It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coming to America - True Story Then And Now

page: 1

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 12:54 PM
link   
My parents came to this country in the 50’s due to economic and extreme hardship situations in their countries, however they did abide by the immigration laws, and US protocols for coming to the USA.

What did this entail?

First on the agenda was not having an entitled attitude, but mostly there was a waiting period for both of them, my father waited for 24 months, and my mother waited to be approved for almost 6 years, before they could enter the US, even with a relative sponsoring them. Basically they came to the USA with the clothes on their backs.

And no they were not from a hostile country, nor did they have any criminal records, in fact, my father shortly after he got here enlisted in the US army, because he was able to get 3 square meals a day, and better himself through the GI Bill.

Our families busted their asses, and all worked to pay the bills, not a single person demanded welfare, disability, or any other government aid. They were proud to be US citizens, absolutely loved their new country, and worked any crappy jobs without a single complaint.

Fast forward to now, all of their offspring have done well, and are productive members for the US economy, because of the strong role models, and examples they set. And all of them still love the USA.

Everyone may not agree with Trump’s immigration reforms, but something absolutely needed to be done, because the mass entitlement, arrogance, disregard for standing immigration laws, and protocol had to be addressed.

I personally don't mind immigrants, since I'm the product of them, however they should follow the standing laws that have been followed for over a century now.

If you feel strongly about illegals being able to remain, then by all means sponsor a family, or two and house them for a few years.

edit on 7-2-2017 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   
My mothers father came over with his family from South America. And I'm sure he had an easier time coming because he was a welder.
But he came here to work. And work he did as a welder till the day he retired.

My father came over to work as well as a watch maker from Central America. Just like my grand father he also worked until he retired.

I had a friend that came over from Jamaica. They made him sign a document that he would never collect any welfare.

And that's how it was back in the day. But today it's different.

However I can't blame the immigrants coming over that are getting the assistance offered by the government.

Blame the politicians that changed the laws in the first place.

edit on 7-2-2017 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   

I personally don't mind immigrants, since I'm the product of them, however they should follow the standing laws that have been followed for over a century now.

Contrary to popular dogma. Most people don't anymore.

Some of us have problems with those that think they get to cut in front of everyone else.

That they are the only ones that matter.

That isn't FAIR to people like your parents, or the people that want to come here that can't.

My family has been here since forever.

On my fathers side. Cherokee. Though no one could tell just by looking. Learned that after my grand mother passed away not to long ago.

On my mothers side. Irish. that have been here since before the civil war and fought in it.

Something does need done.

edit on 7-2-2017 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580

I had a friend that came over from Jamaica. They made him sign a document that he would never collect any welfare.

And that's how it was back in the day. But today it's different.

However I can't blame the immigrants coming over that are getting the assistance offered by the government.

Blame the politicians that changed the laws in the first place.

We have to blame ourselves for letting it get this bad, however I'm not opposed to some families that truly need a helping hand, or assistance till they get rolling.

But lifetime assistance for people that refuse to work, or feel entitled gives the next generation no hope of feeling empowered, on any level of their lives.

Having some type of job, or employment gives a person a sense of worth, and makes them feel better about themselves.
edit on 7-2-2017 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   
If I may ask.. where did your family emigrate from?

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Misterlondon

Father from Glasgow and Mother from Italy. The country was still in shambles after WWII, so they came the the USA.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Realtruth

originally posted by: Misterlondon

Father from Glasgow and Mother from Italy. The country was still in shambles after WWII, so they came the the USA.

Ok.. i myself am from all irish heritage although making that short leap across the english channel was not such a big step. Did have a few relatives that ended up in America though..
edit on 7/2/17 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   
We are a nation on Immigrants. But our immigrants need to be documented. The immigration laws need to be enforced. My brother in law was born and raised in Mexico. He came to this country first to work than to live and did so through the proper channels. Yes he had to pay a price in monetary means to become a citizen. But pay them he did. And pay them he does continue to do.
Many illegal immigrants are illegal because of this. They have to pay in order to become citizens. And they can make more by not legitimizing their citizenship. Citizenship if not a right. The immigration laws were created to provide documentation for anyone who wished to come into this country to live and better themselves and their loved ones. Everyone needs to pay their dues. Showing up and working here without doing so is taking the money away from those that do. It takes away money from the social programs that most working Americans pay into. I know of quite a few that do not pay taxes and do not pay into social security. And people wonder why there is resentment.
edit on 7-2-2017 by PainGod because: added context

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Realtruth

I agree, however I blame shameless business practices of hiring field hands for cheaper than minimum wage from illegal immigrants. That drove down the value of labor even back in the 40s and before.

There was plenty of manufacturing in those days so everyone, particularly congress right down to local government turned their heads while profits were made off the backs of said immigrants.

The real problem has always been unscrupulous behavior and greed.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Unless you are Native American, all of our ancestors at one time or another migrated to the United States. But you have to remember, they did so to better themselves and the lives of their families for generations to come. They didn't come over here to blow $hit up, like some want to do in today's time. That's why people were welcomed here, but all forget, in order to stay, they had to be processed via Ellis Island.

So, I have to ask, with immigrants forced to be processed via Ellis Island, how is that different than what is being ask today? It's not! Take religion out of it. Everyone is being processed. It's not racist, it's not wrong. It's reality of today because of terrorism. Obama was bringing refugees in by the thousands without being processed or any kind of vetting process and dumped in some town somewhere to live.

Protection is key to a healthy life and for those that want to make a better life for themselves, their family for generations to come. They should welcome a little extra time out of their day for the process to be followed through.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   
My ancestors came to America in 1907, they did it the legal way.

My wife`s ancestors came to America before it was even a country.
her ancestors fought with George Washington in the French and Indian wars, they fought in the revolutionary war (one of them was a captain in the continental army)

It`s disrespectful to the people who built this country to tell their descendants that they have to accept illegal immigrants and pay taxes to support those illegals.

but more importantly it`s ILLEGAL to be here ILLEGALLY! citizens have to abide by the laws what kind of citizen are you going to be if you are already violating the laws before you even become a citizen?

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 07:31 PM
link   

And my grandparents on one side in the 1880's...and the other in the 1790's.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 07:17 AM
link   

This country has a fine tradition of letting in the best from other countries. People that want to work hard and succeed.

I don't have a problem continuing that tradition.

new topics

top topics

join