It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Great College Excuse-Mental Illness

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 01:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Do you have to correct my poking at myself?

lol
edit on 2/8/2017 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 01:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: JinMI

To be fair, I know a little about a lot...

Noted.

Also to be fair, I'm here to learn far more than I am to teach as I'm not qualified to do so. Perhaps learning can in and of itself be therapy.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 01:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Down, inner pedant...down!
Bad Phage.

edit on 2/8/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 02:02 AM
link   

This is really interesting and much food for thought. i recall the 90's push to medicate even younger students in grade school and high school for the then new mental disability, ADHD.
I don't believe ADHD is not a real problem for some and have my own opinions on how excitable kids can learn in certain environments, but a part of me wonders how much diagnosing is being done on behalf of the big pharma money making machine.
Yes, mental illness is real, but is it being pushed on younger folks for something more sinister...like are the doctors just working for pharmaceutical companies and making mountains out of mole hills concerning the symptoms...?
and/ or are younger generations being manipulated into blindly following what "authority" concerning health, tells them...also to sinister ends of possible mass manipulation for the future elite!?!

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 02:03 AM
link   

In my experience as a flying instructor, I found that in teaching one learns far more than one does as a student.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 02:06 AM
link   
a reply to: peppycat

but a part of me wonders how much diagnosing is being done on behalf of the big pharma money making machine.

No doubt that the industry has its priorities.
But speaking from personal experience (which I will not detail). Responsibility cannot be placed on pharma alone. Responsibility cannot be placed on physicians alone. Responsibility cannot be placed on anyone. Alone.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Mind...blown!

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 02:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

In my experience as a flying instructor, I found that in teaching one learns far more than one does as a student.

Satire or anecdotal? In either case, funny and enlightening. Is there any cause for alarm while learning to fly from students?

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 02:07 AM
link   

I've got my own, I can relate. She loves to troll.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 02:11 AM
link   

I already knew how to fly.
I learned more about flight. The thing with teaching is that everyone learns differently so you have to approach the matter in different ways. Doing so increases one's own understanding.

It's like trying to explain things on ATS.
edit on 2/8/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 02:16 AM
link   

I don't disagree.

As it relates to the thread, how does therapy, drugs and the socially acceptable crutch enhance the dynamic in styles of higher learning.

I'm under no preconceived notion that education is static. I am testament to that, but I do know how I learn best and how I can open myself to new ideas.

How do you teach someone to open their mind?

P.S. Was going to delete this as I realized I talked myself into a circle in a way. The argument could be made where certain drugs do open up the mind to new ideas.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 02:20 AM
link   

As it relates to the thread, how does therapy, drugs and the socially acceptable crutch enhance the dynamic in styles of higher learning.
That would depend on a number of factors.

How do you teach someone to open their mind?
Depending upon what you mean by that, I don't think anyone or anything can do so.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Very true. I believe there is a collective responsibility which makes me question the reality or versions of reality and a possibility of a mass programming of the collective mindset that seems to be steering the future generations acceptance of "how things are" or "whats normal".
i too have personal experiences that from my personal perspective led me to see the push for psych med's on young minds an easier alternative to actual therapy, where one can get to the root of a problem through discussion/counseling. at the same time, i do believe some medications can help.
perhaps, there has always been the same amount of people with mental imbalances that can be remedied by medications and we just didn't have the medicines or statistics that we do now or, past generations were a tougher lot that could deal with things better...or the past generations in not dealing with their own patterns of in balance or emotions, gave birth to a more sensitive group that needs to address the issues previously ignored..or not...much to think about, thank you for your reply.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 03:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

originally posted by: Kali74

To be fair, I know a little about a lot...

Noted.

Also to be fair, I'm here to learn far more than I am to teach as I'm not qualified to do so. Perhaps learning can in and of itself be therapy.

You can learn a lot faster if you're willing to swallow your preconceptions.

You don't know the 25% of students with mental illness, how long they've been diagnosed or why. Yet you came out in this thread with gunz blazin, ready to burn some safe spaces.

My theory to why mental health issues are more prevalent is this, people are not expected to bottle it up and carry on as if nothing fazed them.

Ultimately a condition unattended to can become far worse given time... Check yourself before you wreck yourself?

You could blame the kids and call them pussies, one shouldn't forget that dysfunctional families were not as common 50 years ago, divorce is on the rise.

Drugs is a major one too and I don't mean your prescription meds, I'm on about 12 year old kids getting higher more times a day than they have square meals, some kids have such screwed up parents they don't get proper meals at all.

More kids are being raised by bigger kids more these days, that's my opinion.

See, I was one of those screwed up kids, probably would have been diagnosed if I was noticed, but I wasn't. Between taking substances and partying you'd probably find me in class and be non the wiser despite having a three day bender.

I never saw any safe spaces

In fact, what I was doing many of my fellow students were doing too. I look back now and think years of my life were practically wasted, probably took years off my life too.

From personal experience, I'd say the system treating our youth is much better than self diagnosing or god forbid self treatment.

In terms of medication though I'd honestly have to say therapy and counselling works best, sometimes drugs are needed though.

Kids like all of us need relative stability, they need a supporting family unit, to feel safe in a school, to be educated on life skills.

Again, from personal experience the youth don't have it as simple as you think. I mention personal experience simply because I was a failure, a big screw up. I didn't need tears or a safe space, I needed guidance. Probably councilling and maybe some pills.

I kinda got there eventually, now I'm just an idiot instead of a complete idiot... I can't exactly fret because in reality I was having the time of my life, but it was at the expense of my life. Took me till my early 20's to click on how idiotic I was being.

I could go on but I'll leave it there, mental health issues affect more people than you'd think, it's a stressful world and alcoholism isn't as acceptable.
edit on 8-2-2017 by RAY1990 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 03:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1
In psychology, cognitive dissonance is the mental stress (discomfort) experienced by a person who simultaneously holds two or more contradictory beliefs, ideas, or values, when performing an action that contradicts those beliefs, ideas, and values; or when confronted with new information that contradicts existing beliefs, ideas, and values

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."
F. Scott Fitzgerald, "The Crack-Up", Esquire Magazine (February 1936).

Mad, adj. Affected with a high degree of intellectual independence.
Ambrose Bierce The Devil's Dictionary (1911).

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 03:49 AM
link   
a reply to: namelesss

Though a fine writer, I would not take Fitzgerald as an authority in the field of cognition. Booze can be fun. To a point.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 03:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Some will always use weakness/illness as an excuse for not achieving, for not succeeding.

I've seen men and women with missing limbs that were twice the people that some of these pussy's are.

These attitudes need to stop. What you are basically saying is that unless you can see the illness it can't exist.

Yes, you will all be surprised to know that mental ill health is now THAT common in Western populations. In the UK we are not far behind you.

You can only see the behaviour as the symptom of mental ill health. That is why ignorant statements like this are the norm. Many people have been this ignorant about it UNTIL they, too, experience mental ill health. Then they KNOW.

The problems are largely to do with judgement and bullying. We all know that humans form little cliques; in the work place, in the class room, by Jove, even at home in the family it happens. If you behave differently to the norm you are going to be bullied and judged because that is how the human unconscious collective operate in cliques (a bit like the Borg, lol).

In the work place this is debilitating and these kind of social environments do not allow certain people to be able to operate without experiencing judgement and bullying. The same has happened in gender, sexuality, race, religion (any difference that can be exploited).

Our brains control everything. legs and arms don't control EVERYTHING. When the brain goes wrong EVERYTHING else is affected. I'll leave the rest to your imagination.

Hitler and cave men don't tolerate mental ill health. A modern civilized society DOES and SHOULD. If it does not then it is no longer fit to be called a civilization. It is sliding surely into the pit of hell.

Have it which ever way you like, but statistics tell us that

Mental Health By the Numbers

Prevalence of Mental Illness Approximately 1 in 5 adults in the U.S.—43.8 million, or 18.5%—experiences mental illness in a given year.1 Approximately 1 in 25 adults in the U.S.—10 million, or 4.2%—experiences a serious mental illness in a given year that substantially interferes with or limits one or more major life activities.2 Approximately 1 in 5 youth aged 13–18 (21.4%) experiences a severe mental disorder at some point during their life. For children aged 8–15, the estimate is 13%.3 1.1% of adults in the U.S. live with schizophrenia.4 2.6% of adults in the U.S. live with bipolar disorder.5 6.9% of adults in the U.S.—16 million—had at least one major depressive episode in the past year.6 18.1% of adults in the U.S. experienced an anxiety disorder such as post traumatic stress disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder and specific phobias.7 Among the 20.2 million adults in the U.S. who experienced a substance use disorder, 50.5%—10.2 million adults—had a co-occurring mental illness.8

Those are the facts. Pretty surprising, eh. So realize that a huge proportion of modern Americans will experience mental ill health at some period of their lives.

We know how many well hard guys who have seen combat can crack so it is not sissy to become mentally ill despite what certain buffoons might tell you. Yes, so can students leaving home for the same time. Takes all sorts to make up the human race and king nor jester is immune to mental illness.

Best we keep support mechanisms in place considering what the alternatives are if we don't. Think hard on that you who would judge, bully and condemn.

edit on 8-2-2017 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 04:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: namelesss

Though a fine writer, I would not take Fitzgerald as an authority in the field of cognition.

A genius artist is a superior voice than some big pharma flunky, anyday!
My personal experience condones Fitzgerald's truth.
And I can support that philosophically! *__-
That dissonance crap is just that, more crap with which to paint those who... disturb... us, just as I have heard it (mis)used on this site!

Booze can be fun. To a point.

Don't try to dismiss on the grounds of substance use.
Every person who has led humanity in it's quantum leaps foreward was on something!

edit on 8-2-2017 by namelesss because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 04:29 AM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

Heh,

You can learn a lot faster if you're willing to swallow your preconceptions.

Again, from personal experience the youth don't have it as simple as you think.

Please, go on and tell me what I think. Be sure to include my experiences too.

It was nice of you to pawn all the responsibility that every adult must face back on to some other outside source rather than begin to fix the core of the problem and attempt to move forward.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 04:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

Treat the whole person do not just medicate ... quite a lot of medications just mask the problem, they do not fix it.

Yes there are problems that can be fixed with a pill, majority of folks do not need to be medicated for the rest of their lives when being taught how to cope and take steps in their lives to handle the illness will enrich their lives and leave them more free to pursue what they want in life.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join