It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Senate confirms DeVos as Education secretary Vice President Pence breaks 50-50 tie

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: xuenchen

This administration is going to destroy America.

Pence the deciding vote. Of course this disaster would be confirmed.

I hope people refuse to work for her. And boycott everything she puts out.

Good thing the new people in government are actually concerned about children.

I said I'd never homeschool. Reconsidering.

Because the schools might not encourage children to question their sexuality at 6 and fill their heads with lies about the "evil misogynistic white male patriarchy"?

Now the truth comes out.

You have issues.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

Is that the Joke of the Day?

More like then"Who's Who's" of who's in who's "money pocket".

Why don't you come up with a point of view or argument why you feel this way? So we can debate like adults?

Sometimes the obvious is just plain obvious.

Who in public/non-religious education actually supports DeVos?

DeVos huge financial supporter of Trump.

Well nothing is more obvious than your hate and bias towards the president.

Personally I think it has more to do with Trump than Devos and I don't think it's possible for the left to accept any choice he makes.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Throes

Your post doesn't really follow the debate we were having. But to be fair I'm not entirely convinced that people that send their kids to private/home school should have to pay for public education. On the on hand you're not using the service so why should you pay for it. On the other hand there's that whole Social Contract thing. Not to mention that whole "it takes a village to raise a child," thing.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: FamCore

I've asked why people think she's qualified. Nobody has actually been able to point to anything tangible. Instead people say that we should trust Trump to make a good pick or that we need an outsider in charge of education.

Because instead of being force fed talking points, we're better off waiting to see how she actually performs. Not to mention, every negative prediction I've seen about Trump or his picks have yet to come true, so I think we're better off waiting.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

Abortions do not receive federal funding. Gay marriages do not receive federal funding.

What DeVos proposes would give religious schools federal funding via taxpayer paid for vouchers. Not only that DeVos has made it clear that the institutions that receive this federal funding wouldn't even have to follow federal laws. There's a huge difference and if you can't see it then you've been blinded by partisan politics.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408

I've asked why people think she's qualified. Nobody has actually been able to point to anything tangible. Instead people say that we should trust Trump to make a good pick or that we need an outsider in charge of education.

Because instead of being force fed talking points, we're better off waiting to see how she actually performs. Not to mention, every negative prediction I've seen about Trump or his picks have yet to come true, so I think we're better off waiting.

She already has a history.

Why do you think so many fought against her?

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: AboveBoard

originally posted by: JacKatMtn
A victory for the children...

Defeat for the teacher's union...

Perfect

NOT a victory for the children. She screwed Michigan's schools.

She doesn't understand the IDEA act, she didn't say that Charter Schools under her plan would need to provide education to kids with disability, rural kids are especially going to get screwed...

Expect a slew of intense legal battles to preserve the integrity of our children's education. Expect to have more people protesting than ever before.

Seriously? We can expect a slew of legal battles now, but not for the past decade while our kids have the lowest reading and math proficiency test scores ever???? WTH gives! It's time you come to terms that the left is pissed off because this is a pick by Trump.

link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Not only that DeVos has made it clear that the institutions that receive this federal funding wouldn't even have to follow federal laws.

Could you include a source, please, confirming this statement. Please and Thank You.

link   
The best part is how this emphasizes how powerless the Dems are.

Betsy DeVos was confirmed as education secretary despite their 24 hour failibuster.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Fine. Let's not blame her directly. That doesn't change the fact that Michigan's education system is in the toilet and she wants to expand the philosophy used there to the entire country. What's makes you think the policies that failed so miserably there will suddenly work for the rest of the country?

Also, aren't you the one that said one of her "qualifications" is that she did a lot of good for education? But now you're saying the only thing she actually did was donate a lot of money to different organizations? I guess you're finally admitting she's not actually qualified in any way.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Bravo, bravo, now just maybe our American kids can get a decent meal to eat and no longer have to read literature like "Do you want to play with my balls".

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

She's never set foot in a public school. Her confirmation hearing illustrated that she has no clue about current debates in education. The policies she backs have been abysmal for Michigan's education system.

Can you name three things that qualify her for the position?

if this Trump supporters supported trumps nominees based on questions they answer at their hearing or actual relevant position in the civilian world, neither Trump nor any of the billionaires at our top posts would be qualified.
this is about being in too deep to go back. no Trump supporter will admittedly 'not like' any of his appointees, nor will they think anything trump does is close to wrong. partisanship esteem is at stake, forget real world impact of egotistical billionaires in power.

Yet that's exactly why the left refuses to acknowledge any of his picks. They're all extreme in the eyes of a democrat. This over abundance of partisanship has become a huge problem in and for this country.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

Look at video of her confirmation hearing when she was being questioned by Tim Kaine. For example, when he asked her about IDEA (a federal law) she stated that she would leave it up to the states.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408

She already has a history.

Why do you think so many fought against her?

Anti-Christian bigotry?

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I'd like to see a national effort to include a new program aimed at teaching the benefits of freedom, the American way of life and limited government.

Its a pipe dream, I know.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Is that the Joke of the Day?

More like the "Who's Who's" of who's in who's "money pocket".

I said I'd never homeschool. Reconsidering.

I think you're being too melodramatic over this and analyzing it at a level that's unhealthy for you. You've been spouting your opinion through this thread. Nobody knows what she'll do. Settle down, it's not the end of the world.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Dept. of Ed: Catholic H.S. Students Twice as Likely to Graduate College

Students who attended Catholic high schools were approximately twice as likely as students who attended public high schools to go on and graduate from college, according to a new report from the U.S. Department of Education’s National Center for Education Statistics.

According to the report, 61.9 percent of Catholic high school students went on to earn a bachelor’s degree or higher by the time they were 8 years out of high school. By contrast, only 31.1 percent of public school students had gone on to earn a bachelor’s degree or higher.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 03:19 PM
link   
So. . uh. . will the people who hate her now take their kids out of public schools and home-school?

Or are we just going to see more rioting, looting, destruction of property and harm to anyone who doesn't agree?

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 03:19 PM
link   

a reply to: LSU0408

Why should I fund your religious education? Go to Sunday school.

You shouldn't. I've never asked for your help. If I want something, I'll get it myself. Especially something as cheap as birth control pills.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 03:20 PM
link   

a reply to: queenofswords

Look at video of her confirmation hearing when she was being questioned by Tim Kaine. For example, when he asked her about IDEA (a federal law) she stated that she would leave it up to the states.

She didn't have the benefit of Donna Brazile.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join