It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Senate confirms DeVos as Education secretary Vice President Pence breaks 50-50 tie

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Tempter

You know what? If Trump wants to appoint Nick Offerman as his Secretary of Education I will support that choice.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: xuenchen

This administration is going to destroy America.

Pence the deciding vote. Of course this disaster would be confirmed.

I hope people refuse to work for her. And boycott everything she puts out.

Good thing the new people in government are actually concerned about children.

Is that the Joke of the Day?

More like then"Who's Who's" of who's in who's "money pocket".

Same old rhetoric from you Anne in every thread regardless of the topic.

Why don't you come up with a point of view or argument why you feel this way? So we can debate like adults?

And no "because he's the Slum Lord" doesn't qualify

Annee's biggest concern is that DeVos is all about God and white privilege. She needs to stop buying into the propaganda the MSM is force feeding her. This amount of fear can't be healthy.

link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
She has been working with education reform for years. The main reason why people think she isn't qualified is because she has been working outside the purviewof the public education system.

Define WORK in this case, in a schooling setting. What the ever-loving F has she taught, what classes, where, for how long, what education degrees does she hold?

I'll wait.

It's the same type of thinking that says that parents cannot teacht their own children (anti-homeschool) and that schools outside the public system are automatically going to be bad unless you are filthy rich.

The difference is I'm not running the whole country's system with my inexperienced, non-educator degree holding head up my ass. Nice damn try.

link   
a reply to: LSU0408

Considering DeVos wants federal funds going to religious schools and you're defending her I took it to mean that you had no issue with that.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 03:24 PM
link   

What propaganda? She is literally on tape saying she wants to "advance God's kingdom" through education.

link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

No, I am clarifying that she is not the reason for the decline in the Michigan School System. I understand that the main reason is charter schools and vouchers. This is a pain point. Here is my 2 cents on that...

Charter Schools - Hit or miss. There should be more regulation regarding the schools as some are excellent but some are used by those who are not there for the kids and exploit the system. Trump seems to be trying to put together a cabinet to clean house and by the look of it he will.

School vouchers - I am on the fence with this because my children attend private school and to be honest most of the vouchers are for kids not from needy or poor families but who have developmental issues. They are not 'allowed' in public school because they drive them out. It is bad for test scores. Ask a teacher. Since Common Core that is all you have is teachers working to create test takers not critical thinkers. It takes away from the people, like myself, who pay 10's of thousands for private education and wind up with classes filled with the kids public school will not teach.

So please, do not tell me I do not understand or do not have vested interest in this. My own children's future is at stake and I have read nothing stating she will be anything but an advocate to make school better.

link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

You know what? If Trump wants to appoint Nick Offerman as his Secretary of Education I will support that choice.

Where does he tend bar?

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Throes

Why should I fund your religious education? Go to Sunday school.

Why should I fund the public school when i send my kids to private school?

Why indeed? Why can't we choose to have our hard earned tax dollars fund the things WE want them to fund?

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs
a reply to: Xcalibur254

So it is ok to step on religious rights for abortion and gay marriage but school is off limits? Something that could actually help the kids instead of kill or confuse them?

And keeping Islamic terrorists from entering the country. That'll make you racist.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: carewemust
Are the children/teens who've been in the Obama/Dunkin pipeline the past 7 years, smarter and better equipped to face the world, than those who preceded them? What is the measure used to gauge that?

In all honesty, the intended measure used to gauge that is which political ethos they choose to follow upon turning 18. America's public schools are no longer about reading, writing, and arithmetic, they're all about indoctrinating the next generation of young minds into thinking the way the establishment wants them to think.Private and charter schools aren't beholden to that establishment and, thus, pose a tremendous threat to the goal... even more of a threat when programs like school choice and vouchers open their doors to even more young minds.

That makes TONS of sense, Burdman30ott6. It's just the same FEAR that's making Democrats break out in cold sweats, with everything that President Trump does. Nothing more.

For the sake of our children's futures, I wish Betsy Devos massive success! Those who don't wish her success are against our children's success. That's criminal.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

Define WORK in this case, in a schooling setting. What the ever-loving F has she taught, what classes, where, for how long

I doubt her "credentials" could be any worse than a community organizer as POTUS.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Where does he tend bar?

Hahahaha!!

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 03:31 PM
link   

a reply to: matafuchs

Abortions do not receive federal funding. Gay marriages do not receive federal funding.

What DeVos proposes would give religious schools federal funding via taxpayer paid for vouchers. Not only that DeVos has made it clear that the institutions that receive this federal funding wouldn't even have to follow federal laws. There's a huge difference and if you can't see it then you've been blinded by partisan politics.

Well, if you have to give up tax dollars to pay for something that you 100% don't support, let me know how it feels. I've had to pay subsidies for obamacare since it came out and I didn't like that or feel like it was fair when I didn't get any benefit from it.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: burntheships

originally posted by: Nyiah

Define WORK in this case, in a schooling setting. What the ever-loving F has she taught, what classes, where, for how long

I doubt her "credentials" could be any worse than a community organizer as POTUS.

Over and over and over again.

Don't bring Bush up when discussing Obama's presidency.

It's all on Obama.

How different when it's on the other foot.

link   

originally posted by: LSU0408

a reply to: FamCore

I've asked why people think she's qualified. Nobody has actually been able to point to anything tangible. Instead people say that we should trust Trump to make a good pick or that we need an outsider in charge of education.

Because instead of being force fed talking points, we're better off waiting to see how she actually performs. Not to mention, every negative prediction I've seen about Trump or his picks have yet to come true, so I think we're better off waiting.

She already has a history.

Why do you think so many fought against her?

Because Trump picked her.

link   

originally posted by: Throes

Why should I fund your religious education? Go to Sunday school.

Why should I fund the public school when i send my kids to private school?

Why indeed? Why can't we choose to have our hard earned tax dollars fund the things WE want them to fund?

You aren't going to get an argument from me on that one!

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 03:34 PM
link   

a reply to: FamCore

I've asked why people think she's qualified. Nobody has actually been able to point to anything tangible. Instead people say that we should trust Trump to make a good pick or that we need an outsider in charge of education.

Because instead of being force fed talking points, we're better off waiting to see how she actually performs. Not to mention, every negative prediction I've seen about Trump or his picks have yet to come true, so I think we're better off waiting.

She already has a history.

Why do you think so many fought against her?

Because Trump picked her.

NO

Her.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

This is America, where every day is a new day for Freedom.

Freedom lost will be regained, that is the nature of this country.

The John Dewey public "education" system is fair game, get over it.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

History in the making!!
The first time ever a cabinet nominee was so unpopular and incapable of getting the sufficient votes where the Vice President had to step in to nudge her over the edge!

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: allprowolfy
Bravo, bravo, now just maybe our American kids can get a decent meal to eat and no longer have to read literature like "Do you want to play with my balls".

Or "Fun With Tom and Harry" eh?

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join