsuch's words is almost certainly a total lie.

First and foremost, one very significant person hasn't quibbled with Blumenthal's comments: Gorsuch himself. And in fact, Gorsuch's spokesman confirmed he said “disheartening” and “demoralizing.”

And secondly, there is little in Blumenthal's quotes for Trump to take issue with, beyond those two words. Blumenthal simply didn't say much else. A lawyer by trade, he seemed careful not to, in fact.

It's completely unclear what Trump thinks was “misrepresented.” I've reached out to Gorsuch's spokesman, Ron Bonjean, to see if they think Blumenthal got anything wrong. But in the 16-ish hours since Blumenthal came forward, there have been no complaints.

President Trump is in denial about his own Supreme Court nominee rebuking him

I've seen the lying a lot of presidential administrations, but Trump is making them look honest. I don't even see how we can analyze his words with so much deception going on.

a reply to: the2ofusr1

I think Trump may have a simple plan with all this. The plan seems to me to be order out of chaos. I think he may trying to cause chaos (in the way that you just described). The order part will be getting people hooked on the drama he's causing. The plan may be for everyone to be so dependent on Trump's drama that they wouldn't think of not voting him back in.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 10:59 AM
link   
The tactic is even more apparent now !!

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Why would a Democrat be a reliable "spokesman" for a Republican Supreme Court nominee?

Also, isn't Judge Gorsuch allowed to speak for himself.. to confirm or deny that he said President Trump's comments about Judges is "demoralizing"?

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 11:10 AM
link   

I think Trump may have a simple plan with all this. The plan seems to me to be order out of chaos. I think he may trying to cause chaos (in the way that you just described). The order part will be getting people hooked on the drama he's causing. The plan may be for everyone to be so dependent on Trump's drama that they wouldn't think of not voting him back in.
You would of had to be living under a rock for the past 20 years to not have noticed the chaos building to the point where any option other then the status quo was the choice . Trumps timing couldn't have been better , Now its a matter of cracking some more eggs to turn the omelet into a more palatable dish . way too many onions and mushrooms ...needs more eggs ...get cracking Don

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1
a reply to: loam

Trumps tactics are pure gold to watch play out . You have to be thinking on a multi layered picture to see it though . Its like "hey look at that squirrel " every one looks ...But that is not a squirrel you dummy .. Breaking news " Trump is a dummy and doesn't know what a squirrel is ".... Trump tweets with picture of him and a family of pet squirrels in his back yard ...what was the point every one is wondering ...Trump only wanted to scratch ...or maybe just to set them up for another fake news . Desperate opposition will seize on anything to make their point .Trump feeds them those false points and lets them make the next move . The neat part is that he is doing it and not using a teleprompter . Shoots right from the hip ,with a loose lip .

Not really. It's not Trump setting up some kind of multi layered tactic that people aren't smart enough to see through.

It's that you have to set up a multi layered picture in your mind to rationalize what he's saying in a positive way, and people misunderstand that as some tactic coming from him.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion

Next.

None of that makes me feel better. Since you asked for another topic, what do you think of the latest Trump tweet?

President Trump on Thursday said Sen. John McCain “should not be talking about” what constitutes the success or failure of a military mission and that Mr. McCain “doesn’t know how to win anymore” after the Arizona Republican said it would be wrong to call a recent mission in Yemen a success.

“Sen. McCain should not be talking about the success or failure of a mission to the media. Only emboldens the enemy!” the president tweeted Thursday.

Donald Trump: John McCain ‘should not be talking about the success or failure of a mission’

I think this is one of the most shocking statements that Trump has made yet. Members of Congress have every right to question the POTUS about everything. I believe it's their duty to do it.

Having Trump trying to strip the ability of a war veteran to be able to comment on military actions is exactly what I would expect from a dictator. I haven't started on the first amendment yet. In my view that should go without saying.

I've got some proverbial popcorn ready for your answer.

I think that anyone that thinks McCain is some type of war hero needs to use the internet and their brain and read up on him. His military "career" was an abysmal, horrible failure that was only possible because of his daddy. Calling him a war veteran is actually demeaning to any of us that have seen combat. Songbird McCain... he should have been thrown in Leavenworth when he got back for 60 years or so.

So in that context, Trump was correct. McCain has no business talking about the success or failure of any kind of military mission.

new topics

top topics

join