It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How accurate are radar guns? I have a dilemma and need some advice...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I've done a search on related threads, but none really answered my question. Google doesn't help much, either. I was pulled over for speeding the other day while taking my son to school, but there is no way I would have been driving as fast as the police officer said I was. I didn't argue with him because 1) my son was in the car, and 2) nothing good ever comes from arguing with a police officer (especially in Charleston, SC), and 3) I was in a fairly deep conversation with my son, so wasn't really paying attention to my speedometer, so couldn't say how much over I might have been going. He didn't tell me what the speed was until AFTER he handed me the ticket, and I was shocked.

This is what happened:

I was driving on a road that is posted 55. I had just turned onto it about a mile prior from my street. A car was coming toward me, and as it got closer I saw that there was a cop car behind it - actually right on the other car's tail. As I passed, that's when the cop did a u-turn and flipped on his blue lights. It took a couple of seconds to register that he was pulling me over. Like I said, I was talking to my son so didn't know exactly how fast I was going. We weren't late, and I drive that road every day. For ATS old-timers, you know that I was in a car accident years ago that has left me disabled, and have a handicap license plate. I DO tend to drive faster than the posted speed, but never (or rarely) more than 9 miles over unless I'm passing. I was flustered, so everything that I should have done or said just flew out of my brain! Anyway, when he came back to give me the ticket, he told me that I was driving 71 mph, the fine was $189, and it would be 3 points on my insurance.

Given the fact that I hadn't been on the road long, drive an '08 minivan, wasn't late (in fact we still made it to school on time), and the only time I'd go 71 is on a highway, is it possible that the radar gun was wrong??? If he even used one (I forgot to ask, and it's not on the ticket), can it register a speed of an oncoming car while tailing another car? I don't know what to do. Just pay the fine and chalk it up to "Stupid Tax", or go to traffic court? I did look up the cop - he's young and graduated Patrol school, or whatever it's called, in 2014.

This just doesn't feel right to me, but I'm not sure what to do. Any constructive advice would be appreciated.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Lolliek

Advice..

Go to court and ask them to reduce it prior to going before the judge.. The police will almost always do that to prevent the possibility of a trial that takes time and costs the department overtime money.

Radar is a proven and court tested technology and as long as his certifications are up to date, you can not win that battle in court..

Hope this helps

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Various types of radar equipment: Hand held, dashmounted, front and back facing as to catch you passing the other way, laser? All calibrated when? How long ago? How old is it? What was the posted and your registered speed? Were you the only vehicle in all lanes-to be positive it was your car?

Fight it in court. You can plead guilty with an explanation to the court, pay the fine...and youll get no points on your driving record to raise your insurance rates.

Good luck.....MS
edit on 7-2-2017 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 10:35 PM
link   
If you have a clean record, I would go to court and see if they will reduce it. I wouldn't say you weren't paying attention, or you may receive an inattentive driving ticket. Most likely you can get it reduced and get a point back.
Unfortunately your insurance will probably go up now.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 10:42 PM
link   
They calibrate their radars regularly.

They keep a log just in case they are challenged.

Take Defensive Driving.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 10:46 PM
link   

In Florida we have a few lawyers like The Ticket Defense Team.

They will handle ticket for you.

You should see if you have anything like this near you.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 10:51 PM
link   
If the gun wasn't calibrated within the standard time period, you can win. If not a class to have the points not applied to your record may be in order. Ive taken a couple of those years ago

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 11:12 PM
link   
One more thing. Use cruise control and set it for just 3 miles over the speed limit. They wont pull you over for that and you will know for sure how fast you were going.
edit on 7-2-2017 by visitedbythem because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 11:24 PM
link   

I have a feeling this link may be helpful to you.

If the cop car had to "radar" you at an angle of more than 30 degrees it was likely an inaccurate reading. There are also multiple types of radar. It sounds like you're pretty confident you weren't going as fast as they claim. I would fight it.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 11:33 PM
link   
According to that reading of 71mph in a 66zone, is quite a gap, maybe it can be grounds for discussion with the court. You mentioned speeding before, maybe you were just used going faster subconsciously, while not paying attention increased that mph. If you're really sure, assuming there's a record of it, would ask the courts anyhow. Also, as mentioned though, if you have a good driving record you can probably have the fee reduced.
edit on 7-2-2017 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 11:35 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Fighting a radar ticket is a tough sell.

It can be done. Only if the Cop was negligent and didn't calibrate it.

If she took Traffic School they will rip up the ticket.

Also, you can get a discount on your insurance if you complete it.

I owned a Traffic School in Texas. Not sure about NC.

Best of luck OP.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Research ways you can challenge this. Look for the smallest technicalities. I was was given a ticket where the officer verbally told me I was going 34 in a 25 mph zone, but wrote on the ticket I was doing 35. I was able to beat it on appeal.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Hang on. You were not paying attention to your speed, but there was "no way" you were going as fast as the police officer says.

Laser guns are accurate. The evidence gained from them is evidence of the speed you were doing.

Advice is a bitter pill. Slow down and pay attention.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Man.. I got trapped doing 140 in a 45 on my bike and all I got was a thumbs up from the officer.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 01:27 AM
link   

My father beat this type of wrap he asked whether the radar had been calibrated and how often was it calibrated he also demonstrated operator error by using the radar gun to clock an orange on the court bench doing 35...the case was dismissed you need to speak to a technician familiar with radars.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 02:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lolliek
I've done a search on related threads, but none really answered my question. Google doesn't help much, either. I was pulled over for speeding the other day while taking my son to school, but there is no way I would have been driving as fast as the police officer said I was. I didn't argue with him because 1) my son was in the car, and 2) nothing good ever comes from arguing with a police officer (especially in Charleston, SC), and 3) I was in a fairly deep conversation with my son, so wasn't really paying attention to my speedometer, so couldn't say how much over I might have been going. He didn't tell me what the speed was until AFTER he handed me the ticket, and I was shocked.

This is what happened:

I was driving on a road that is posted 55. I had just turned onto it about a mile prior from my street. A car was coming toward me, and as it got closer I saw that there was a cop car behind it - actually right on the other car's tail. As I passed, that's when the cop did a u-turn and flipped on his blue lights. It took a couple of seconds to register that he was pulling me over. Like I said, I was talking to my son so didn't know exactly how fast I was going. We weren't late, and I drive that road every day. For ATS old-timers, you know that I was in a car accident years ago that has left me disabled, and have a handicap license plate. I DO tend to drive faster than the posted speed, but never (or rarely) more than 9 miles over unless I'm passing. I was flustered, so everything that I should have done or said just flew out of my brain! Anyway, when he came back to give me the ticket, he told me that I was driving 71 mph, the fine was $189, and it would be 3 points on my insurance.

Given the fact that I hadn't been on the road long, drive an '08 minivan, wasn't late (in fact we still made it to school on time), and the only time I'd go 71 is on a highway, is it possible that the radar gun was wrong??? If he even used one (I forgot to ask, and it's not on the ticket), can it register a speed of an oncoming car while tailing another car? I don't know what to do. Just pay the fine and chalk it up to "Stupid Tax", or go to traffic court? I did look up the cop - he's young and graduated Patrol school, or whatever it's called, in 2014.

This just doesn't feel right to me, but I'm not sure what to do. Any constructive advice would be appreciated.

Suggest you do this.

take the case to court yourself. do not use a lawyer. the education will be invaluable and you will better prepared next time.

write to the prosecution and ask or the details on the camera used to as the evidence of your alleged speeding.
write to the prosecution and or the manufacturer of the camera and ask for the calibration history.
Ask for evidence that the camera was calibrated in accordance with your countries National Measurements Act.
Ask for a copy of the most recent calibration certificate for the camera used to record your alleged speed. All such cameras have name, make, model, serial number etc. This will show long its been since its been since it was calibrated
ask for proof of the officers/operators training in the use of that camera.
ask for the operaters manual for the camera concerned
ask for the maintenance manual for the camera concerned
revisit the site where the cop claims you were speeding and look for anything that might cause corruption of the camera reading, after reading the camera
search for previous favorable court decisions, nearest to your case, that suit your case.

Print is all out and submit it to the court using instructions found on your local justice department in your state

Your task in court is to ask the officer questions which will result in reasonable doubt in the mind of the judge as to the reliability of the camera, the accuracy of the camera at the time it was used etc and of the evidence they submit to the court as evidence of your guilt

search for 'traffic cross examination questions" to ask the cop.

If they give you little or none of this then argue for an adjournment and court order to get the materials you've requested. If still no go, argue that you "cant prepare your defence if you are not provided with the evidence the prosecution will be relying on in court to prove their claim."

Recommend everyone copy and keep this info in case they may need it themselves one day. The above applies to ALL speeding cases

bestaluck

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 05:28 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Various types of radar equipment: Hand held, dashmounted, front and back facing as to catch you passing the other way, laser? All calibrated when? How long ago? How old is it? What was the posted and your registered speed? Were you the only vehicle in all lanes-to be positive it was your car?

This^ If you are sure you were not speeding I would go with the above advice.
Yes I have personally done this and I won in court.
Good luck

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   

I'm pretty sure that any working vehicle could go from zero to sixty in thirty seconds or less so age of your car and how long you were on the road doesn't help your cause.
Entering a highway from a street with a 30MPH speed limit requires a vehicle to accelerate to 55 or 60 within a few seconds or have a speeding vehicle smash into them. Most cars shouldn't have a problem getting up to speed pretty quickly.
I had an eight cylinder Lincoln town car that was clocked at zero to sixty in six seconds.
Alone on a highway in upstate N.Y. I found myself going 89 MPH and it didn't feel like anything.
Driving along not another car in sight when I happened to glance at the speedometer. Holy smokes. I was still pretty new to driving then and slowed down immediately . Thing was as soon as I stopped thinking about it my speed started to creep up again.
To this day I really do have to watch myself. In forty years I only got one speeding ticket and that was not on a highway.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   
All good advice, and a lot to think about. Thank you. About the paying attention thing, as I said, I've been driving this route for years and have gotten complaisant. Driving on automatic, as they say. I was paying attention to the cars around me - which is wyI saw the cruiser in the first place. At 50 years old, I have had ticu, but all when I was younger. And although this one just feels wrong, proof is pretty much nonexistent. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't a victim of "traffic stop quotas". It sounds like (from a lot of you) that I should just take it. My husband does the cruise control thing. Guess I need to as well.

Thanks again

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Evilbunnie

Me too...but my wife is the one who always gets tickets. Me? 10-15 years between. I last argued the laser calibration and won as well. The judge agreed....the cop was not amused

new topics

top topics

join