It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Great College Excuse-Mental Illness

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 11:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Kettu

Life lesson: take care of your own yard, mow your own grass and you'll be a lot happier.
[/quote Or just find contentment ...That alone can make a person happy[er] .
edit on 7-2-2017 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 11:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1

Yeah, and usually doing that means you're worrying about yourself and taking care of yourself instead of running around concerned about what others are up to/doing.
edit on 7-2-2017 by Kettu because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Worrying is another one of those things to come to grips with .Its a kind of thing that can be consuming and accomplishes nothing . Concentrate on concern and actions to address the concerns and don't worry .

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 12:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: Irishhaf

The irony here being that instead of learning new things and given all the facts, develop their own coping mechanisms to life, they are being doled a drug and a crutch while at college.

It's almost the definition of insanity.

This ... a thousand times...

We do not teach are kids to deal with adversity we hide them from it, then when they are nearly adults we spring it on them they freak out and get drugs... we are creating idiocracy (yes I realize the statement is hyperbole) if we do not get back to raising kids to be adults.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Here, you get a participation trophy!

Life skills have been swapped for some sort of culture doctrine. Home-ec, debate, sports, music all at the expense of this nonsense.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 12:26 AM
link   

The irony here being that instead of learning new things and given all the facts, develop their own coping mechanisms to life, they are being doled a drug and a crutch while at college.

People seem to assume all diagnosed with a disorder are 'doled a drug'. They are given therapy or meds or both. It depends on the severity and the patient and doctor decide.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 12:28 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Yes, and at an alarming rate. 1 in 4.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 12:29 AM
link   
NEARLY 1 IN 5 AMERICANS SUFFERS FROM MENTAL ILLNESS EACH YEAR
www.newsweek.com...

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 12:36 AM
link   
I have pretty severe anxiety, that I have chosen to try to handle on my own, and actually I've been quite alarmed at how many friends I have that have developed real and serious issues with anxiety and depression. Some that its taken years to get to open up and actually say they do, and its still something that they're scared to talk to others about usually. It comes from a multitude of issues, but there a lot of the times seem to be an underlying lack of confidence.

A lot of people still dont recognize issues that people feel like are glaringly obvious to everyone, there does seem to be a general "coldness" when it comes to really opening up to others and studying themselves. And I think it gets compounded by the fact that a lot of people that I knw, when they've gone to doctors or therapist..a lot of the time they dont take the time to get to the root of the real issues, or dig into what may be causing issues..Rather they just hand out a pill..and say "come back in two weeks, call if you feel suicidal..if it doesnt work we'll try a new pill"

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Yes, and at an alarming rate. 1 in 4.

I can read. That 1 in 4 weren't all given medication. That is what I meant.

Not all of them had long term symptoms, either. For example, Major Depressive Disorder lasts more than 6 months. You can have been diagnosed with depression, saw a therapist for 4 months and suddenly it is gone.

It is difficult for someone to seek help like this. Calling is some sort of 'excuse' is, itself, lazy.

edit on 8-2-2017 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 12:43 AM
link   
The kids know that they will be in debt at the end of college and that they either will not like the profession they got stuck in or they will not get a job in the profession they want to be in. It is really stressful to know you will be paying for this for years. They can just say no and go out and find a job.....oh wait, there are no jobs, they all left the country.

They were saying we were in a recession in the seventies, but there was work all over, it was easy to get a job that paid enough to go out and get a small apartment or share an apartment with a friend. The better jobs had bennies and vacation pay and holiday pay. They weren't that hard to get either.
edit on 8-2-2017 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Using an excuse that you are depressed or triggered to avoid an idea or activity is also lazy. Keep in mind this is within the scope of college students.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Suicide is the 10 th leading cause of death in the US
Each year 44,193 Americans die by suicide
For every suicide 25 attempts are made
Suicide costs the US $ 44 Billion annually
On average, there are 121 suicides per day.

afsp.org...

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 12:57 AM
link   
a reply to: BeenieWeenie

Also, the demographic being talked about here is in the bottom rungs of the age group from your source.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Some people can with help become functional whereas they weren't before.
Some people can't be helped.
Some people think it's fashionable to see a therapist, it won't hurt at least.
Some people believe in Social Darwinism... I think they need therapy.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 01:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Some people need an excuse to not listen to an opposing idea.
Some people FEEL like they have the right to not be offended.
Some people need therapy and drugs as it relates to an actual situation.
Some people believe they know everything. I think they need therapy.

:coo: :roll;

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 01:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

People seem to assume all diagnosed with a disorder are 'doled a drug'. They are given therapy or meds or both. It depends on the severity and the patient and doctor decide.

According to the CDC, thats a lot of people on meds

Physician office visits Number of drugs ordered or provided: 2.8 billion Percent of visits involving drug therapy: 74.2%

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 01:50 AM
link   
The problem with diagnosing everyone and medicating rather than helping teach people to learn to cope is...

well an example I was happy as a Flight Engineer, loved the job... was a joy to go to work and fly... then a Doc said I think you have ADHD... boom DQ'd from flying, how many of these medications and diagnosis will keep people from jobs they want before they finish the journey to getting the job, or in some cases even figure out the job they want.

Also I usually prefer my own opinion, but I think this movie quote got it pretty close to right...

edit on 8-2-2017 by Irishhaf because: additional thought

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 01:52 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

To be fair, I know a little about a lot...

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 01:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

That's cool.

But what really counts is how you integrate and apply it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join