It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proposed Law Will Jail Passengers For 4 Months For Riding In A Car Without ID

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 05:24 AM
link   
So far this is the only state(that I know of) that is proposing such a law. I realize Arizona has had some tough times with border crosses, drug mules and illegals in general not to mention the lack of action by the feds in past times trying to stem the flow. You have to wonder if this becomes law how many other states will follow suit ? Let us hope this dies in chamber or at the very least is rewritten so that the stupid law is clarified.

Show me your papers... a famous line in many movies from times past.. Unfortunately if not now then maybe someday in the future ?

Overseas in many countries you either carry your passport or have it available in a timely manner. (timely manner can be interpreted on an individual basis) . Many travelers in the know use their cell phones and take a picture of their visa and the ID picture page of their passport especially if going to a beach or night club..

Is that where the USA is headed or just another delusional law to instill just a little more fear or control if passed..?

youtu.be...

Phoenix, AZ – The nanny/security state has reared its ugly head, again — this time in the form of a new law that requires passengers in a vehicle to carry identification – with violators facing up to four months in jail and a $750 dollar fine.

Last week, HB 2305 was introduced by Rep. Anthony Kern (R-Dist. 20), in hopes of reinstating an Arizona law that was struck down in 2002 after a judge ruled the statute as too vague to enforce.

The law really is so vague someone riding a bicycle could get nabbed if no ID.. A child in your car and no ID could be a problem if the law, as written, was to go into effect..

The reality of the situation is that under established U.S. law, unless an officer has a reasonable articulable suspicion of a crime afoot, a citizen is under no obligation to provide identification. Make no mistake that there is no logic or reason in attempting to force passengers to carry ID under threat of imprisonment.

www.activistpost.com...

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 05:35 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

It seems that one guy introduced a failed bill. I didn't use your links, just googled the bill. It never made it out of committee so a non-story for the moment.

Nothing against you or your links btw. Just a principle when it come to law I prefer to read what I can of the actual text. The ACA thwarted me in the 200's but I tried.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 05:35 AM
link   

As I have not seen the actual bill trying to be passed I will comment on your post alone. It sounds like Arizona and maybe some other border states need some thing to try to curb the mass disregard for American law. I have to agree that even a good law if left too vague is open to abuse eventually. What they need to do is:
1) clarify the law better as far as age and some other things go.
2) put a time frame on the law so that when the wall is in place the law will be redacted.
3) enlighten LEO as to the purpose of the law and oversee it's use.

I am sure there are more things I could add but haven't had my coffee yet.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 05:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky
Is that where the USA is headed

All signs past and present point to yes

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 05:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky

Show me your papers... a famous line in many movies from times past.. Unfortunately if not now then maybe someday in the future ?

What a stupid law. I hope it doesn't pass but even if it did, I don't think it would be held up in court.

As far back as the circuit court ruling in Corfield v. Coryell, 6 Fed. Cas. 546 (1823), the Supreme Court recognized freedom of movement as a fundamental Constitutional right.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 07:10 AM
link   
All children will be going to jail then.

So good luck with that law.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Text of the bill: legiscan.com...

Sad times.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Seems like a rather expensive proposition. Housing inmates isn't cheap, nor easy, when doing on a large scale that may involve transfers to ICE. I don't see this one working in its current state. I know AZ has problems, but there's got to be a more efficient way to curb illegals.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: brutus61

Yeah, how about a reason to put a law like this in effect. Every time I'm a passenger in a car that gets pulled over they ask for my ID. There's no reason for it and it royally hacks me off. If I didn't do anything then they have no reason or right to see it.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 08:24 AM
link   

If it will eliminate illegal immigration I have no problem having my Id on me. Who above the age of 18 doesn't have an ID anyway? I can tell you who....criminals and illegals.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rookseven
a reply to: brutus61

Yeah, how about a reason to put a law like this in effect. Every time I'm a passenger in a car that gets pulled over they ask for my ID. There's no reason for it and it royally hacks me off. If I didn't do anything then they have no reason or right to see it.

The Federal Governments job is to protect our borders. With them failing miserably, and then arming the criminals in Mexico via Fast and Furious, its put the states in a position to have to do what Uncle Sam won't, to protect the citizens who pay taxes for the honor of not being murdered by Mexican nationals here illegally.

I agree....the proposed (and failed) law is ridiculous. It would also be unnecessary if the Federal Government just did their damned jobs.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Many travelers in the know use their cell phones and take a picture of their visa and the ID picture page of their passport especially if going to a beach or night club

That's already here in the US.

Electronic DL's and Insurance cards.

So that part really isn't a big deal.

Jail time for no id.

That's just dumb.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: odinsway

If it will eliminate illegal immigration I have no problem having my Id on me. Who above the age of 18 doesn't have an ID anyway? I can tell you who....criminals and illegals.

On you at all times?
To walk out of the house, and be a criminal worthy of jail time, because you left your your papers home?
Papers please.....no?.....off to jail.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Slowly but surely, inching closer to everyone getting the "mark of the beast" then the real fun beginns!

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

First they asked for the ID.... the trickle down of showing ID ....

Visitors to the U.S. may soon have to hand over their social media passwords

and then it happened

Canadian woman denied entry to U.S. after Muslim prayers found on her phone

Will an American citizen be in a car with a legal non-citizen and all asked for ID and cell phone.... and passwords?

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Great idea to a point: time. Its usually done roadside in a detention fashion until the dispatcher can ascertain back to the Officer a positive I.D., then release or ticket and release....

Jail time automatic? No. Held for verification until identified positively? Great...but they already do that roadside or at worst, at the station.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   
You said it yourself. Many of the countries that the US wants to be like already do this and have for decades (mainly because they actually control who comes in their borders), so why not US?

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 02:08 PM
link   

It sounds like a tool that would be implemented so to look away from the profiling factor(s)- while honing in on suspects on the lam. People who fit a given profile.

Before they can start piling illegal aliens on the train heading back South, they need fingerprint data- documentation.
Not a lot of illegal aliens go get gov. docs to provide a legitimate border crossing. But they still go out into the general public. That's generally how they are caught, I would imagine.

There's always a line to cross in the rule of law, if you have papers showing legitimacy, you're not disrespecting the rule of law. Some laws are worthy of respecting.

I've been sweated plenty by cops in every community I've ever lived in, but I always had my ID/License # memorized for easy access, if I was ever caught without having any pockets that contained my ID.

This is coming from a guy that has contempt in his heart for those in gov. who abuse their authority for personal reasons.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   

4th amendment forbids this, and supersedes any laws.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: panaque

4th amendment forbids this, and supersedes any laws.

...until the supreme court interprets it otherwise.

I hate the idea of having to provide valid ID at all times. I hope it never comes to pass.

We'll be like the old Stasi of the now defunct East Germany. "Papers please"...

Scary thought. I think/hope we're better than that as a nation.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join