It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Leonardo reenters T-X

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Leonardo has reentered the T-X program, proposing their US based DRS division to be lead contractor. The major contractors are still part of the program, with CAE, and Honeywell building ground based training systems and engines. A new plant will be built for FACO. The components will be built in Italy, and assembled in the US at the new plant.

WASHINGTON — Leonardo is back in the T-X competition and will be proposing the T-100 with its U.S. subsidiary DRS as the prime contractor.

The announcement on Wednesday follows a dramatic falling-out between the Italian firm and Raytheon, its partner and prime contractor in the trainer competition. The companies last month confirmed that they would not pursue the program together, following disagreements over the price of the aircraft. The T-100 is based on Leonardo's M-346, which the Italian firm currently builds in Italy and has already sold to Israel, Singapore, Italy and Poland.

www.defensenews.com...

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Leonardo execs are concerned, with good reason, that politics will eliminate their bid, or result in it not being chosen if it's the low bid.

www.flightglobal.com...

Italy has been growing more and more upset over the disparity and broken promises about the one way street when it comes to defense programs.

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Well, they can always work on a navalized T-100 for when the Navy decides to replace the Goshawks. The USN seems much less snooty when it comes to buying COTS trainers from european manufacturers.

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Barnalby

That would probably be an outstanding Goshawk replacement actually.

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   

The giant wings and control surfaces where all I needed to see on that front.

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 03:53 PM
link   

And it's not a lot bigger. It's big enough to give a feel for how a larger aircraft would feel, but not so much bigger it would need a bigger footprint in hangar and shop space.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 10:26 AM
link   

I'm sure the Phantom-looking exhausts and empennage might win over a few of the older brass on sentimental reasons alone.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 10:28 AM
link   

I'm torn. I like it, but I like the T-50A too. I can't decide which I like more.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 10:35 AM
link   

A kimchee-flavored mini F-16 vs a Russo-Italian SUPER DEFORMED F-4. I don't know which one is cuter or more endearing.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Exactly! The Viper can be a pain in the ass but I like the blending they did. And I loved me some Phantom. It's a coin toss.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 10:52 AM
link   

It's just hilarious to me that the remaining contenders are all basically Power Wheels™ versions of famous multirole fighters.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Hey, don't knock Power Wheels.

new topics

top topics

join