It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Great College Excuse-Mental Illness

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 04:33 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Excellent thread!

However the word lunacy in this case, is a severe understatement. These people are so brainwashed i'm surprised they know right from wrong, left from right, and good from evil.

These people are the reason the Planet has descended into hell in only 1 decade.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 05:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: reldra

Using an excuse that you are depressed or triggered to avoid an idea or activity is also lazy. Keep in mind this is within the scope of college students.

That is usually about the time some people realize they are having a problem and seek help.
I was in college when I decided and my mother would talk me through anxiety attacks on the phone.
Eventually, one of my arms would go numb. It was difficult, but I went somewhere for help.

No one wants to tell a perfect stranger that they have had this odd problem most of their life. On top of that, it is even more difficult to go, if you are an intelligent person, thinking they will ask why you didn't ask for help well before.

Yes, college students. I can understand why the numbers seem high. They are facing work and school and a mental disorder is getting in their way. Many, at that time, will decide the problem needs attention.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 05:08 AM
link   

I'm only working off what your original post, other posts in this thread and general memory of how you post, was I wrong on my judgement call?

It was nice of you to pawn all the responsibility that every adult must face back on to some other outside source rather than begin to fix the core of the problem and attempt to move forward.

Is that more judgement without knowledge of background? Hard to tell.

I know it's in the mud pit, doesn't mean you must act an arse. Anyways, I've never pawned off any of my problems if that is what you're alluding to.

You don't know me or what I did in my youth.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 05:20 AM
link   

I think you may be mistaking my meanings here. Actual issues exist, I'm not denying that. What I am pertaining to, and you touched on it a little, is something that can and should easily be dismissed. Facing work, school, homework, new people, new scenarios. Yes, this will cause stress and anxiety.

What concerns me, and as the reason for this thread, is how there is almost a market for it in colleges as the source describes. Instead of urging kids to overcome, adapt and utilize this disposition to excel, they are given a label (crutch) and in some cases drugs to cope instead of the much needed natural coping skills we all learn throughout life.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 05:24 AM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

I meant nothing to you personally except for the the specific comment I made about your assumptions. I, like many, had plenty of hardships and testing times that needed to be overcome. The very critical point was when I began real work around the age eighteen. Different people from all over the globe with different belief systems and politics etc.

I couldn't imagine what life would be if at the first sign of anxiety or depression I could go get my label and use it to keep me from growing as a person.

See my reply to Reldra for as it pertains to your post as well.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 05:31 AM
link   

I think you may be mistaking my meanings here. Actual issues exist, I'm not denying that. What I am pertaining to, and you touched on it a little, is something that can and should easily be dismissed. Facing work, school, homework, new people, new scenarios. Yes, this will cause stress and anxiety.

What concerns me, and as the reason for this thread, is how there is almost a market for it in colleges as the source describes. Instead of urging kids to overcome, adapt and utilize this disposition to excel, they are given a label (crutch) and in some cases drugs to cope instead of the much needed natural coping skills we all learn throughout life.

I don't think that is the case. I do not think college students are being handed a crutch just to avoid the normal changes in life. Most will adapt, excel and overcome.

The article is a thinly veiled political statement. It starts talking about being triggered and needing a safe space. That type of conversation is overplayed, exaggerated and a right wing talking point. The article is using that talking point to diminish the reality of psychological problems either temporary or long term. As well as the implication that college campuses (especially left leaning) are destroying western civilization. I caught that too.

I have been clear on that since reading it.

I have also been clear on the passive/aggressive tone of the OP, that pretends to just be curious or to pose a question when their goal is already set.
edit on 8-2-2017 by reldra because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-2-2017 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 05:41 AM
link   

blog.petersons.com...

Number four on the list.

Yes, it is, thus the mud pit. However what is missing in the usual political drivel is the attack. Rather than going on the attack however, he uses this piece to show one of the causes that leads to the effect.

It’s a short step from being diagnosed with a mental disorder to adopting the role of being super-sensitive to “triggers.” You could call it a self-fulfilling prophecy. “If I have a mental disorder, then I’m a victim, and then what people say and do around me is going disturb me…and I’ll prove it.

Thank you for at least reading it.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Don't get me wrong, I don't really agree with treating everything with drugs either, from personal experience and experience of those I know I can't say it's exactly true of the medical industry either.

As I said, councilling is the better option. Even better is a supporting family unit that encourages and builds the character of a person.

It's not an easy escape if circumstances are leading a youth to not participate in the world. Or if they show signs of clearly struggling.

I couldn't imagine what life would be if at the first sign of anxiety or depression I could go get my label and use it to keep me from growing as a person. 

See the thing is many college students are kids still, the parents expect the system to educate them on life lessons and the system probably thinks parents are not doing enough, in between you have confused kids going "wtf" and pharmaceutical companies gleaming from the eyes.

It's probably best to speak from experience, I never got any labels till my 20's. With education and hindsight, a view of how things should be done... I realized I had mental health problems from a relatively young age.

At 13 and 18 I was doing good on the surface, swan like grace you could say. My legs paddling like hell, plenty of friends, I had money from multiple paper rounds or doing bricklaying on the side, I aced every curriculum test put before me. Underneath I was a mess with little to no education on how to handle internal struggles.

Realistically I'd say too much of a gap exists between schooling and working a job, maybe the youth need more responsibility, maybe treated like young adults... I can't really say.

I'm a supporter of earlier intervention rather than later though, because ignoring such things is much more destructive. I'm seeing a relative following the same destructive path I did.

I've already seen too many people kill themselves over problems they could have overcome. It's disgusting statistically how many youths have killed themselves.

That being said, it's not untrue that people use illness as an excuse. It's not necessarily a age thing either. That old inch and a mile saying springs to mind and I think it's a trait inherited tbh but that's for another thread.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 06:07 AM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

As I said, councilling is the better option. Even better is a supporting family unit that encourages and builds the character of a person.

This, this and more of this! Family, friends, counselors or whomever. Speaking to someone who will listen or compare/contrast what is going on with your life and respond.

Realistically I'd say too much of a gap exists between schooling and working a job, maybe the youth need more responsibility, maybe treated like young adults... I can't really say.

More of this as well!. Never will a person have as much energy to expend as those formative teenage and young adult years. Being able to work through it, as I mentioned before, is cathartic. From what I've read, that is how you coped. That is how I coped.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Well, my mental health went largely unnoticed until something gave. I had a huge problem with substance abuse and it wasn't pot.

No amount of ignorance to my situation would have averted the fall, it was inevitable.

In a way I wish I had a safety net, someone or something to guide me and support me, but then again I'd not be the person I am without my learning curve. I didn't have the balls to admit I had problems at such a young age, nobody to really tell.

I began to wake up as friends and loved ones dropped dead due to substance abuse and suicide.

It's why I know it's not some leftist conspiracy to brainwash the kids, in reality many of us are screwed in the head and sometimes a little therapy can go a long way.

Wasted youth... I could have took a job at 14 just like my grandad, maybe demand more from the education system that was adamant I was never at school enough, I was learning the same crap at 16 I already knew by 13. Youth is literally wasted in the education system, I literally waited years to legally get a job and earn some pounds.

It's really complicated tbh, as phage said we all learn differently. It's true that circumstances are different for everyone too. The future citizens of the world need to be well equipped, if that means more and better support in terms of mental health then I'm all for it.

Because let's face it, a young mind is the most malleable, for better or worse.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Who are you to decide what's a "real" mental illness versus what's an "excuse"?

Stress is known to exacerbate mental illness, as well as, bring it to the surface. College is super stressful, so it would make sense that either a condition comes to the surface during college, or its exacerbated to the point that the student seeks help, for what has likely been an ongoing problem, but is suddenly more problematic.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 08:22 AM
link   

I think society deemed it necessary for these men to "get over it."

When they finally reach the working world, they'll have to get over it.

There are no safe spaces, no puppy therapy rooms in the workplace.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Our society as a whole is not healthy. We keep getting inundated with news pieces of traumas/tragedies.

Those kids going to school and being found 'inadequate' are the best hope we have in the future...
the inner city kids trying to escape lives of crime do not have any odds in their favor, like a higher education.

It's a problem our entire society needs to address, then conquer.

People are scared of happiness because they have little experience with it...afraid it will end.
We have news pieces to keep us on edge of committing suicide...little to do with triumph.

Teaching life skills in class before graduation would help those who normally wouldn't care about graduating, graduate.
I wouldn't say we're too far gone, but we are skating atop the cusp of falling down on our faces.

Since the article has been brought forward, gives hope for a better outlook in the near future, for us all.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

There are no safe spaces, no puppy therapy rooms in the workplace.

I'll go out on a limb here and say neither is their in college.

I honestly don't know if you're being satirical or genuinely deluded, it's hard to tell since you never take a subject seriously.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: loveguy

I have to agree with you.

The youth are always inheriting a more extreme world

Illegal wars, so called democracy. Parents allowing diets that lead to obesity or type 2 diabetes.

Life skills?

Too many youth's plan to be dead at 30, never thought I'd make 23. Too many people selling the fact life lasts too many years in a world that isn't fun at all.

And they wondered why we binge drink.

College grads take years to pay back their loans if they are lucky to get a well paid job, whilst the bankers burnt it all and then got handouts they'll never pay back.

Funny? Not really it's kind of sick, nothing is safe. No safe space exists. I'd consider it an excuse from the idiot adults who fretted away the future of the youth.

Most youth get to grow old living deluded, having illnesses or are the lucky few who end up happy.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

It is kind of nice that this world does not discriminate. It does not lessen its rules for the precious 'snowflakes'. It is an equal opportunity employer.

From what I witness, for those both young and old, is as a person's life views get farther and farther away from reality, the more unhappy that person is. In the before times, the person would correct their views or more than likely would end up dead.

Now with the comfort of technology and the great benevolence of fellow man, people seldom need to even learn anymore. There really is no consequence of going against this reality anymore, outside of crushing unhappiness and discomfort.

But now there is a pill for that. Just remember, the pharmaceutical companies love you and only have your best interests in mind.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join