It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Senate confirms DeVos as Education secretary Vice President Pence breaks 50-50 tie

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   
This administration is going to destroy America.

Pence the deciding vote. Of course this disaster would be confirmed.

I hope people refuse to work for her. And boycott everything she puts out.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

What has she done specifically that would warrant people boycotting her?

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   

you act like people not working for federal government is a threat to conservatives.

Conservatives are saying, check and mate.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: queenofswords

I find it funny that whenever one of Trump's boneheaded decisions actually gets approved his supporters are all for cooperation. Anything that happens now is on your head. We tried to warn you that DeVos was unqualified and sent Michigan's education system into the #ter. Instead you guys decided to be blinded by the Cult of Trump. This is going to be your mess and it's up to you to fix it.

Gladly! Now, sit back and watch what REAL leadership can accomplish. Too bad we will have to put up with the insanity of these types:www.abovetopsecret.com...

The woman in that video is a public school teacher?! And, she's not an isolated case.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
I hope people refuse to work for her. And boycott everything she puts out.

Well now, that will certainly be a fine example of putting children and their education first, won't it? "Kids, no school for an indefinite period of time while grown ups act like little spoiled babies and refuse to do their job as teachers because they disagree with someone chosen to serve the country in a role of authority over them."

But of course, it's all about the children...

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Controversial Betsy DeVos has been confirmed by the Senate.

She will be the Education Secretary.

The Senate voted 50/50 and for the first time, the President of the Senate (VP Mike Pence) cast the tie-breaking vote !!

First time a tie-breaker for a Cabinet Nominee !!

BREAKING: Senate confirms Betsy DeVos as Education secretary after Vice President Mike Pence breaks 50-50 tie

As a former certified educator, this is a horrific choice. Idiocy at its finest.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Ahhh, refusing to work and boycotting, the new liberal way of getting things done!! Don't worry, I will keep working, being taxed at the highest of brackets, while supporting all of you refuse-to-work liberals who only have time to protest and complain...
edit on 7-2-2017 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: avgguy

What has she done specifically that would warrant people boycotting her?

She holds different opinions than they do. Acceptance and diversity would appear to now be single edged blades.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Since funding is going to go to private schools, including religious ones, there will be new Islamic
Education schools too...Just saying.

I don't want my
Tax dollars going to
Someone who doesn't
Understand how
Funding for
Special Needs kids
Works and who will
Not make private schools
Take on special needs students
While public schools that are
Bound by law to teach special needs kids
Are defunded.

My son's current public
School is excellent and
His teachers superlative.
Don't tell me the system is all crap.

I homeschool my second child due to his
Medical status. Our small city has amazing schools.

I also don't want my tax dollars to fund private schools that teach science is crap because
It disagrees with the school's religion programming.

I see people saying that her appointment will lead to "choice" when in practice it will lead
To greater education inequality and to people being forced to choose between defunded secular schools, private schools of varying quality, and private religious schools that are now voucher funded. I think DeVos would love to have that very set-up (people "choosing" religious schools) as her mission is religious in nature by her own words.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 01:59 PM
link   
So DeVos is going to be teaching all the children in all the public schools and she sucks because she isn't a smart teacher? And she'll teach children stupid stuff because she's not smart like all the leftists who have been doing SUCH a bang-up job!!!

Or is she going to start holding educators accountable?

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I don't see why kids should be sacrificed because THEIR parents don't care.

Just because you have crappy parents doesn't mean you should be hung out to dry when it comes to education.

and i'm less concerned with the deadbeat parents living off welfare and sending their kids off to school as cheap childcare than I am with the hardworking parents with two jobs living paycheck-to-paycheck who can't afford to spend the time or money to send their kids to a private school.

We'll see how this goes, if the vouchers cover 100% of the cost of whatever school you want to send your kid to and will provide transportation in and out of disadvantaged areas then it might be a plus, but i'm worried it'll make the hardships of educating your child with low income even harder.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   
So if DeVos gets her way that means that religious schools will be receiving federal funding. Does that mean I can opt out of paying for schools since some of that money is going towards a religion I don't believe in? Or will any religious schools that receive federal vouchers be forced to pay taxes and conform with federal mandates (ie IDEA)?

Either way I can definitely see lawsuits coming down the pipeline pretty quickly.
edit on 2/7/2017 by Xcalibur254 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I am no familiar with this lady so I have not much to say about how she will perform.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

That's interesting, I agree, we are not forced to pay for religion in this nation, specially to support it, taking tax dollars to pay for religious schools is the same as having people pay to support religious organizations.

I do not support organized religion of any kind or form so that will be something I will never support.

Very good, point.

link   
a reply to: marg6043

Neither do I, but I'm thinking she's going to be great because everyone is losing their minds over her.

Our system is bad.

People want to keep it bad, which is crazy to begin with, but now they don't want to do anything that might improve it.

link   
Has anyone here actually been to a school board meeting?

Unless I have been Mandellaed I am pretty sure MOST of your local education decisions are made AT THIS LEVEL.
You know the whole whats not mandated to the fed belongs to the state and all of that.....

go to a local meeting ....you will be surprised
edit on 7/2/2017 by shooterbrody because: i cant type today madnn it

link   

originally posted by: AboveBoard

originally posted by: JacKatMtn
A victory for the children...

Defeat for the teacher's union...

Perfect

NOT a victory for the children. She screwed Michigan's schools.

She doesn't understand the IDEA act, she didn't say that Charter Schools under her plan would need to provide education to kids with disability, rural kids are especially going to get screwed...

Expect a slew of intense legal battles to preserve the integrity of our children's education. Expect to have more people protesting than ever before.

There is no integrity for a system that was meant to, and has been indoctrinating the children from infancy all throughout adolescence and beyond. Why do you think society is the way it is now? The whole entire elite left conglomerates (aka the swamp) have all been apart of this indoctrination, including the schools, entertainment, news etc.

It's time for a needed change and if it isn't clear to anyone why the left are so anti-trump regardless of what he does. This post is a clue

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Well what can I say, DBCowboy, she is a Trump nominee so she is bad, because everything Trump is bad.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: queenofswords

I find it funny that whenever one of Trump's boneheaded decisions actually gets approved his supporters are all for cooperation. Anything that happens now is on your head. We tried to warn you that DeVos was unqualified and sent Michigan's education system into the #ter. Instead you guys decided to be blinded by the Cult of Trump. This is going to be your mess and it's up to you to fix it.

All the successes will be emphasized as well.

Bigly.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

Humm, I used to teach Spanish in the county I live in for years, the school meetings are not all that, school board meetings are a lot of hoopla but people don't do much.

And as for the school lessons or what is done in the classroom, well every school year it came in a box and all I had to do was to follow the instructions.

What that tells you.

If school is failing the children lets find out who makes those stupid lesson books that read like recipe books.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join