It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pennsylvania Senate Passes Bill Targeting Sanctuary Cities

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   
The Pennsylvania State Senate has passed some legislation that seems to punish sanctuary cities !!

They want to go after cities and counties that fail to report illegal aliens.

Looks like they want to cut some funding.

I suppose if a few states do something like this, it would cause an onslaught of illegal alien movements to other states as long as the Feds remain powerless on the issue.

Pennsylvania Senate Passes Bill Targeting Sanctuary Cities

The Pennsylvania Senate advanced a measure on Tuesday that would cut off hundreds of millions of dollars in state subsidies to cities and counties that do not always honor detention requests from federal immigration authorities.

The measure targeting sanctuary cities dovetails with a national debate being spearheaded by Pennsylvania's U.S. Sen. Pat Toomey and President Donald Trump, both Republicans, as a top law-and-order priority.

The Republican-controlled Senate passed the bill, 37-12. Every Republican voted for the bill, as did three Democrats.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Good finally we are seeing some actual progress. I wonder how california is going to deal with this.

After the triggering, rioting and looting that is.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I actually think were playing this wrong.

Forget funding.

Beat them at their own game.

The Affordable Care Act sanctuary cities, and watch how fast all it stops.

Without lifting a finger.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: everyone

I think they hired Eric Holder, (like he's actually gonna do something)

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Being a Pennsylvania bill and having nothing to do with California, the best they can do is stomp their feet and welcome those aliens in with open arms.... which is pretty much the SOP for them.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: manuelram16
a reply to: everyone

I think they hired Eric Holder, (like he's actually gonna do something)

I seriously laughed out loud at that, TY.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
Being a Pennsylvania bill and having nothing to do with California, the best they can do is stomp their feet and welcome those aliens in with open arms.... which is pretty much the SOP for them.

www.ojjpac.org...

Chester Co., PA (Added 8-2-16, Source: 10-8-14 DHS DDO Report)

Delaware Co., PA (Added 8-2-16, Source: 10-8-14 DHS DDO Report)

Lehigh Co., PA (Added 10-13-15, Source: 10-8-14 DHS DDO Report)

Montgomery, PA (Added 8-2-16, Source: 10-8-14 DHS DDO Report)

Philadelphia, PA* (7-15-10 Source: Policy Concerning Access of Immigrants to City Services ; 10-8-14 DHS DDO Report)

Philadelphia Co., PA (Added 8-2-16, Source: 10-8-14 DHS DDO Report)

Pittsburgh, PA (Added 5-29-14 Source: Pittsburg Post Gazette: Pittsburg launches effort to woo more immigrants, 5-29-14)

It won't effect CA, but the above listed PA cities will sure be doing some foot stomping after their state defunds them for breaking the law and shielding offenders from federal deportation.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
I actually think were playing this wrong.

Forget funding.

Beat them at their own game.

The Affordable Care Act sanctuary cities, and watch how fast all it stops.

Without lifting a finger.

I was hoping my city would become a sanctuary city for undocumented bankers. Then I could loan money I don't have and print enough to pay off my mortgage.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Lehigh County is in denial. They seem to think that the rule does not affect them, but I think they are twisting facts.

It took a couple of days, but Lehigh County's law department has determined President Donald Trump's executive order threatening to withhold federal funding from so-called sanctuary jurisdictions does not apply to the county.
Lehigh County lets ICE know when it's about to release an inmate the federal agency wants to detain on immigration charges, but it doesn't hold those inmates beyond their county release dates. It has no plan to change that policy in light of Trump's order, Muller said.

In 2014 the county declared it would no longer hold inmates past their county release dates even if asked to do so by ICE.

Lehigh County says it's not a sanctuary under Trump executive order

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I'm very glad that PA is working on cleaning up their sanctuary cities.

I think that some of the federal funding would be in jeopardy state-wide.
For example:

2. Q. May a state make a subgrant to a city that the state knows to be violating an applicable
law or regulation (e.g. Section 1373), or a programmatic requirement?
A. No. A JAG grantee is required to assure and certify compliance with all applicable
federal statues, including Section 1373, as well as all applicable federal regulations, policies,
guidelines and requirements. This requirement passes through to any subgrants that may be
made and to any subgranteees that receive funds under the grant.

source

8 U.S. Code § 1373 - Communication between government agencies and the Immigration and Naturalization Service

edit on 2/8/17 by BlueAjah because: link

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah

I actually feel bad, because most of the county itself has nothing to do with this...it is mainly the politicians and the city of Allentown, which has become a literal cesspool the last 20 years or so. Take small towns like Slatedale and Emerald for example....rural, blue collar, agricultural areas, but in jeopardy of losing state funds because of the hogwash going on in Allentown. Despicable.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Arizonaguy

Yes, Allentown is almost as bad as Philadelphia.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Looks like Pennsylvania is wising up, and listening to their voting public!! So nice to see! How many more states will do this?

top topics

join